The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Where would you run them?

Home Forums Horse Racing Where would you run them?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

3 horses fancied to run well or win at Cheltehham bit the dust within 1 1/2 hours today. Kalahari King was a made to look ordinary by Rippling Ring. Then Tidal beat himself in the chase and worst to come Celestial Halo got stuffed and by a Nicky Henderson horse that probalby isn’t within 10 lbs of Binocular or Franchoek.

I have nver made any secret of which one I think is the better horse but what a position Nicky Henderson is in.

I am wondering if it’s entered JP’s head to having a nice 3 horse gamble switch Franchoek to the Supreme Novices Hurdle 10/1 Leaving the Triumph to Binocular 8/1 and Aigle DOr 6/1…..I wouldn’t think twice if Binocular is as good as I think.

Opportunity is definately there for him to take all 3 prizes.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5687

The defeat of Kalahari King doesn’t surprise me. I think some got carried away by his win at Musselburgh when he beat a pretty moderate collection. I’d aim below the top class races with him.

Rob

Zoso
    • Total Posts 479

Kalahari King needs 2 1/2 mile, not got the pace at the top level for 2 miles. Tidal Bay cant jump. Celestial Halo shouldnt be written off just yet.

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

Kalahari King was treated for a deep cut after the race. Don’t write that one off yet.

The real barney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 162

Moved to other more suitable thread

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

Celestial Halo got stuffed and by a Nicky Henderson horse that probalby isn’t within 10 lbs of Binocular or Franchoek.

Not so sure ,myself.

Just supposing Sentry Duty runs in the Supreme Novices’ and runs very well – which is very possible – or, dare I say it , wins, today’s race will take on a very different look.

Also, it is important to bare in mind,imho, that CH was carrying a penalty today ( that he was only getting 3lbs from older horses), and that he finished in a different parish to the "also rans".

Admittedly, Franchoek is in pole postion for the Triumph – no question – but today’s Donny 1.55 may well yet turn out to be a significant race.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Sentry Duty’s Flat form is arguably better than anything Binocular showed on the Flat and is without doubt superior to anything Franchoek achieved on the level.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Perhaps worth pointing out that Div II of the novice hurdle (Sentry Duty, Celestial Halo) was run in a faster time than Div I (Rippling Ring) by 1.5s (both heats run at a fair gallop to the naked eye). This would sugget the form is at least comparable, and would raise questions as to why Rippling Ring is 3 points shorter for the Supreme Novices’ than Sentry Duty as it stands, and why today’s results have allowed some to completely rule Celestial Halo out of the Triumph.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

"………..and would raise questions as to why Rippling Ring is 3 points shorter for the Supreme Novices’ than Sentry Duty as it stands, "

Three little letters………….PFN?

Colin

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

The sad truth, Colin, the sad truth.

Just what are punters going to do in the Ballymore, they’re spoiled for choice in horses to follow blindly and to slash to unreasonable prices in The Tother One & Breedsbreeze!

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Sentry Duty’s Flat form is arguably better than anything Binocular showed on the Flat and is without doubt superior to anything Franchoek achieved on the level.

I should have said you would have thought he wouldn’t be within several pounds of them…………after today who knows he could be anything.

But If I was JP I wouldn’t be running 2 in the Triumph unless I thought one of them just couldn’t win.

Can’t see the sense in letting a Cheltenhm race slip through his fingers unless of course he has a fortune riding of Franchoek for the Triumph which I was assured is not the case, but with him how would you know for sure?

Perhaps the fact I want Binocular to win the Triumph is clouding my judgement. :?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Tidal Bay cant jump. Celestial Halo shouldnt be written off just yet.

Too true, Zoso.
    There’s a world of difference between getting beaten by jumping ability (Tidal Bay), and being outpaced when held up off a steady pace (Celestial Halo).
    CH was a stayer on the flat and, as he showed on his previous run, needs a much stiffer test than yesterday’s turned out to be.
    IMO, he is still a considerable force for the Triumph, particularly with any cut in the ground.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

I was very impressed with Rippling Ring as he showed a lot of class and travelled well during the race and jumped pretty well in the main.

Dont think Cheltenham will suit him as they may take him off his feet but the 2m or 2m4f novices event at Aintree will suit him as he will have the long home straight with which to travel through in the same way he did at Doncaster.

King Harald also did well in the 4m chase and looks a type for either the Midlands National or the Scottish version

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

One things for sure, not many people seem to be phased by celestial halos defeat yesterday, he’s quickly moving back into a general 8-1 in the triumph market…

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

One things for sure, not many people seem to be phased by celestial halos defeat yesterday, he’s quickly moving back into a general 8-1 in the triumph market…

Looking at the race again, and another thing is for sure – his jumping is going to have to improve if he’s going to be a force at Cheltenham.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.