The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Your most successful return?

Home Forums Horse Racing Your most successful return?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 128

November 2009.
    Greyhounds 50p straight forecast patent = £3.50 (big spender eh?, just a bit of lunchtime fun in the city).
    The returns on each race to a £1 stake were something like £18, £20, £22.

With Coral’s 10% bonus for a winning patent, I walked out of the shop with around £4,500.
    I put the bet on at lunchtime and saw one race in there come in. Was I surprised when I returned after work to see the other two had also won.

I tried to quickly work out how much I should be paid out when I went to the counter and stopped working out when I knew it should be in excess of £4k.

They asked me if I wanted cash (assume they would have written out a cheque), so I took the cash but that was a a bit nervy trying to hide my sizeable envelope stashed with cash under my suit jacket. It was also a pain getting to a bank branch to pay in as well.

I’ve had ‘bit and pieces’ ever since, but nothing like that day and the losers are more than what I have staked.

Father_Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 56

Ha, funny you start a thread like this.

Did me bo**ox constantly since having £5 on Cool Ground in the 1992 Gold Cup got me addicted- until 2006 when I had to walk 6 miles home in the rain to no food in the cupboard due to having no money. And had £20K of debts.

Came back to the game (won’t explain circumstances) in 2018. And on Friday last I laid Nicholl’s nag at 1/10 with a liabilty of £200. £2000 to me then. Biggest win ever.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1799

Back in the days when I was still in my twenties, thought I was God’s ****ing gift to gambling, single, half-decent job, few financial commitments and I bet accordingly.

Tote Jackpot rollover, did a £576 permutation and got incredibly lucky with the results, longest-priced selection winning the first five races, leaving me with five of the field of eight running for me in the last.

If an outsider called My Derya (from memory, or was that fav?) had won I would have copped the lot all to myself, but the race went to the 5/2 second favourite Tree Poppy, not as exciting but still one of my quintet.

I still picked up a shade over £40,000, though.

Being just as boring then as I am now, I simply used the cash to pay off most of my mortgage and treated myself to an extra popadom with my Indian takeaway that night.

I always did know how to live!

That was in 1989 – never had a pick up within £30,000 of that from that day to this.

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1953

£10,165.20 from a £10 patent. A Michael Jarvis trained sprinter won the first leg, a horse I cannot recall won the second. At that point we headed out to blow the few hundred quid that was coming my way. Went home legless and watched the freeview-recorder incredulous as Extraterrestrial won a big cavalry charge for Fahey at 25’s.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1799

Brilliant TTC – proportionately far better than mine.

Think yours nets out at something like a 143/1 winner.

Mine was only 69/1.

Superb.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 128

I suppose for my £3.50 that nets out as 1,286/1 winner.
    Bought a TV which I still have today, got Sky which lasted until 2014 because they kept putting up the price too much each year, and paid off a loan.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1799

Yes, GSP, that’s even better still.

I basically had a once-in-a-lifetime decent bet on a 69/1 winner, not even three figures.

TTC’s “Perfect Patent” WAS three figures – and yours was FOUR figures!

Top bombing!

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 128

Thanks ID! Sure it won’t be repeated unless a forecast yankee comes up!
    I couldn’t imagine doing a forecast on the horses. With dogs, just the six runners but nowadays it’s seems harder to pick winners as the form is so jumbled and with handicap dogs in there as well.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27776

Mine wasn’t as much as most on here. I don’t do multiples.
    Exactly the same horse / race as Dave Nevison’s biggest single win.

Watched Rooster Booster’s impressive victory in the November 2002 Greatwood Hurdle on TV. Winning by an easy 7 lengths off a mark of 155 carrying 11 stone 12 lbs. Thought he’d be favourite for the Champion Hurdle, Must have around a 25% chance so I’d take 4/1 or greater. Big Mac came on, if I remember rightly some had Rooster Booster 5/1, some 6/1, a couple had 8/1… I picked up the phone and started to dial the number… One 12/1. So dialled again. Had my normal bet, put the phone down and immediately regretted it. Went in again!

