The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Why Frankel will rule the world

Home Forums Horse Racing Why Frankel will rule the world

• This topic has 2,110 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Avatar photoTonge.
Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 2,111 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Interested to hear Fahey say she stayed it well. I’m not convinced she did, but will wait to see her on faster ground

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I agree Joe – she seemed to get there but not quite finish her race off. An easy 6 on quicker ground methinks.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

Churchill priced up a short priced favourite in the chesham tomorrow. Will be a serious test for the two Frankel colts as they clearly think he’s a serious colt.

Churchill also by Galileo so we have a sire-off already B-)

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Jesus Churchill must be doing a lot right at home to be 5/4

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Well disappointment that Cunco didn’t win but consoled by the fact that he ran a lovely race and is certainly a group winner in the making. The winner is very highly regarded and did it well despite being green. Remember this was Frankel’s first runner. Frankuus looked more of a stayer to me. There are still about another 100 to come……..

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

Cunco flew past Churchill, unfortunately it was on the way to post.
    The winner looks smart but Cunco who settled nicely in the race wasted some energy by pulling very keen to post

Blackbeard to conquer the World

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1874

Can you give a Timeform squiggle to a stallion?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

Surely this week must go down as a disappointment if you’re a frankel fan.

Three runners and no winners.

Even the much less touted New Approach had two winners at Royal ascot in his first year with the ill-fated Newfangled and Thai’r in the Chesham.

That said as I posted earlier in this thread I thought Fair Eva is much the best that we’ve seen so far of his stock so it’ll be interesting to see what she comes out and does.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

As I said on the Chesham thread – no disappointment at all. They all ran really well in Championship races. As Bachelors pointed out, his start is unprecedented. And this is only the beginning…………

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Can you give a Timeform squiggle to a stallion?

Lostsoldier3 – I ask this honestly. Have you ever written a non-sarcastic post?

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1874

Sure, that was a non-sarcastic post Jonibake. Most of my messages are quite sincere, really.

If Frankel landed in the hands of a less gifted trainer than Henry Cecil, he probably would not have enjoyed such a scintillating career. Frankel’s progeny will be sprayed around between all sorts of handlers, so it stands to reason that many of these trainers won’t have the je ne sais quoi required to get the best out of their fiery Frankels. Evidence is limited so far, but it seems like Frankel is going to produce horses who are keen, coltish and need 1 mile+.

If that trend continues, we might see quite a few Frankel geldings plying their trade in two mile hurdles five or ten years from now. I think many trainers will struggle to get the best out of their Frankels and might be frustrated into reaching for the scissors. These horses have huge ability but are enough trainers good enough to handle their vices?

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1756

I’m afraid every new stallion will be second best to himself,galileo. Gleneagles is the one I’m looking forward to seeing his offspring. He was such a stamp of a horse and having a Galileo stallion with his speed is hugely exciting.

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

Frankel has made an incredible start. He’s only had five horses run and out of those five two of them have been placed in group races at Royal Ascot. I don’t see how anybody can criticise in the slightest.

The best of his offspring to run so far is probably Fair Eva who is currently favourite for the 1000 Guineas.

I’d call Frankel’s start to his stallion career pretty sensational.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Well that’s a much more sensible post if you don’t mind me saying Lost Soldier! Some very good points. Yes they were aways likely to be a bit keen and coltish like dad but we have to remember these ones are still very young and raw. Frankel made his debut in the August if you remember so these littl’uns have a slight disadvantage in that respect. So far the fillies have behaved better than the colts for obvious reasons!!

On the whole I think the progeny are in the hands of good trainers who should be able to get something like the best out of them. Of course I would agree with you that Henry Cecil was a genius and you could be right that we see just whyas the seasons progress. As for them needing a mile plus – well yes probably the majority will, depending on the mare, but we have already seen that one or two of them have plenty of speed. Cunco is by Chrysanthemum who excelled over 8-10f and Dookus has produced mainly milers up until now so we should expect to see them improve when they step up. As for the gelding comment – well I’ll hold back on that one.

It was only a few weeks ago that people were saying it was unlikely that Frankel would even HAVE runners at Royal Ascot let alone have winners. I would have loved one of them to have won but the next best thing is to see them running to RPR’s of 95 – 100+ already which they have. I am obviously firmly in the IBracing camp that it has been a fantastic start but it had to be after all my mouthing off!! We have a Guineas favourite and plenty more to come starting this Thursday with Majoris who will attempt to become the 5th winner out of 5.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1874

Splitting hairs but the Chesham is a Listed race.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Although Frankel’s first few runners have impressed in terms of speed, it’s a little alarming to see that amount of temperament on display.

Usually, 2 year olds are reasonable cooperative, at least in the first half of the season, as they haven’t yet picked up any bad habits or started to get fed up with it all.

We’ve only got a tiny sample to look at and it’s early days yet.

For all I know, the rest of the season may disappoint as far as Frankel’s offspring are concerned, and perhaps the majority will turn out to possess the most equable of temperaments, or maybe they’ll mostly be sprint types, who knows?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

I know this thread is supposed to be about Frankel, but anyone else find sea the stars underestimated as a stallion?

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 2,111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.