The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

York Ebor Meeting

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays York Ebor Meeting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Quite possibly my favourite meeting of the year. The 3 major races all look to be crackers, the Juddmonte in particular will as it sees the 2 best 12f performers across generations lock horns with the Eclipse winner thrown in for good measure. I get the feeling we could see the best performance in the race since Falbrav looked so good there 4 years ago.

Yorkshire Oaks also looks a belter, what it lacks in strength in depth makes up for in the presence of Peeping Fawn, Alexandrova and Silkwood. With Alexandrova almost sure to need it and everyone wising up to Peeping Fawn, could it be that Silkwood will be the value?

The usual supporting races all look well up to standard whilst there’s a couple I’ve been waiting for entered in handicaps, notably Lundy’s Lane, the moral winner of the Old Newton Cup.

Anyone else looking forward to anything in particular?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

One of the best meetings of the whole year at the best racetrack of them all. Just hope the forecast rain doesn’t bugger up the ground for the 3 day feast.
    The ideal situation would be softish ground on Tuesday to allow Authorized to run to his best, followed by warm sunshine to dry the ground for Wednesday’s Ebor, when I expect Strategic Mount to add to my previous good fortune in the season’s best handicap.
    Bring it on. 8)

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5123

Plenty of rain this morning which I’m pretty sure will guarantee some cut on Tuesday

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Thanks Drone

Possibly going to be a bit too much juice for Dylan Thomas? Bar the dirt escapade, his 2 most disappointing runs (can’t say poorest as a beaten fourth in the Juddmonte is still better form than a maiden win on firm) were on good to soft in the corresponding event last year and in the RP Trophy at Donny on soft.

Guess it’d going to come down to what the discrepancy in the betting is between Notnowcato and Authorized as to which I back.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Difficult to know where the pace is going to come from, there being no guarantees with the O’Brien horses but, if Frankie can be persuaded to make enough use of Authorized, I can only see one result. 8)

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Agree Reet and Frankie could really take this race witn his fine judge of pace.

Voltiger is fascinating. Considering Boscobel. Might appear to somethat the last race was "stolen" but he could well be improving more than the others and can defy that penalty. York suits those up with the pace too :)

Looks too short for Mahler to me who seemed to really relish the 2m last time

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

The beer.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Difficult to know where the pace is going to come from, there being no guarantees with the O’Brien horses but, if Frankie can be persuaded to make enough use of Authorized, I can only see one result. 8)

So is PCH not putting in his pacemaker again – I know it did a bad job in the Eclipse, but that was down to AOB’s horses in my opinion.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Duke of Marmalade is the fly in the ointment here. I wouldn;t be surprised if he won. I’ve been saying all year that this horse will be best over 10f. It’s a shame there are only 7 runners otherwise he’d be a cracking e/w bet.

This race is more open than the betting would suggest in my opinion.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

The beer.

3 quid for warm Fosters in a plastic glass. You’re easily pleased I reckon!

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Disagree with a couple of things here regarding the Voltigeur. I think Mahler will be fine back at 12f, looking at his Queens Vase again, he was always travelling strongly up with the pace and could be called the winner from before the home turn. More of a worry against this field is his form. The Queens Vase looks very weak in comparison to races like the Derby and King Edward VII, so at the prices I’ll be against him.

I can’t understand why Lucarno is 5/1. He holds Yellowstone (who proved nothing regards trip at Goodwood) on Derby and Ascot form yet is available at twice the price. He’s had a bit of a break since Newmarket where he proved himself against older horses and that form was made to look at least solid if not spectacular in the Geoffrey Freer at the weekend. I think Boscobel could be a sitting duck under a penalty and also think he’ll struggle to get his own way like he did at Ascot. Surely Mahler will be pressing him strongly.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

3 quid

Is it that cheap? I can afford to drink twice as much!

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Mahler is a dreadful price at the moment imo, which makes this market interesting.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

I think Mahler will be fine back at 12f, looking at his Queens Vase again, he was always travelling strongly up with the pace and could be called the winner from before the home turn

That was travelling well against slow old boats though – I don’t necessarily think that proves anything.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Perhaps someone a biot closer to the stable can confirm that they wanted to run him in the Ebor, as I understand it, he was considered their best handicapped by connections.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.