The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Whip Ban debate

Home Forums Horse Racing Whip Ban debate

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    PEEPINGFAWN
    • Total Posts 40

ATR are having a Sunday morning forum discussion debating use of the whip.David Muir and Paul Struthers from the RSPCA will be on. I do think this will become one sided unless they invite a representative from Animal Aid. I watched a race last night when the 16 yearold Muir boy won using hands and heels only.Also some horse for example Red Chairman will only respond when the whip is not used. I dont think jockeys are punished hard enough for misuse of the whip and it should only be used for correction in my opinion. I am sure lots of people disaggree

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Rather than redouble effort, here is the lengthy thread on whip bans (deterrent or not? Discuss) that sprang up during the Cheltenham Festival;

https://theracingforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72581

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 330

Note Paul Struthers is from the BHA not the RSPCA…

Could be an interesting debate. Could also just be the same old arguments thrown back and forth all over again to no great effect. I suspect the latter…

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Its high time jockeys get their act together, maybe if they will not buck their ideas up when given holidayss perhaps a day in court or a spell in jail will do. Timmy Murphy will be at home given that he has done time for flashing his penis at air hostes’s when drunk on a flight back japan.

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

Without the whip you probably wouldn;t have "Peepingfawn" as your username…..as she’d probably not have won any races.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

"…………as she’d probably not have won any races."

Would you like to expand on that statement?!

Bear in mind that the other horses wouldn’t have been touched with the whip either.

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

ATR are having a Sunday morning forum discussion debating use of the whip.David Muir and Paul Struthers from the RSPCA will be on. I do think this will become one sided unless they invite a representative from Animal Aid. I watched a race last night when the 16 yearold Muir boy won using hands and heels only.Also some horse for example Red Chairman will only respond when the whip is not used. I dont think jockeys are punished hard enough for misuse of the whip and it should only be used for correction in my opinion. I am sure lots of people disaggree

I must admit I’m puzzled why having people from the RSPCA on will give a one sided view in favour of the whip, wouldn’t it be the other way round if any?
    Still, I don’t think there’s much of an issue to debate, horses are very well treated and the use of the new air cushioned whip is very good for the horse. If the jockeys break our excellent rules they are punished, compare this to America or Ireland.
    Contrary to popular belief, jockeys break the rules nearly every day of the week, not just in big races.
    As Sean Boyce is chairing the debate no doubt he will putting forward again the ludicrous suggestion to disqualify horses if their jockeys break the rules. Do that and not only would the punishment not fit the "crime" but just watch the levy drop through the floor.
    A top lawyer stated that anyone trying to prosecute a jockey would have very little hope of success.
    Personally I think it’s a fuss over very little.

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

The more publicity this subject gets, the more danger there is that people will take it seriously. :cry:

Sean Rua
    • Total Posts 511

Do you mean danger to the levy, Zorro?

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9229

Why should banning the use of the whip have a negative impact on racing?

There would still be a winner in every race, it would still be the one that had travelled fastest from A to B.

I personally would have no problem with jockeys being instructed that they were no longer allowed to carry a whip.

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

Having ridden in the dim and distant past, I would not be in favour of banning the whip. As an artificial aid it is extremely useful – even more so with a light saddle and riding short.

I don’t like seeing horses thrashed in a finish, but I think the answer is jockey education rather than a whip ban – and I think British racing is taking good steps towards it, particularly with the Hands and Heels races. Changing attitudes is slow work, but watching races from even only 10 years ago there is a definite difference. I think the current rules are fine, as long as they are applied justly and consistently.

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

We have had this debate before. I’m sorry but if you really think that jockey’s shouldn’t carry whips then you’ve obviously never sat on a horse in your life. Go and ask jockeys if they’d like to ride without them.

Why not go the whole hog and do away with jockeys.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Educated and well put forward as usual Sal.

I agree. This is a cultural issue that doesn’t need tackling with draconian measures. We need to bear in mind that the whip (particularly in jumps racing) can be an implement which aids jockey safety.

After all, we are human.

PEEPINGFAWN
    • Total Posts 40

We have had this debate before. I’m sorry but if you really think that jockey’s shouldn’t carry whips then you’ve obviously never sat on a horse in your life. Go and ask jockeys if they’d like to ride without them.

Why not go the whole hog and do away with jockeys.

Yes I have sat on a horse, actually the best part of 30 years and only ever used mine for corrective purposes.

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

It would have a negative effect on my racing, cormack.
    You bet on exercise gallops if you like. I’ll find something else.

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

so jockeys dont need them for corrective purposes? As I’ve said – go and ask a jockey if he’d like to ride without a whip. This debate should only be open to those that actually put their lives on the line for the sport, not by armchair "racing fans".

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I have never ridden so I cannot speak from experience. However a friend of mine, one of the great jockies of his day was taking out a fractious and headstrong two year old to rate him. As he was leaving the yard the trainer said to my friend who was in his seventies at the time "do you need a whip?" He replied "no, but I could do with another hand" !

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.