The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Your Best Bet?

Home Forums Horse Racing Your Best Bet?

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Excluding personal stuff I’ve had some real crackers and been very lucky Namely Don’t Push It, Zenyatta, Zarkava, Binocular, Yeats, Kauto Star every time he’s won the King George at long odds everytime.

But the bet that was the most memorable bet for more reasons than one was the Jackpot 6 The day Jonjo won the Gold Cup on Dawn run.

I had heard through the grapevine that Dawn Run winning was a life and death bet for JP McManus and decided to have the kicthen sink on.

I had read in the paper someone had just won 85,000 pounds on the Jackpot 6 at Cheltenham with Hills. i had some spare cash after placing a bet on Dawn Run and thought I’d have a crack at that, taking 2 or 3 horses in each race as you do. My win stake was only 2.5p.

Solar Cloud ridden by Scu kicked off the bet winning at 40/1.

In the 2nd or 3rd race, cant remember which, I had 3 selections who came to the last in a line and it didn’t matter which one won. Charter Party won at around 10 or 12/1

The one that esacpes me won at similar odds and then it was down to Dawn Run my only selction in the Gold Cup.

I’m already cockaloop by this time as Dawn Run has won and Ive got a right few quid going on to Jobroke who’s about 12/1 12/1 to win the County Hurdle but it turns out he’s the subject of amassive gamble and his odds tumble like crazy. I think he went off around 4/1 or 7/2 which cut my lunch by a fair bit but thankfully won.

In the last I have 2 horses Half Free a short priced fav and Western Sunset. In between them in the betting is Wayward Lad if memory serves me well.

With bonuses etc I’m bang on target to win 85K if Western Sunset Wins.

At the last Hywel Davies brought Western Sunset with a perfectly timed run and took it up. I was counting my dosh when half way up the hill he stopped like shot and Half Free fought back to win with Wayward Lad in 2nd and Wstern Sunset only 3rd.

Well I was going bonkers. cursing like a looney because Western Sunset had lost until my mate said wtf is the matter with you, you just won over 10,00 quid for the second time today. I had totally lost the plot for aminute and said sh1t your right.

The payout turned out to be 14,324 pounds with bonuses.

Unforgetable experience

You must have been desperate to lay this off when Wayward Lad was dancing away from Dawn Run up the Hill. It looked like 1000/1 Dawn Run and I couldn`t believe it when Wayward started to slow. Well done anyway.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Fist i thought you would have known

Wayward Lad

ran in Dawn runs Gold Cup! :roll:

Heads full of we wheels mate …….I think you’ll find it was Half Free’s stable companion Fred Winters other horse good horse Fistfullofdollars who split them…..It was 24 years ago…Where’s Rory When you need him?

Don’t seem to remember Mighty Man being in that race

No TV in the shop in that day only commentry and the last races weren’t televised.

I remember the name Attitude Adjuster but it would never have come back to me. Do remember a good horse trained by Thomson Jones finished 2nd or 3rd to either Charter Party or him called Green something or another but apart from that minds a blank.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

TAPK could name a 100 best bets in the last 20 odd years i have had,i could name half a dozen i have shared with this forum to 4 figure profits this year alone but i would like to mention this one! I went to Hong Kong in Feb 97 to bet one horse at Sha Tin,it was in their Centenary Cup a stayers race,the locals had their favourite called "Privelidge" he had won the race before and had beaten a horse called

