The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Your Best Poker Tip

Home Forums Archive Topics Your Best Poker Tip

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daylight
    • Total Posts 369

Watched a hell of a lot of poker on TV to try to pick up ‘text-book’ moves when I first started and the best tip (well comment really from the commentator) was significant to me as it changed the way I played:

"Two out of three times the player who raises an appropiate amount first wins the pot"

I’ve read loads of stuff & heard a fair few pointers but this one was probably the most beneficial to me as it caused me to be more agrresive when in the correct seat.<br>

wilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Unless you’re sitting on a premium hand, and want a call, never double the BB when down to heads up.

A mistake that you see far too often and never ceases to amaze me.

You’re immediately offering the BB 3/1 pot odds to call when in reality, at best they’re likely to be no more than a 2/1 dog.

Lee

wilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

True Flagship but unless I’m playing at $30+ and my oppo’ keeps doing it I’m more inclined to believe he doesn’t understand the concept of value rather than being shrewd and wanting the call.

The chances of him having an overpair to my high card is high compared to the number of times he’ll give me the value.

Basically I’m gonna be calling with ATC here to see the flop, Re-raises excluded.

Lee

aston
    • Total Posts 168

Dont let a short stack deterr you from limping in. It amazes me the amount of times that weak bets clear the numbers at the table. Always limp in when you can.

wilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

There are obviously no cast in stone rules on how to play poker rightly or wrongly but sorry Aston I have to disagree with that one.

If I had to put forward a second tip it would be ‘never limp in unless you’re a) holding a monster in early pos and expect a raise or b) sitting with a short stack and expect a raise and at least one caller – to offer you the right pot odds.’

Seriously, if you’re short stacked and limp and are raised ‘all-in’ what are you going to do ?. It’s highly unlikely that you’ll have the odds to justify the call.

Simple rule: – early to mid pos, then don’t call the blinds if you aren’t prepared to move all in if push comes to shove .

If I’m short stacked I’d much prefer to wait till I’m late to act and see a few flat calls in front of me. I’ll push and primarily hope everybody passes but if they don’t then at least I’m getting some value.

Obviously it all depends on the blind size, how short the stack and what level you’re playing at.

Lee

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.