The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing Colours

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing Colours

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    LRM
    • Total Posts 132

Does anyone know of any websites out there where, if I input racing colours, it’ll tell me whose colours they are?

:shrug:

Thanks in advance.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I don’t know if there is such a site or not.

Is there a particular set of colours you want to know. If so post it up and somebody might know who owns them.

LRM
    • Total Posts 132

The colours aren’t terribly clear – that’s one of the problems, but I’ve tried to make them out the best I can (from a picture I was given at the weekend).

Jockey number one:<br>(what looks like) Lime green body & sleeves, lime green cap. (No patterns anywhere from what I can see.)

Jockey number two:<br>yellow body with something grey on it, plain yellow sleeves, yellow cap.

Sorry for the utter vagueness but it’s kind of a half profile view too so I can’t make out what pattern is on the second jockey. I don’t even know if it’s English!

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

The first set of silks could be John Fretwell’s but the second have me foxed.

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

The only thing I could have thought the second one might have been was the owner of Cassandra Go who had yellow silks with silver/grey chevrons on the body but I would have thought that would have been more obvious as there was so much grey involved.

Is John Fretwell the owner of the juveniles trained by Eoghan O’Neill (apologies for spelling mistakes there if there are some!)?

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

He certainly is,his horses used to run in black and red quartered colours if I recall and he bought the current colours earlier on this year.

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Cheers GD

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

The Cassandra Go colours are those of Trevor Stewart, essentially Primrose and Grey Hoops. Mrs Denis Haynes’s colours are Primrose with a Grey Sash.

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

France-Galop has a colour check system – put in the colours and it tells you if they are registered, or who they belong too.  mergecolourHowever, it only covers France. 🙁 <br>(It’s quite fun, though).

The only owner with the yellow/grey combination as described is Gerard Andre, but he hasn’t had any runners in Britain recently, nor in the three races that Fretwell’s horses have competed in abroad recently.

Can’t see a recent race it could be here, but still looking.

IRSHEYEZ
    • Total Posts 223

After reading bears post about Silks i was wandering what is your favourite coloured silks in racing  in both flat and NH? I like the black silks of magnier on the flat and in the NH i like Malcom Denmarks who has most of his horses with Mark Pitman.

• Total Posts 2432

I’ve always been fond of Khalid Abdullah’s on the flat since the great years of Warning, Rainbow Quest and of course, the magnificent Dancing Brave.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Quote: from IRSHEYEZ on 8:55 pm on Jan. 17, 2006[br]After reading bears post about Silks i was wandering what is your favourite coloured silks in racing  in both flat and NH? I like the black silks of magnier on the flat …<br>

<br>Black eh?

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

Well, i would call it black as well. It is such a dark shade of blue, that it practically IS black. Agreed, i love them as well,

Rock of Gibraltar’s silks were beautiful, abdullah’s as well, cheveley park stud’s, tabor’s and the elite club’s are ok.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Sorry for being picky but I think Magniers are actually navy not black.

I don’t really have a favourite set of silks as such although I get a buzz from seeing a race with all the top owners being represented (Goldophin, Magnier, Khallid Abdullah, Chevley Park, Aga Khan, etc) Really gives the impression of a top-class race.

This site is quite good regarding solid colours:

http://www.georgianindex.net/Sport/Horse/Colours.html<br>

Mr Frisk
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

Crazy quilt.

Nothing else comes close.

Gizmogirl
    • Total Posts 60

Yes to Sheik Mo’s personal colours. Also the silks of Lord Derby, Helena Springfield Ltd, Louis Freedman, Cheveley Park Stud, Fahd Salman, Lord Howard de Walden, Trevor Hemmings…not sure how jocks felt about wearing Mrs Mars Valentine’s colours…

Simplicity and ubiquity I’d have as factors for a ‘classic’ silk…and as a personal preference, visibility (Lord Howard de Waldens were chosen with this in mind).

(Edited by Gizmogirl at 12:25 am on Jan. 18, 2006)<br>

(Edited by Gizmogirl at 12:09 am on Jan. 19, 2006)

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Agree with Gizmogirl about simplicity being key ~ would agree even more about ubiquity, but that would suggest I understand what the word means 😉

Almost by definition, silks carried to victory in great races are great silks ~ I have a hankering after Stan Riley’s garish colours which have been on the missing list since Burrough Hill Lad finished his glorious career. I also like the colours of Miles Valentine, but might not have worn them. Another stalwart of the Winter yard at around the same time as the Valentines were the Jacksons and I loved Olive Jackson’s colours of Purple Green and Yellow, horrible as they sound.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.