The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Why Frankel will rule the world

Home Forums Horse Racing Why Frankel will rule the world

• This topic has 2,110 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Avatar photoTonge.
Viewing 17 posts - 477 through 493 (of 2,111 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32993

Looking forward to seeing Atty Persse and Zefferino run tomorrow at Sandown and have 9/4 about each for my Thread. :good:
    Out of interest looked up the name Atty Persse and came across this interesting Pathe News item about
    Atty Persse the oldest trainer in Lambourn who retired in 1954.
    Good luck to his namesake later today. :rose:

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/atty-persse-retires-lambourn

I’ve seen that video several times in the past Jac.
    Atty Persse made his name at Stockbridge Hampshire (between Winchester and Salisbury). The place Richard Hughes was going to lease off Ken Cunningham-Brown before deciding to buy a training establishment of his own in Lambourn.
    Atty Persse trained many top class racehorses, none more so than The Tetrarch, perhaps the best 2 year old ever seen. There’s a “round” of the horse in Stockbridge Church.

Fingers crossed the horse lives up to his namesake. :good:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16958

What a grand old character he was Ginge I’d never heard of him before but will look more into his career with interest.

Just back from a fantastic day at Juddmonte Stud visiting Frankel and pleased to report that he is looking a million dollars. .his groom led him round and they posed for pictures and Frankel was playing to the crowd as per usual, he wouldn’t stop head butting his groom until he had given him one of the carrots he had in his back pocket. ..fantastic day still on cloud nine. :heart:

Just to report that at least 40% off the mares that Frankel covered last season will be returning to him again so the quality of his progeny set to remain at a very high standard.

It was also nice to meet Jim Power, the man who had the honour of bringing Frankel into the world,obviously not knowing what a precious cargo he had delivered. Apparently it was a text book birthing and within 10 minutes the newborn foal was on his feet and feeding from his mother (Kind).

Also paraded today were Kingman, Oasis Dream now 16 and grand old Dansili age 20 and still going strong…but all eyes were for Frankel and his best friend George the cat who was also there to oversee proceedings. :rose: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Sounds a great day Jac. The racehorse of our lifetimes.

Any pics?

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

What a grand old character he was

Not quite how I would describe him.

Persse was a thoroughly nasty piece of work, whose treatment of his staff, even by the standards of those days, was appalling.

Certainly, he was a competent trainer, but coming from a wealthy family, he could afford to be. He certainly didn’t have to work his way up from the bottom!

Participant
    • Total Posts 16958

Persse was a thoroughly nasty piece of work, whose treatment of his staff, even by the standards of those days, was appalling.

Certainly, he was a competent trainer, but coming from a wealthy family, he could afford to be. He certainly didn’t have to work his way up from the bottom!

I think that was my comment not Corm’s Venusian and to be honest I had never heard of him before the Pathe News 1954 broadcast and you know how jolly they made everything sound then.
    Wonder why they named this particular colt after him then I would have called him Sir Henry Cecil ;-)

Sunspangled
    Participant
    • Total Posts 470

On the subject of Frankel’s books of mares:

Of the 89 dams of 2 yos on the Juddmonte site (his first crop), 22 of the 89 (25%) returned to Frankel in 2014 (when first crop were foals) and 12 of the 89 (13%) returned in 2015 (when first crop were yearlings). I imagine that given the poor reports circulating about him not stamping his stock and the yearling sales results last year, his 2016 book would have taken a further hit. But his 2017 book should improve significantly given his results this year, assuming he can finish the year off well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16958

Sounds a great day Jac. The racehorse of our lifetimes.

Any pics?

I have David but as I took my son’s camera with me I don’t have the leads at home to transfer to the Internet yet so will be a few days but I will definitely put some up here.
    I did take some videos of all the horses on parade but then realised when I got home that I hadn’t switched from auto to video :wacko: so now I will have to book a return visit when the tours start again next year (I don’t think that will be a problem ;))

Never realised the great history behind Banstead Manor that has many owners before Prince Khalid purchased it and that it was owned for a time towards the end of the 19th century by the Churchills and young Winston used to play war games with his friends in Newmarket town.

Pics to follow soon :rose: Jac

Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

Surely it’s worth given a chance to this swiss storm tomorrow in the first at Newbury given that his dam Swiss Lake’s progeny have all won races and he’s got to be better than he showed first time up. Elsworth’s always come on a bundle for the run.