Few days later my Timeform Perspective came, describing the performance as “good enough to win three of the last four Champion Hurdles”. 12/1 had long gone but 8/1 still available… Went in again!… But this is too good to be true…

Couple of days later found myself in town, very close to Ladbrokes. Still 8/1 available. My idea of its true chance was (after what I read in Timeform) now at least around 30% and still 11% being offered!!! That difference has never happened to me before or since.. You guessed!

After another couple of easy victories (not improving on the form) Rooster Booster started 11/8 fav for the 2003 Champion Hurdle. You might think I was confident when easing to the front under restraint two out and then going clear. But in the past Rooster Booster had sometimes pulled himself up in front / idled… Shouted at the TV “what the …. are you doing Richard”! The horse then made a mistake at the last and my heart was in my mouth. In truth it was only really a slight error, didn’t stop momentum and thankfully this time there was no idling. Winning by 2 1/2 lengths. “Great ride Richard”!

value is everything
    Kendicate
    Participant
    • Total Posts 137

Love these stories, great to hear the crazy ways people land big payouts.

I think this is where the future of punting lies, smaller punters having a shot at big returns on mulitples/ pool bets (ala what Colossus bets is trying to do). Problem is getting awareness and popularity to drive the bug jackpots.

Anyhow, my biggest return was a yankee on 2 races at Royal ascot and 2 races at the irish jumps fixture in the evening in June 2019, myself, my brother and 2 mates all put a selection in (which we do every Saturday and also every day of the big festivals) and combined it in a e/w yankee and e/w accumulator (£16.00 total stake).

The first 2 at Royal Ascot both won I think around 10s and 8s, one of the winners just got up on the line. Then it moved on to Wexford in the evening, my selection went in as the third leg, horse called Bay Hill which is a JP nag around 8/1.

We were frantically trying to decide whether we should hedge / cash out part of the bet, luckily my brother who had put the bet on for the group was on a flight so we were a bit hamstrung there. Anyway we let it ride onto the last leg which was a horse called Smithscorner which duly obliged at 7s.

We netted £24K between the 4 of us.

Individually my biggest pick up was the Exacta in the county Hurdle 2018 Mohaayed and Remiluc paid £3,240. Had a £1 combination with those 2 and Spiritofthegames which finished 5th. A near miss on the trifecta.

My brother had a great touch on his own last year with a Yankee that paid out £14K one of the selections was the horse that finished last but was promoted to winner as all the other runners wrongly omitted one of the hurdles and his selection jumped it. Massive slice of luck.

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1637

Ginge, Rooster Booster went off at 9-2 and won by 11 lengths in 2003.

The celebrations must have clouded your memory. :wacko:

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 513

A few hundred quid maybe.

Salut A Toi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

In the early 90s, a pal and I won the “superjackpot” at Hove dogs. The bet was a tricast treble on three closely graded races. I think if you got through the first two legs you got a consolation dividend but if no one won the third leg the pot rolled over and it was up to £18k when we struck.

To be fair I knew very little about dogs whereas he was a long standing owner at the track and a very good judge and he did most of the work so I feel slightly guilty (all these years later lol) for taking 50% of the pool but I suppose I did put up 50% of the stake (£4.80?) and arguably it was my whacky selection of outsider Kenya who got up for third in the second leg that knocked most other people out.

As it happens it was a bit of a double edged sword as once I’d upgraded my car, I did bet rather recklessly with my new found wealth when I probably should have been more prudent. Oh well, all part of life’s rich tapestry.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 128

Well done Salut A Toi, I thought a straight forecast patent was pretty decent, but a tricast treble, that’s some going!

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27776

Thanks for putting me right Gladiateur. :good:
    I was looking up Rooster Booster whole record yesterday. Thought 11/8 didn’t seem right when it said 11/8 for the Champion Hurdle…

…The 2004 Champion Hurdle, not 2003!!! :whistle:

Doh!!! :rose:

value is everything
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.