The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2017 Champion Hurdle

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2017 2017 Champion Hurdle

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 710 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Yorkhill was entered in both the Drinmore and the Hattons Grace but now won’t be running until Christmas

Participant
    • Total Posts 6126

Final call if you want to take the chance on Altior. I believe he might not find it easy around Sandown tomorrow. I’m also convinced that Nicky is far from confident they’ve made the right choice in going chasing with this horse this season. It seems altior’s age was the main driver, but with the CH market looking such a mess and the possibility of facing Min in the Arkle, they must surely be having second thoughts?

One bad blunder tomorrow could see them drawing stumps and reverting. If they do that he’d just about be favourite. There’s some 40s + left on Betfair.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4884

Final call if you want to take the chance on Altior. I believe he might not find it easy around Sandown tomorrow. I’m also convinced that Nicky is far from confident they’ve made the right choice in going chasing with this horse this season. It seems altior’s age was the main driver, but with the CH market looking such a mess and the possibility of facing Min in the Arkle, they must surely be having second thoughts?

Can you supply the quote which suggests Henderson is ‘far from confident’? I can’t remember seeing anything. If Henderson was that concerned would he be going to Sandown on his second start?

As for Min why would they be running scared of a horse they absolutely hammered in the Supreme? I would have thought Min would be the one looking to avoid another drubbing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6126

Min jumped better than Altior did on his debut imo.

This is not the only video in which NJH expresses his lack of all out commitment to fencing.

An awful lot rests on tomorrow. He could jump better than he did at Kempton and seal his place over fences for the season, or he could win despite errors although I believe CHarbel will give him a good race and might just beat him.

The CH bet is speculative, I know and at 10s I’d ignore it. But at 40s it’s well worth taking the chance. I’ll know my fate pretty early tomorrow. My main hope is that the horse comes out of the race safe and sound however he jumps.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4884

Min jumped better than Altior did on his debut imo.

This is not the only video in which NJH expresses his lack of all out commitment to fencing.

<iframe width=”1170″ height=”658″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/xb9J0GKa__o?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

An awful lot rests on tomorrow. He could jump better than he did at Kempton and seal his place over fences for the season, or he could win despite errors although I believe CHarbel will give him a good race and might just beat him.

The CH bet is speculative, I know and at 10s I’d ignore it. But at 40s it’s well worth taking the chance. I’ll know my fate pretty early tomorrow. My main hope is that the horse comes out of the race safe and sound however he jumps.

Thanks. I am assuming this was prior to Kempton? To me Henderson gives the impression of being one of racing’s great worriers and he is saying nothing more than what anyone might reasonably expect.

Personally, I don’t even think Min should be ahead of Identity Thief in the Arkle market. Identity Thief achieved more over hurdles and has done considerably more over fences.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Henderson was a nervous wreck watching Sprinter Sacre a couple of years ago. His better seasons in recent yeaars came when Ben Pauling was his assistant, Geraghty and AP were riding for him – there was far more confidence and positivity in the yard. The lack of runners in the big handicap chases this weekend – it happens far too often for such a big stable.

Altior should be running in the Champion, particularly as the Mullins giants appear to be on the sick list.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I wholeheartedly agree that My Tent Or Yours was (and still might be?) a nonsense 50/1 shot. I too have availed myself of quite a bit, plus a bunch of EW multiples. At 12.5/1 for a place, that’s just way too tempting.

I wouldn’t have thought he’d be up to winning, but he’s very capable of running to 170. If neither Annie Power nor Faugheen made it to the Fez though, MTOY could easily go off favourite.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31926

Yanworth now re-routed to the Champion. Best of the British.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 14920

Confirmed by the trainer that he’s going over hurdles Botchy.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5985

Confirmed by the trainer that he’s going over hurdles Botchy.

[/quote]

Good news VTC, they must be aiming him at something crazy. :wacko:

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Can’t see Yanworth running in the Champion Hurdle. He keeps clouting at least one hurdle, he’s pretty slow over his hurdles and I think he’ll generally be pretty outpaced over 2m. Can easily see him going for the World Hurdle.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31926

Can’t see Yanworth running in the Champion Hurdle. He keeps clouting at least one hurdle, he’s pretty slow over his hurdles and I think he’ll generally be pretty outpaced over 2m. Can easily see him going for the World Hurdle.

Unowhatimeanharry and Jezki are World Hurdle bound, Zark. Doubt JP really wants three in the Stayers and only old My Tent Or Yours in the Champion. Yanworth was too free at Ascot over 2m3f, imo won’t get 3m. Didn’t show that much pace on reappearance, but seemed to show plenty of speed last year. Don’t judge too harshly on the Neptune, yard out of form at the time. If I was having a bet on the Champion Hurdle right now, it would be him.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

No use forcing a square into a circle, Ginger. If he’s not quick enough for the Christmas Hurdle, which I think he might struggle to be, he’ll run in the World Hurdle. If I can get 25+ about the best horse winning the World Hurdle, based purely on speculation about his target, I’ll take it! He’d beat anything that’s going to be running. Class horse.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Just noticed that My Tent Or Yours has been placed on every career start. Makes that 50/1 look truly ridiculous.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6126

The way Yanworth jumped the last 2 at Ascot suggests, to me at least, he had quite a bit in the locker. Although all racereaders mark him as being keen, Geraghty never had any problems restraining him (albeit he has excellent hands) and if I were being unkind I’d say it was more that the horse ran in snatches.

I got the definite impression he could have gone past the runner-up when he wanted but he just thought about it for ten seconds before consenting and finished with quite a bit in the tank.

I’m pretty sure he’s not at all straightforward despite his consistency and would consider him a risky bet in any race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6126

Just noticed that My Tent Or Yours has been placed on every career start. Makes that 50/1 look truly ridiculous.

6 of his 14 hurdle starts have been in fields of 6 or fewer

lionroars
    Participant
    • Total Posts 167

i think yanworth would have been more impressive if the gallop had been a lot stronger. think see a real good horse of a strong pace

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 710 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.