The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni's Poni's Season 5

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni's Poni's Season 5

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 340 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

What a beautiful horse Jac!!! Hope you enjoyed it!! Yes I am all over Swiss Range tomorrow. She looked a very good prospect last time. I think Mengli Khan is better than he has shown so far and will go well in the last and I have also had a little bit on Usherette as Andre Fabre doesn’t send them over here for the beer.

In the Guineas, well a bit like today, O’Brien SHOULD win it. Minding was awesome last year and the other one ain’t half bad either but I just can’t trust them first time out – especially his fillies so I have had a couple of speculative each ways at decent prices. I was really impressed with Nathra in the Nell Gwynn and it is interesting that they are sending her here to take on the fav again as they said immediately after the NG that she would probably go to France. She could round off an incredible weekend for Frankie. I have also had a little fun with Chris Wall’s filly Mix and Mingle. I know she has plenty to find but she is a gorgeous filly who came there travelling really well in the NG only to get a bit tired in the sticky ground. I think she will appreciate the drying ground and could see her running into a place if the Irish horses don’t fire.

£25ew Usherette – 7-1 – 2.25 Newmarket winner
    £25ew Nathra – 10-1 – 1,000 Guineas lost
    £25ew Mix and Mingle – 40-1 – 1,000 Guineas lost
    £25ew Mengli Khan – 10-1 – 5.25 Newmarket lost
    £80 win Swiss Range – 2-1 – 4.50 Newmarket winner
    £1ew Lucky 15 (2 bets)

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

+ £1,716.69

Just off on me travels so just a quick post but superb performances from fillies today. Watch Usherette win Group 1’s aplenty. Minding looks as good a filly as I have seen and Swiss Range has bags of potential. Hope you enjoyed a cracking weekend Jac!!!

PS keep a little eye out for Mix and Mingle – she was running a stormer until she was stopped in her tracks 2f out. WOuldn’t have won but would have finished closer. Could be one for the Jersey Stakes……

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 16413

Had a great weekend thank you Joni and regained all my losses on the Saturday with Swiss Range and Taqdeer and a couple of nice each ways on Yeeoow in the 3rd who ran 4th (16/1 taken) and New Calendonia 3rd in the last to Taqdeer (40/1 taken). Mengli Khan disappointing in that one, I think the ground dried out too much for him.

Enjoy your travels and well done with Swiss Range and Usherette yesterday (even though she nabbed the lead of my Arabian Queen) I’ll forgive her. I think Barzelona came over just to ride her so that was a tip in itself that I chose to ignore :wacko: ..Jac :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks Jac. Glad you had some winners! Just arrived in Hong Kong but time to place a couple of little bets. I liked the look of Western Prince at Newmarket and I want to give Round Two another chance.

£30 win Western Prince – 7-2 – 2.50 Windsor loser
    £30ew Round Two – 8-1 – Curragh 3.00 loser
    £10 win double

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

+£1,616.69

Just one bet today. It is time for Copper Knight to lose his maiden tag.

£75 win Copper Knight – 11-4 – 2.10 Chester winner

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

£1,822.94

Another good winner for HP and this one looks like he is improving with every run.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Can’t resist a little bet on HP at 50’s for the trainer’s title. Why not?

£25 win Hugo Palmer – Champion Trainer – 50-1

Participant
    • Total Posts 16413

Well done Joni…Copper Knight won that really well and goes into my notebook too.
    Everything seems to be going Hugo’s way at at the moment and his horses are looking very impressive..good luck with the trainer’s title bet. :good: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks Jac. He probably won’t win it this year but it won’t be long…..

Today I have a feeling old Gabrial might run well. I can’t see where the pace is going to come from and the fav ran really badly the last time he was on a tight track. My selection’s form is pretty consistent and he might just run a big race off a slow gallop.

£25ew Gabrial – 9-1 – 2.40 Chester loser

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Didn’t see it but sounded like a messy race.

I have been weighing up a couple of ante post bets and seeing as I have a little bit in the account at the moment I have decided now is the best time.

I was really impressed with Massaat in the Guineas. He was staying on really well at the finish and has the look of a horse who will improve for a trip. He has plenty of class and is being aimed at the Derby. At the moment I can’t help feeling that the market is dominated by two horses who are yet to achieve anything special but who owe their positions in the market to their trainers. Massaat now how has the form in the book and I think he is much more likely to stay a mile and a half than Galileo Gold who, in my opinion, should be kept at a mile. Perhaps US Army Ranger is about to blow a big whole in this theory but I am happy to take 20’s about a horse with classic form who is being aimed at the race.