Deauville

several times,i was confident this time Deauville would get his revenge so i persuaded a pal of mine to hop on the night flight from Gatwick with Cathay Pacific for a mere £650 each,we booked into the Shangri La and got a superb room with a fantastic view of the harbour,i had got it in my head that the race course was in downtown Hong Kong and we could walk it,that was Happy Valley! We had to catch a train out to somewhere called the new territorys to get to Sha Tin,its in bloody China! Anyway we get to the racecourse along with 80,000 others, the atmosphere is unbelievable and i can see the Gold Centenary cup proudly on display,i actually felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! We pile all our US dollars on Deauville at 9/2 and watch what seemed like every China man there back Privelidge,my pal gave me that "are you sure about this look" i"ve seen it a 1000 times before at Nottingham but this was a bit different! All i could muster was a Yep! they"re off and the 2 pacemakers set a perfect gallop for Privelidge in 3rd and Deauville with his customary white bridle cantering in 4th,thats how they sit until they hit the home turn when Privelidge kicks on,Deauville and Eric st Martin (Yves son i think) sit on his tail motionless,2 out the fav is being ridden and i"m commentating through my video camera to myself as Deauville is swinging all over him,Eric lets a reef out and he quickens a length up as they go inside the final furlong,trouble is someting else is cutting us down hand over fist but we hold on by a half length! Overjoyed we collect and head back into town where we jump on a boat out to an island called Lammas and we celebrate with Fresh lobster!! As we return back sometime later i noticed the amount of sewerage going into the sea near where we ate from the ferry! The next day i have got the Sh*ts something rotten and i have a 14 hr flight to deal with,it was a hellish journey home! After we had taken our hotel bill and flights etc out of this mission we ended up making a loss of £300 each! We still laugh about it now but it was my best bet ever!

chalk jockey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 253

A Saturday TV bet about 15 years ago
    10 50p win dbles
    10 50p win trbles
    5 50p ew f’folds
    50p ew accum.
    First was a Cumani 3/1 shot at haydock,it won well,second was Clan Ben for Cecil/Fallon 10/1 won,third was 11/2 Ya Malak for Dandy ridden by his wife who won,the fourth was Cyrian in the Old Newton Cup,unplaced and the bubble burst.The last one was Trojan Risk,Geoff Lewis/Paul Eddery at 16/1,in a Sandown handicap,last into the straight he had a dream run up the rail and won.
    £4,460+.
    I read a lot of critism of Paul Eddery on the forums but I will always remember him for that ride. :D

If you go to back a certainty always buy a return ticket.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Imperial Commander 20/1 for Gold Cup after Betfair Chase.

2nd would be backing Workforce for Guineas, Derby and Arc on April 1st. The day he was cut into 12/1 for the Guineas. The 25/1 derby bet was my biggest ante-post and when he won I was on Folkestone Beach and screamed like a nutter lol

Ems
    Participant
    • Total Posts 11

The first bet was 1 pound to win on Spartan Missile in the 1981 (I think) National, loosing to Aldaniti. I didn’t mind a bit.
    The first bet I remember being successful, was a horse called My Cup of Tea ( a Martin Pipe trained horse, running at Newton Abbot ) 5 pounds each way – I won 30 odd quid and was hooked !
    Red Marauder – 2001 National, won me over 500, which payed for the the alcohol part of the honeymoon. I had arranged for the waiter to tell me the results as we had the meal. I was fashionably late for the church – not because it was expected, but I was watching the Morning Line and getting the bets on (the shame 8) ) and having a glass or two of champers !
    Other horses that have helped are Made in Japan, Why the big paws, Jodami, Nortons Coin, Flying Instructor and Boot n Toot. I thank them all. A nurses pay needs a little help sometimes !

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Johnny Francome pleaded with Spartan Missiles owner that day to let him ride the horse. He turned him down If he had ridden him he would have won 20 lengths.
    I have a mare Glacial Missile who is a direct descendant of the great Spartan.

• Total Posts 2184

Hardy Eustace 2004 Champion Hurdle.

