The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tom O'Ryan

Home Forums Horse Racing Tom O'Ryan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6784
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

What awful news another victim of the abhorrent cancer really hope they find a cure sometime.

RIP Tom and condolences to friends and family

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

A very decent bloke by all accounts.

Rest in peace, Tom O’Ryan.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6126

Never met Tom but he came across as a fine man. Condolences to friends and family

TimJames
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Awful news. Liked by everyone and will be hugely missed. Condolences to family and friends. RIP Tom

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

There’s not much anyone can say in these circumstances is there?

Very sad news. That bloody disease strikes again. 😥

R.I.P Tom. Thoughts with family and friends.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9201

He seemed to be universally respected. Condolences to all his friends and family.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I have to admit I shed a tear when I heard the news.

When I was spending my time in the press rooms I always knew a trip ‘ooop north would almost invariably be brightened by Tom’s presence.

The Northern press circuit is very close knit and it can be very hard to be accepted – the first comment when I walked into a northern press room was “who the **** are you?”, however you would get none of that from Tom, from the very first time I met him he was always welcoming, friendly and helpful. If you wanted to know anything about the northern racing scene Tom was the go-to man.

His knowledge of the northern racing scene was unrivaled and because he was part of it he was also trusted so could get many of the stories nobody else could.

He had a very dry sense of humour, which didn’t come across very well on TV.

Sadly it’s no surprise he succumbed to lung cancer, he was a chain smoker, I think a piece to camera for Racing UK probably tested his ability not to smoke to the absolute limit. I also heard a few tales of the lengths he would go to so he could have a crafty fag when he was recovering from the terrible mower accident a few years ago.

I only knew him for a few years, how much more difficult must his passing be for those who worked with him for so many years in the racing industry.

It’s a cliché but Tom’s passing will leave a massive gap in many peoples lives – I’m glad I knew him, albeit only briefly.

My thoughts are with his family both his “blood” family but all the members of his “racing family” who I know will miss him dearly.

RIP Tom

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4884

His knowledge of the northern racing scene was unrivaled and because he was part of it he was also trusted so could get many of the stories nobody else could.

He had a very dry sense of humour, which didn’t come across very well on TV.

Nice to have a tribute from someone who actually knew him. I can well believe he had the qualities of a decent man.

I was listening to Tylicki on ATR and he said something along the lines that jockeys always liked to do interviews with him because he wouldn’t ask any awkward questions.

Rather than a tribute isn’t that really just an indictment of the racing media?

I think it is unfortunate that people will probably know him mostly as a broadcaster because if we are honest I don’t think that field was ever going to play to his strengths.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1878

Exactly Stilvi. I’m glad someone else said that as I didn’t want to be the first to wake up the elephant in the room.

It’s good that the tributes to O’Ryan are generally overlooking his rather awkward broadcasting and voiceover work. Still, the fact that he was able to fashion himself into a busy presenter in spite of everything shows a great deal. His grassroots racing knowledge was outstanding and everyone in the whole racing world seemed to hold him very dear. Nobody, even on Twitter, has said a bad word about him as a person. That’s a very rare feat nowadays!

Above all O’Ryan was a true believer. There are too many plastic racing fans who focus on the big events and can’t understand the beauties of low-grade racing. O’Ryan had the empathy and awareness to sell the midweek delights.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.