My second bet is for Ryan Moore to win the Jockeys Championship. I know there is a long way to go and his price is short but I can’t help feeling he should be the favourite for this and that his odds are going to quickly contract. SDS has been wonderful for me but in some ways he is now a victim of his own success as he is getting rides at the big meetings but still not the BEST rides. I don’t think he is going to be able to pick up as many easy wins as he did last year. Ryan on the other hand is invariable riding the very best and his strike rate is exceptional. He would have run SDS close last year without injury and I think as long as he stays healthy the title is his this year.

£75ew Maasaat – 20-1 – The Derby
    £400 win – Ryan Moore – 7-4 – Jockeys Championship

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

That was good timing with Maasaat and the right decision by HP I think. This is part of what makes great trainers great – the ability and intuition to know your horses and place them in the right races.

There are two that I like tomorrow. Ajman Princess is a great looking filly who ran really well on debut at Sandown. I would expect her to win this maiden. Dartmouth is a horse to be followed this year. SMS is back at his best this season and this is just the type of horse that he has excelled with in the past – a late maturer. SMS never rushes them when they are young and this pays dividends as they get older.

£80 win Ajman Princess – 6-4 – 6.30 Ascot loser
    £80 win Dartmouth – 15-8 – 3.10 Chester winner
    £40 win double

Mora4ok
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1

It was very close for double win. :wacko:

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

It was very close for double win. :wacko:

+ £1,837.94

Hi Mora – yes just seen it. She looked all over the winner didn’t she? Still that’s racing and Stoute has his horses in such good form.

On to today and two bets. I always like backing 3 year olds against their elders at this time of year as the weight advantage is very much in their favour. So an old friend of mine Tutu Nguru fits the bill in a much easier race to the ones she had been running in. I have also backed HP’s filly in the trial as I know they think a lot of her.

£50 win Architecture – 5-2 – 3.25 Lingfield lost
    £50ew Tutu Nguru – 4-1 – 3.40 Ascot placed

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

+£1,787.94

A bout of seconditus at the moment with the last three tips being touched off. Looking forward to the Derby trial but can’t decide who will win. The Beckett horse is well fancied and Jac loved the look of AOB’s horse last time out but you can’t rule out anything Stoute runs at present and I liked Godolphin’s colt when I saw him win at Newmarket! To be honest they could all win so will just watch.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Looking forward to a cracking week of racing culminating with the TRF meet up at Newbury on Saturday.

I have already had 4 bets for tomorrow. Hugo Palmer is flying and Spanish Squeeze looks the type to improve from 3 to 4 as he is very unexposed and had some good form last year.

I am a big fan of Henry Candy and his Twilight Son is a very nice price for a horse that has won first time out both times and has only been beaten once. He has the fav to beat but I think he will go close.

If you believe the gallops reports then So Mi Dar is past the post in the Musidora. The form of her Epson win is working out really well with the runner up winning a Derby trial last week and, though she is a short price, I expected her to be long odds-on.

Finally Johnny G has another good chance in the following handicap as apparently Castle Harbour is working well and has a mark of only 86.

£35ew Spanish Squeeze – 5-1 – 2.10 York loser
    £50ew Twilight Son – 4-1 – 3.15 York loser
    £150 win So Mi Dar – 5-6 – 3.45 York won
    £35ew Castle Harbour – 8-1 – 4.20 York won
    £2ew Lucky 15

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So I have just spent a frantic 10 minutes trying to get some prices on the Lockinge. The ground is currently soft heavy in places and it is still raining here where I am so I can’t see the race taking place on anything better than good to soft more likely soft. This will take a number of contenders out of the reckoning like Limato, Dutch Connection and Arod. Two who don’t mind a bit of mud are Toormore and Belardo and I have taken the best prices I could about them.

I am convinced Belardo was given a poor ride last time at Sandown and his trainer strongly hinted at the same when interviewed last week. He had 15 lengths to make up in the straight and was beaten 2. Whilst he might not be top class, I think he has found his way again after a poor three year old season and I think he will run into a place. I missed the 14’s by seconds so have had to settle with 12’s.

Toormore looked magnificent at Sandown and, for a horse who was supposedly in need of a run, he kept on brilliantly. He may actually have improved again this year and I think he will be hard to beat. I have snaffled the 7’s.

£100ew Toormore 7-1 – Lockinge Newbury loser
    £100ew Belardo 12-1 – Lockinge Newbury winner

Participant
    • Total Posts 31448

Welcome aboard the good ship Toormore Joni.
    I keep saying every year the horse will improve from the last, the difference from 3 to 4 was massive, if he’s improved physically again this year he’ll be some brute, I cant wait until he is Premio Loco’s age.
    Hannon has been in good form of late as well and is on the whole very good at getting them ready for a big target.
    See you Saturday mate.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 340 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.