Huge great horse and this galloping track should suit it. City of Joy a massive danger (if it runs) but at the prices Swiss Storm just edges it.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Sounds like an amazing day Jac! Can’t wait to see the piccies!!!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Well that was seriously impressive. What a size Swiss Storm is!!! Very exciting. The other Frankel ran an absolute stormer as well. We were waiting for the colts to start stepping up to the mark and, on the evidence of today and Atty Persse last week, they are doing that now.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

Yes Swiss Storm a huge great thing and I think they like the second. Opens him up as a possible guineas contender, don’t think any of his half brothers ran in classics, they were mainly sprinters but all these Frankels do is gallop and stay. Having that ability to stay and also hold your position is obviously pivotal for group one races. Can see him running a big race in the racing post trophy if they aim it at that, as that’s another galloping track

Nice return on the price as well 4-1 ;-)

Participant
    • Total Posts 32993

Backed Swiss Storm today and saw him in the flesh. He certainly big! Still looked green in the paddock and I guess that might be the reason for the drift, times like these I’m glad of Bet 365’s BOG.

If he were mine I wouldn’t be in a hurry to step Swiss Storm up in trip. Travelled so well, at halfway wondered whether he’d stay seven. As others have said, quick family on the dam’s side. Elsey’s got a good’n – bags of potential. The way Crawley kept a bit wide, do you think might be a bit like his sire? Settles better on his own.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32993

What did he do? Is it reliale evidence Venusian?
    Sir Henry Cecil came from a “wealthy family” too. I know nothing of Atty Persse’s character or how he treated staff, but records show he was more than a “competent trainer”.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16958

Well done to all Swiss Storm backers, what a great price and amazed that Alfawaris drifted out to 11/1.
    Frankel progeny still showing a good profit on all of his runners this season approx £110.00 for a £10 stake on all of them (excluding runners outside Europe) and dependent on prices taken :good: Jac

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I couldn’t believe City Of Joy was odds on. 5th in his first race and coming into this on a Racing Post Rating of 73 hardly warranted him being something of a good thing in the market.

Swiss Storm was only 5 lbs back in the ratings on his first run and that’s nothing with youngsters who have only run once.

I didn’t play on this race and I’m not sure how good the form will turn out. Swiss Storm is in the Racing Post Trophy but would need a mighty leap forward for that one from here. He does look a specimen though.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

“What did he do? Is it reliale evidence Venusian?”

I don’t have anything physically to hand, although you can always look on the net. No doubt he mellowed in his old age, but he used to treat his staff almost as slaves, virtually locked them up. If you did anything out of place, like blab about how well some horse was working on the gallops, a beating and/or a sacking were the order of the day.

On reflection, perhaps “shrewd” would be more appropriate than “competent”. He was a classic gambling trainer, who’d regularly have horses hooked up until the big day arrived. Think George Todd, and you get the idea (wouldn’t like to mention anyone still alive!).

He came from a wealthy Irish family who’d made a fortune in whiskey distilling, among other things, and went to Oxford university for a while.

He bought The Tetrarch for about £1,300 as a yearling, a fortune in those days, think well over £100,000 today, and passed him on, at cost, to his cousin, Major McCalmont.

Persse really messed up his three year old career, not running him in the 2000 guineas because he though he wasn’t fit (he was), and then running him in a 1 1/2 miles trial on the gallops a few weeks before the Derby, breaking him down. That would be the gambler in Persse coming out, conducting a full-scale trial to “make sure”. Any half-decent trainer would have won the Guineas with him, possibly the Derby as well, and not b*ggered the horse up with a silly trial as though he was readying some handicapper for a coup (he’d already broken down The Tetrarch’s sire, Roi Herode, four years ago, preparing him for the 1910 Chester Cup).

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I think RPR’s aren’t really worth the paper they are written after 1 run Steve. City Of Joy is highly regarded with big entries hence the flood of money. He had run a race full of promise first time out running on after getting the hang of things late-on. I’d be hugely surprised if the first three don’t turn out to be pattern performers.

Agree that it will require a big step up for SS to win a Racing Post and rather hope they find a race in between to continue the education as he still seemed green. James Willoughby thinks he is the best Frankel we have seen so far. Time will tell.

Viewing 17 posts - 477 through 493 (of 2,111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.