Was on at crazy prices ante-post. Kept backing him even when half of Kildare thought he’d be going to the Coral Cup instead.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Red Marauder – 2001 National,

Why the big paws,

Noting a certain affinity with R C Guest, there. I approve! Having a stack on his Night Fighter at Market Rasen once (25-1) would list high on my best days’ punting, for sure.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Ardrossthegreat
    • Total Posts 303

A horse called Chrysicabana at Windsor about 1982 last race 5 runners and it won at 66/1 gawnmyson!!! :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Heads full of we wheels mate …….I think you’ll find it was Half Free’s stable companion Fred Winters other horse good horse Fistfullofdollars who split them…..It was 24 years ago…Where’s Rory When you need him?

TAPK is right, of course. You’re also thinking of Fifty Dollars More (lovely horse) who was a decent tool in the Sheikh Ali Abu Khamsin colours.

Funny you should mention Charter Party, as I had my first ever £5 bet on him, but it ended in tears despite eventual victory.

I had a £5 treble (all my money in the world, and saved up for weeks) on Hazy Sunset, Charlotte’s Dunce and Charter Party in a treble – I can see the racing section of the Irish News now and could point to where the races fell on the page. Hazy Sunset won the opener at Newbury under John Francome, but only after drifting from 6/4 to about 3/1. I believe he was up against a horse called Bishop’s Furze. Charlotte’s Dunce gave weight and a beating to a big field of handicap hurdlers at Bangor to land a hat-trick and Charter Party was beaten a desperately short head by a David Barons horse called Solid Rock back at Newbury.

The photograph took so long to be decided that the stewards had already completed an enquiry into interference, and no sooner did the old hand-written matrix flash up on the BBC screen confirming Solid Rock the winner, than another appeared with the amended result. In those days, many firms paid FPTP only, and despite landing my first ever treble, I never saw a penny. The other odd thing was that it never occurred to me for a second to appeal.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

TAPK is right, of course. You’re also thinking of Fifty Dollars More (lovely horse) who was a decent tool in the Sheikh Ali Abu Khamsin colours.

Funny you should mention Charter Party, as I had my first ever £5 bet on him, but it ended in tears despite eventual victory.

I had a £5 treble (all my money in the world, and saved up for weeks) on Hazy Sunset, Charlotte’s Dunce and Charter Party in a treble – I can see the racing section of the Irish News now and could point to where the races fell on the page. Hazy Sunset won the opener at Newbury under John Francome, but only after drifting from 6/4 to about 3/1. I believe he was up against a horse called Bishop’s Furze. Charlotte’s Dunce gave weight and a beating to a big field of handicap hurdlers at Bangor to land a hat-trick and Charter Party was beaten a desperately short head by a David Barons horse called Solid Rock back at Newbury.

The photograph took so long to be decided that the stewards had already completed an enquiry into interference, and no sooner did the old hand-written matrix flash up on the BBC screen confirming Solid Rock the winner, than another appeared with the amended result. In those days, many firms paid FPTP only, and despite landing my first ever treble, I never saw a penny. The other odd thing was that it never occurred to me for a second to appeal.

Solidasarock Rory! :wink:
    Did Hazy Sunset run in Red colours with a bright yellow circle on the body old boy?

• Total Posts 1415

Hardy Eustace / Kauto Star double two or three years ago, Hardy at Ascot, Kauto at Haydock. My biggest ever return by a mile.

• Total Posts 15019

Solidasarock Rory! :wink:
    Did Hazy Sunset run in Red colours with a bright yellow circle on the body old boy?

Sounds about right, think it was a yellow Cross of Lorraine though!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

"Venture to Cognac":1geyaa0j wrote: Solidasarock Rory! :wink:

Sounds about right, think it was a yellow Cross of Lorraine though!

Same colours as another Fred winter inmate

Glyde Court

i believe Venture. Both were capable on their day!

• Total Posts 15019

Yeah, was gonna mention Glyde Court, but didn’t want to come across too anorakky! If that’s a word! :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I"m wearing my anorak now Venture! Can you remember Susan Olivers

Aonoch

and Neville Crumps

Repington

? I"m sure the former beat "See you then" one day and the latter did beat Desert Orchid!

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.