The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Why Frankel will rule the world

Home Forums Horse Racing Why Frankel will rule the world

• This topic has 2,110 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Avatar photoTonge.
Viewing 17 posts - 290 through 306 (of 2,111 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16958

Thanks Steve I did miss that one :good: Like you say lots more to come and Frankel is showing a nice profit to a £10 stake at the moment
    Will update my Thread in Monday when I’m on my own at work ;-) thank you Steve and Joni x

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    TheGhostofCruella
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Frankel’s first Japanese winner Soul Stirring (no. 3) ex Stacelita, showing a decent turn of foot at the death:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UMFJUM_f0TA

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Frankel’s first Japanese winner Soul Stirring (no. 3) ex Stacelita, showing a decent turn of foot at the death:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UMFJUM_f0TA

Very nice!! Thanks for sharing TGOC. Has mighty big shoulders on him doesn’t he? I’m guessing that was over a mile no? If so that is exciting as he really seemed to stay well suggesting he will be decent over middle distances later on. Out of interest how did you know that he was running? Cheers

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

TimJames
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Qatar Racing’s Lightening Fast reappears tomorrow in a Naas maiden

TheGhostofCruella
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

I didn’t know beforehand, Jon, I saw the video shared in a FB racing group this morning. There’s a report in the Bloodstock section of the RP now too.

Soul Stirring is a filly – nice big powerful one too.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks TGOC – just read the report. I assumed she was a colt she is that big.

Thanks also Tim James – will be hoping for a better run from Lightening Fast tomorrow as he showed little first time out. There is another one entered at Newmarket on Friday; Zefferino, a colt by Turamo, trained by Roger Charlton.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Sunspangled
    Participant
    • Total Posts 470

Still remarkably few Frankel runners for this stage of the season, we’ve only seen 10% of his 2yos in training.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I wasn’t very taken by the Japanese Frankel filly. She has size and strength but something about the way she moves bothers me. More like a swimmer’s action I think and didn’t strike me as being speedy.

I reckon Fair Eva would go past her like a sports car passing a bin lorry.

I am surprised there have been so few Frankel runners. Maybe they are only running the good ones until the book gets filled. We know there will be moderate ones in there and also a few duffers. How many Galileo’s does Aidan start the season with and how many are average, crap or never get seen?

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

It was actually a 9f race Stevie so yes I dare say Fair Eva would whizz right on by. Much more stoutly bred and one for longer distances next year I reckon.

As for the numbers, you have to remember Frankel himself hadn’t run at this point. Plenty of them have stout pedigrees and I think you will see the numbers increase during August, September and October. We have also seen that, as expected, plenty of them have a bit of temperament and so it may be that they are being given a bit more time. You certainly wouldn’t want to rush these Frankel 2 year olds as none of them are cheap!

I believe that trainers will want to get them out this year if at all possible as they will want to show that they can train them in the hope they will get sent some next year. At the same time there is undoubtedly pressure on trainers to have them run well such has been the start made. There is another new one out this week and I think you will see more once we start getting more of the mile maidens.

Sunspangled
    Participant
    • Total Posts 470

Frankel made his debut in mid August, Galileo at the end of October, Frankel ran four times as a 2yo, Galileo just once. Frankel was predominantly a miler, Galileo middle distance. I’m not sure that Frankel’s progeny should be less precocious than Galileo’s. They each have 7 2yo winners in UK/Ire, but Frankel has had only 8 runners, Galileo 27 (many of them once raced Ballydoyle 2yos). The median damsires AWD (average winning distance) is 9.3f, so a lot of the Frankels are bred to be milers. You have to think that for every Frankel that has run, there are a couple more that might be expected to have made their debut at this stage. I’m not sure that there is going to be a flood of them anytime soon. I would have expected to see some unraced ones entered for the Champagne Stakes, for example, but only San Remo entered and Coolmore block enter their 2yos. Similarly, only a couple of unraced entries across the Debutante, Futurity, National and Moyglare Stakes.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Galileo had a setback as a 2 year old and was sick for a while hence the late debut. Aiden always said he would have been a champion at 2 otherwise. Of course most the Galileo 2 year olds are trained by Aiden who likes to get them out nice and early if possible. As we know, with Coolmore, it is all about unearthing pearls rather than trying to find 20 or 30 decent ones. How many Galileo’s have we seen sacrificed over the years to be pacemakers for their more talented brothers or sisters? You can see that even amongst this seasons 2 year olds with plenty of very average ones as well as the very good ones. It could be that the same is true with Frankel only, unlike with Galileo, we are not seeing the duds. I think there is little doubt that Galileo’s also tend to be quite tractable. It is early days, but some of Frankel’s are showing signs of temperament and are surely being given more time to mature.

Frankel’s progeny are spread out amongst many trainers each of whom will be wanting to get the most out of their charges as possible. I have heard several good reports from around the country suggesting that we have lots more good ones to come. For example Hugo Palmer has said that he likes all four of his even though we have only seen one of them so far. Andre Fabre has 12 of them over in France and he is a notoriously patient handler who won’t run them before they are ready.

Inevitably there are going to be duds in there but I doubt that we are only seeing the good ones, more like we are only seeing the more forward, pacier-bred ones. I would be surprised if we didn’t see 40-50 across Europe by the end of October. Most of the big-race entries are in Ireland and are made some time ago so it will be interesting to see how many get entries in the Dewhurst, Racing Post and Fillies Mile. I think there will be a few more.

I suppose with the incredible success so far it is inevitable that people will legitimately want to pick holes. Personally I am enjoying the ride and have every confidence that we will be seeing plenty of quality over the coming years.

Sunspangled
    Participant
    • Total Posts 470

There hasn’t been a lot to pick holes in, we’re seeing a selected sample, we’d need to see a lot more than 10% if they are the forward, pacier, tractable types. There are bound to be a lot of good ones, his book of mares was as good or better than Galileo’s, but you would like to see a bigger and more representative sample before getting carried away.

TimJames
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

I wasn’t very taken by the Japanese Frankel filly. She has size and strength but something about the way she moves bothers me. More like a swimmer’s action I think and didn’t strike me as being speedy.

I reckon Fair Eva would go past her like a sports car passing a bin lorry.

I am surprised there have been so few Frankel runners. Maybe they are only running the good ones until the book gets filled. We know there will be moderate ones in there and also a few duffers. How many Galileo’s does Aidan start the season with and how many are average, crap or never get seen?

Soul Stirring, only filly in the race, receiving no allowance from the colts. Thought she ran well and looked to have a little rounder knee action than most in the race.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A much better run from Lightening Fast today. He broke and travelled well before getting outpaced by the winner turning in and then staying on again inside the last furlong. He is no superstar but should find a race. Zefferino and Majoris are this week’s entries as it stands.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32172

As it stands is Fair Eva going for the Lowther…?

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I believe so Nath as is Queen Kindly…

Participant
    • Total Posts 32172

Thanks Joni
    I only ask as Skybet have opened a market and have her at 6/4.
    I can see a situation where she goes off big odds on but if she don’t run it don’t matter what price she is.
    Think I’ll just put her up in the Ante Post comp for now.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Viewing 17 posts - 290 through 306 (of 2,111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.