The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Your best & worst ante-post bets…

Home Forums Horse Racing Your best & worst ante-post bets…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Are you all over Kauto Star to win the ‘million’ at a million?

Or have you taken the shrewd 15/2 about Liverpool kopping the Premiership?

Let’s have the best and worst of your current portfolio.

I’ll kick off with my shrewd 14/1 about Joe Calzaghe being Sports Personality of 2006.  Unortunately he has now allied a complete inability to box with his chip-on-the shoulder remarks about the English (i.e. the voters).

Nice one, Taff.  Currently 80-1 and sliding.

Mike

warrej
    • Total Posts 37

I’ve backed Detroit City from 18.5 down to 10.5 for the Champion Hurdle and Have Star De Mohaison at 14 for the Hennessy.  All my other ante-post horse racing bets are pretty much at the same price as I backed them.

On the footy side though, backed Southampton to win the Championship and John Hartson to be top-scorer.  What was I thinking?!

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Backed Beef or Salmon at 105 for the Gold Cup -laid off at 50s before his first win of the season.A four figure profit for no risk.

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

I backed West Ham United at 16-1 in the ‘without the big five market’ when they announced the signing of those Argentinian fellas. Ten minutes later you could lay 9-1 on Betfair – wish I had.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I’ve given up ante-post betting after last season:

1. Racing Demon @ 12s to win the R&SA Ch – after he flops in the Arkle, HN admits she should have run him in the longer chase.:(

2. Kauto Star @ 10s for the Champion Chase. Going on his performances so far this season, it looks like his last defeat for a while!

PerpetualPerpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

AP betting is my favourite pastime… I punt for fun, but semi-seriously so love nothing more than getting a big price on something for the Guineas (Teofilo) to dream about over the winter or to give me a run for my cash throughout a season. The result’s almost immaterial (easy to say as I’ve been lucky over the last few years) & am just happy as long as I get a bit of a run for my money. A "few" of my best & worst:

Best<br>Teofilo @ 25/1 to 8/1 for Derby<br>Teofilo @ 8/1 to 4/1 for Guineas<br>Kauto Star @ 7/1 EW for BHB OOM<br>Raymond Barneveld @ 12/1 to 6/1 EW for the World Darts Champs (Still a great bet at 5’s ew)

Worst<br>Richard Johnson for BHB OOM Top Jock @ 7/1<br>No Refuge @ 40/1 for BHB OOM<br>Nicanor (for far too much cash) @ 16/1 for the Arkle<br>Plus plenty more….<br>

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

So far I’ve got

Halcon Genelardais at 30 for the Hennessy (dead in the water I reckon, got to be a doubtful runner)<br>Montgermont @ 12 and 10 for the Hennessy<br>Cornish Rebel @ 20 for the Hennessy<br>Justified @ 16 for the KG (not looking too good, doubtful runner?)<br>Lennon @ 33 for the Arkle<br>Hard Act To Follow @ 33 for the RSA (and in a doub with Lennon)<br>Asian Maze @ 12 for the Champion<br>Zara Phillips at 66, 80, 85 for the SPOTY as well as 25 to be in the top three

PerpetualPerpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

Duplicate post

(Edited by Perpetual at 3:39 pm on Nov. 20, 2006)

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

Ah yes Perpetual – the OOM!!  How could I forget about that?!

For that I have<br>Richard Johnson @ 7 to be top jockey<br>Choc Thornton @ 33 to be top jockey <br>Noble Request @ 33 to be top horse<br>Mighty Man @ 10 to be top horse<br>Hoo La Baloo @ 50 to be top horse (small)<br>No Refuge @ 40 to be top horse (v small)

Also got Holy Roman Emperor at 33 for the 2000 Gns.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Teofilo for the Guineas would be potentially my best ante-post result. Took a real shine to him after he won the Futurity in what looked a ridiculously fast time.

I think my worst was backing Clody Grey for the SunAliiance Chase about three years ago, his only entry at the Festival that year was the County Hurdle!!

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

I’ve got quite a few already and some of my favourite types – the ones that won’t even run (well I get so many of them you would think they are my favourite type)

Cheltenham Gold Cup<br>2pts Trabolgan @ 14/1 :( <br>2pts Racing Demon @ 33/1 (25/1 now)<br>2pts Star De Mohaison @ 50/1 (16/1 now)<br>2pts ew Monets Garden @ 20/1 (16/1 now)

World Hurdle<br>4pts Inglis Drever @ 10/1 (16/1? now):(

Champion Chase<br>2pts ew Voy Por Ustededs @ 14/1 (6/1 now)<br>1pt Newmill @ 14/1 (not sure what it is now)

Supreme Novices Hurdle<br>3pts Kicks For Free @ 16/1 (8/1 now but probably won’t win)

1000 Guineas<br>2pts Evening Time @ 20/1 (still 20/1)<br>3pts Sander Camillo @ 7/1 (5/1 now but hates rain)

2000 Guineas<br>Oh dear where to start :biggrin: <br>1.5pts Stategic Prince @ 50/1 (16/1 now but I think the Derby will be more his thing)<br>2pts Teofilo @ 16/1 (I was going to back it after its first race but never got round to it:o )<br>2pts Hellvelyn @ 33/1 (another one down the pan:( )

The Derby<br>4pts win/1pt place Authorised @ 12/1 (unchanged)<br>2pts ew Strategic Prince @ 25/1 (unchanged I think)

King George<br>3pts Monets Garden 11/2<br>1pt ew Star De Mohaison 14/1 (I backed these yesterday so they should still be the same price but both have a monster to beat)

Hopefully the live ones will give me a run for my money.

aston
    • Total Posts 168

FSL, Star de Mo isnt being aimed at the KG and will not run in it.

warrej
    • Total Posts 37

Quote: from warrej on 9:55 am on Nov. 20, 2006[br]..and Have Star De Mohaison at 14 for the Hennessy.

Oops :-(

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Quote: from aston on 2:50 pm on Nov. 20, 2006[br]FSL, Star de Mo isnt being aimed at the KG and will not run in it.<br>

Ok thanks another to add to the out tray then. I thought it was a big price but its still in most of the betting lists for the K. I should of checked it out properly first. :(

GI MAC
    • Total Posts 13

Some nice ones, and some shockers. Mine to date.

2pts win Arcalis 40/1 Champ hurdle<br>1/2 pt win Royals Darling 90/1 Arkle<br>1pt ew Addicted 50/1 Triumph<br>2pts ew Gungado 25/1 (before Pricewise I might add)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.