The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Who is this Glen Alco?

Home Forums Lounge Who is this Glen Alco?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

<i>Of Fama, Lemaire, Veitch, Alco and others</i>

Who is this Alco character James Willoughby refers to in his latest blog?

<i>It is a game of volume and getting that volume on in the right spots is the way that the cleverest and most determined of you make a living.

Notice, here, I said ‘you’. Personally, I am a professional writer not punter (or rather I write for a living – whether professionally or not!). But I have great respect for, and considerable interest in, the experiences and approaches of pro-punters. One of the most interesting I have met, albeit briefly, is Glen Alco.</i>

Sounds like an interesting fella – anyone met him?

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

Mr Alcoe (with an E) is never too far away. :wink:

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5616

An interesting drink

http://www.whiskyparadise.com/looking_d … ch+details

Prone to causing visions of lizards and mysterious three-headed ‘trilaterals’ to emanate from the darkside – aka the stands at Kempton Park

Gimme Patric Vetch anyday JW :wink:

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

I’m confused

Does this guy actually exist or is he some mythical figure like Pat Naylor?

gumshield
    • Total Posts 119

You’re not telling us Pat Naylor doesn’t exist, TDK. Surely?

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

I’ve never heard of this guy. Neither the first name or surname ring any bells.

My guess is that he’s a mythical figure: probably the guy you hear bookie PR reps bandy about claims of taking ‘ten grand on this’, ‘fifty grand in cash on that’ from the right sources in the morning.

I very much doubt his existence.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Who is Pat Naylor? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Naylor You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist. And like that, poof. He’s gone.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Who is Pat Naylor? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Naylor You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist. And like that, poof. He’s gone.

One of my favourite films of all time.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

.. was he that bloke that was running up and down the rails at Espom having 50 large with everyone last Saturday?

no idea
    • Total Posts 684

The Usual Suspects

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I’m Glen Alco

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

…………….I thought you were Spartacus?! :?

Colin

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Glen Alcock rode in the Queen Mother Supreme Hurdle at Percy Warner Park in 1988. He fell when holding a winning chance.

Apparantly some unsavioury charachters had several large bets on the horse and believed he had come off deliberately.

In fear of his life he fled the USA to Aberdeen in Scotland and changed his name to Glen Alco.

He lived under natural disguise in the hills and glens of Scotland for 14 years looking after stags at McGregor Antler Croft, Scotland’s answer to Rainbow Deer Farm. for the Laird of Montrose before moving to Newmarket to rekindle his interest in racing.

He is now one of the most feared racehorse gamblers in the uk.

Next time you need to know these things just ask :wink:

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Is that the rat who was interviewed on Racing uk in the last week or so ? I saw an interview with some big time punter with a degree, and i’m sure he said he grassed on someone and got them put away after he received threats or something.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Is that the rat who was interviewed on Racing uk in the last week or so ? I saw an interview with some big time punter with a degree, and i’m sure he said he grassed on someone and got them put away after he received threats or something.

Not only missing the point, and getting your pro-punters confused, but to describe Patrick Veitch as a "rat" because he "grassed on someone" beggars belief.

Roddy Owen
    Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Patrick Veitch you mean. Surely not.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

The story is this:

==========================

Everything went well for Veitch until June 25, 1998. That evening two men rang the doorbell of his Cambridge home. One explained he was a businessmen and was offended Veitch had not invested in a local leisure complex. They handed him an envelope with some bank details and asked that he transfer 70,000 pounds to them by the next day. “Otherwise tomorrow I’ll come back and break your legs,” one of them explained. “Or cut them off.”

Veitch called his friends and discovered that the businessman, Calvin Hall, was an infamous local criminal who was suspected of being behind the recent execution of a nightclub gangster, according to the book. An associate of Hall’s went to the same gym as Veitch and, seeing his Ferrari in the parking lot, thought he must have a large disposable income that they could “tax.”

Veitch went to the police, who advised him to go into hiding immediately.

He spent four years living under a false name in the U.K., even though in November 1998 Hall was put on trial and sentenced to five years in prison. It was only when Hall was later sentenced to a much longer term for attempted murder of a police officer that Veitch felt he could make appearances in public again.

========================

http://www.blommberg.com/apps/news?pid= … refer=home

so what would you have done Graeme so as not to be, in your mind,
    a "rat"?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.