The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Your Favourite NH Ride Ever.

Home Forums Horse Racing Your Favourite NH Ride Ever.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 90

Looking at the favourite jump horses topic got me thinking about all of my old favourites, as well as the present ones and one of the names that came to mind was Morley Street.

It brought back the memory of what a talented horse he was, winning 5 times in a row at the Aintree National meeting. The most vivid memory though was the ride Graham Bradley gave the horse in the last of those wins in April 1993, when he absolutely cantered all over his full brother and reigning champion hurdler Granville Again.

I recently came across the video of that race when moving house and watched it for the first time in many years and the performance of the horse and jockey still gives me a buzz. The coolness of Graham Bradley to hold on to the horse before asking him to quicken on the run in has to be seen to be believed!

If you have not seen the race, then hopefully you will have the chance one day, as for me it’s one of the best rides I have seen from a NH jockey.

zome
    • Total Posts 232

Richard Johnson on Anzum in the 99 Stayers! I don’t usually think Johnson is anything special in the saddle, but that finish on Anzum… fantastic!!!

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

It was far from stylish, but Graham Lee’s ride aboard Inglis Drever at Cheltenham in 2006 was truly incredible.

Turning for home you wouldn’t have given the pair a chance, Lee seemingly working his ar*e off just to keep tabs on the leading group. But he steadily brought Drever into the race, eased him into the final flight and gave him enough on the run in to relinquish Baracouda’a hold on the Stayers’ crown.

Sadly I don’t have the ‘visual history’ of many TRF members and so can’t recall many of the great performances, but Ruby Walsh’s efforts on Azertyuiop in winning the Arkle and Champion Chase will live long in the memory – for his reaction and celebration if nothing else.

Other than those two, the only other one I could recommend is Jacques Ricou in the Royal and SunAlliance on Jair Du Cochet :?

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Jamie Evans on Big Strand in the 97 Coral cup.I have seen a different angle to the footage on YouTube and i’ve never seen a horse come from so far back on the run in.I backed Allegation! its worth looking at again actually… :wink:

Pegwell Bay
    • Total Posts 208

Richard Dunwoody on Miinnehoma in the 1994 Grand National. Coolness personified.

(The fact I had a hefty wedge on him and landed one of my biggest ever wins has nothing to do with this being my choice – honest.) 8)

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Too many rides to mention, but lets just say that the first 50 in my list are all ridden by Tony McCoy 8)

There was a race last season where I actually think McCoy was replaced by the Devil – no other jockey in the world would of a) persevered with the horse, or b) got up to win on the horse. I can’t think of the name as the race was something like a Selling Hurdle, but it’s on the tip of my tongue and I am sure it will come to me during the day.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 704

Pridwell, 1998 Aintree Hurdle

AP McCoy, say no more,

Genius is an overused word, but this man is.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

I know this game is all about different opinions but I thought McCoy should have been banned and prosecuted for the ride on Pridwell.

One of the ugliest sights I have seen in racing.

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

G B*ad*ey’s ride on Suny Bay in the ’98 National was a perfect example of how to ride a horse over an extended trip in near unraceable conditions realising he would get maximum cooperation from his most resolute and foot-sure mount.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I know this game is all about different opinions but I thought McCoy should have been banned and prosecuted for the ride on Pridwell.

One of the ugliest sights I have seen in racing.

Colin

I can’t remember this race Colin, is there anywhere I can see it? Or can you remind me of what he did?

McCoy must have punched a few jockeys on the way round to merit being "prosecuted" so it will be interesting to see. Or perhaps your comment was a bit strong :lol:

If it was just the over use of the whip then I don’t think he should be prosecuted, in fact, if he didn’t even cop a ban then what did he do wrong in your opinion Colin. I will hold judgement until I either see the race or someone describes what he did.

Mike

Mike

Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

Are you thinking of Shingle Street Mikky Mo?

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Obviously only my opinion. Mikky, but to my eyes he beat the **** out of the horse.

Prosecuted by the RSPCA and banned by the racing auothorities.

Can’t remember if he did receive a ban, but is often mentioned by ‘racing fans’ as a great ride……………..he got a ‘beaten’ horse up to win.

Great watching. if you do find it, especially if you are a sadist.

Colin (tree-hugger) :wink:

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Jonjo O’Neil, Dawn Run, 1986 GC. She was beaten about half a dozen different times in that race, but somehow she got up.
    I always think the GN is good for throwing up a great ride as well, as the race is so unique and challenging that it has to be ridden to perfection. My two favourites there in recent times are Graham Lee and Slippers Madden in their respective wins (’04 and ’06). Immaculate from both men.

As for the Tony McCoy controversy- he’s an excessive rider, and I hate to see horses hurt, but the game is all about winning races and running horses to their ability. So if a horse is capable of winning a race, the jockey should make bloody sure it does! Had TRF been around 30-40 years ago, we’d have been saying the same things about Lester Piggott, and look how highly he is thought of now! And I bet AP won’t be done with tax fraud either!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

One jockey who doesn’t get the rave reviews he deserves these days is Adrian Maguire who was the most wonderful rider until injuries robbed him of some of his natural daring. It’s a slightly odd choice, but his ride on Sirrah Jay to win the John Hughes at Aintree (1992?) was absolutely sublime. I was lucky enough to meet him a few years ago and told him so, which seemd to please him immensely!

Participant
    • Total Posts 704

Racing Post Chase 1989, Bonanza Boy out the back and struggling, yet Scudamore kept pushing and somehow managed to win. Well that’s how I remember it.

zome
    • Total Posts 232

Racing Post Chase 1989, Bonanza Boy out the back and struggling, yet Scudamore kept pushing and somehow managed to win. Well that’s how I remember it.

Fantastic horse!!!! Even though i was only 4 at the time!!!!

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Are you thinking of Shingle Street Mikky Mo?

That’s the one Anzum, absolutely unbeliavable ride in my opinion. I think the horse was off the bridle and unwilling right from flag fall. It was one of the best rides, if not the best ride, I have ever seen.

Cheers for reminding me Anzum.

Mike

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.