The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Where next for Kauto Star?

Home Forums Horse Racing Where next for Kauto Star?

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

My view is this.

Certainly let him rest until the new season, give him a prep run…

No, I’ll say it now. I think he’s had his time. Let him retire, he’s been the best horse of my lifetime.

(Kauto, prove me wrong!)

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

hairruffle
    • Total Posts 91

I think the best sight at Cheltenham for me today was him getting up looking ok. I hope that he has a nice holiday now along with Denman and they both come back well for next season. I certainly don’t think that Kauto Star is past it now. He looked to be going well until the first mistake which was quite similar to what happened to Denman last time out.

• Total Posts 94

all I can say is thank god he’s ok best sight at cheltenham today was ruby cantering him back down the course

Agree with the glad he’s okay bit but disagree with the Ruby cantering back part. What the hell was he doing riding him back in after that holy mother of a fall?

That aside he’ll be back next season God willing and take in the same route as always I’d imagine, KG and GC.

Should he have not ridden him back?

Ridden as in cantered him back? Absolutely not in my humble opinion, yes he may have seemed sound and as Ruby said ‘not a bother on him’. That’s all okay to say but can you tell he’s all fine muscularly /internally in a matter of a few minutes, I don’t believe so. And let’s be fair here, would it have hurt to have walked him back in hand or at the very least if ridden then walk him in. I’m not a bleeding heart campaigner here, just saying what I think is common sense.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

I would trust Ruby Walsh’s judgement on the matter to be honest.

JohnJ

• Total Posts 94

I would trust Ruby Walsh’s judgement on the matter to be honest.

JohnJ

9.9 times out of 10 so would I John. I’m not beating up here on Ruby but I just think it wasn’t the wisest move, bit of the been there and done it before and oh dear whoops he’s out for a season injured now(Exeter 2005). Anyway, just glad they both came home in one piece and fit to fight another day that’s the main thing, we’ll just have to agree to disagree. :wink:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The last thing Kauto needs after a horror fall like that is a trip to Aintree.

He didn’t like Aintree when Our Vic beat him there and i think connections decided to leave that track alone and also keep him to 3 runs a year.

• Total Posts 980

From what Ive been hearing is Kauto Star is not worthy of any publicity, he hasn’t done anything for our sport and on that note it does sound like Nicholls should look at ending his disapointing career.

It’s alright Mr Wilson. I think someone found your dummy & I’ve got a plate of rusks if you want one.

Seriously though, no-one is saying Kauto Star is no good but today he made an error & paid the price. Connections of Imperial Commander along with the people who backed him are ecstatic & rightly so. His trainer is well within his rights to feel aggrevied by all the talk of it being a two horse race & entitled to have a little gloat.

Do you think Ruby Walsh & Paul Nicholls will be throwing their toys out of the pram or do you think they’ll get right back in the saddle for the next campaign?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Ruby cantered Kauto Star past back the stands to tell everyone on the course that the horse was fine after its fall and will return another day, and for that I thank him.

Much as though I’d love to see Kauto Star run at Aintree in three weeks the course doesn’t ideally suit him. In days gone by the Whitbread would have been a decent end-of-season target but since the drastic decline in that race the horse should be retired for the season and come back to win a fifth King George which would be terrific.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6009

Charlie Hall – will he, won’t he over 25f on a flat galloping LH track with proper fences on likely good ground burdened with a G1 penalty towed along by Ollie Magern :)
    King George
    Racing Post Chase…

…goodbye and thanks Kauto Star

• Total Posts 1982

Ruby cantered Kauto Star past back the stands to tell everyone on the course that the horse was fine after its fall and will return another day, and for that I thank him.

I second that, Phil.

I understand how some might consider it irresponsible, but Kauto got the warmest reception of the day when he approached the stands after his fall.

Kauto didn’t look too affected by the experience. He was moving well and his ears were pricked – his own way of telling us he was OK.

• Total Posts 980

I second that, Phil.

I understand how some might consider it irresponsible, but Kauto got the warmest reception of the day when he approached the stands after his fall.

Kauto didn’t look too affected by the experience. He was moving well and his ears were pricked – his own way of telling us he was OK.

He would’ve probably gone round again if they’d let him. If only to stand by that fence & kick lumps out of it!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Good news on Kauto thanks for that.

Little doubt in my mind Kauto Star will win the King George again. As far as the Gold Cup is concerned that too is a possibility.

When AP pressed the button in the race today Ruby gave him Kauto slap and unlike in 2008 he responed well. He had spotted the danger and no way was he going to let them get 5 lengths on him this time. I think people are confusing that with a horse not going well…Kauto had bags left in the tank IMO

Who knows what would have happened from there on in had he stood up. Considering Imperial Commander was going better than Kauto at Haydock 3 out and he manage to peg him back then there’s nothing to say he wouldn’t have done the same again.

Thought AP was brilliant by the way and Denman lasted longer under him than he would have anyone else…..so the knockers be silent!!!!

On the subject of where to now? I doubt if PN will change the master plan and Kauto will have one more go at the Gold Cup while Big Bucks sticks to hurdles and Denman goes for the National.

Much will then depend on Kauto’s well being but his acceleration will most like desert him and by 2012 and either he will be retired after the 2011 Gold Cup or PN may send him for the 2012 National by which time all being well Big Bucks with 3 World Hurdeles under his belt will be the stables new Gold Cup hope.

I would say that’s how PN will be viewing it as the Gold Cup is what it’s all about.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Internets been down most of the day and I just saw the betting fr the 2011 Gold Cup :shock: 6/1 Kauto Star?

Considering Denman won’t run IMO and the only other horse on 4 legs who could beat him is Imperial Commander and I would be so sure he could without Denman’s help that has got to be the best EW bet in history. If he turns up of course.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

I tend to agree with soba and sovies friend because the fall he took looked awful. But, then again, if Ruby hadn’t’ve caught him so quickly he would probably have cantered back by himself possibly taking in a couple of fences as well. It was good that everyone could see quickly that he was ok. As for the race itself, I suppose Ruby is the only one who could tell us how good he was or wasn’t going, and I’m sure I heard someone in the commentary box comment to someone else that he was not travelling well. Cheltenham isn’t really his course, even though he has had such success there. He is imperious at Kempton, but seems vulnerable at Cheltenham.Denman was superb; his jumping was a joy to behold, and it was interesting how his lass said he had blossomed in the last week or so just as he did last year. But I don’t want this to go down in history as the race that Kauto Star lost..it’s the race that Imperial Commander won.

Participant
    • Total Posts 274

No no no. 6/1 about kauto to win the 2011 gold cup is entirely valueless IMO. Give him the rest of the season off, bring him to the king George next year and consider the position if he loses, which I doubt he will. If he wins take him to Cheltenham again via the normal route. If he loses next years gold cup take him back to kempton for his final run in 2012.
    Under no circumstances would I consider the grand national for him.

• Total Posts 811

I am amazed and so relieved that Kauto Star is OK after a totally horrendous somersault – that fall could quite easily have ended his life – much less falls have done so. I wasn’t able to watch or hear the race live – so glad now as I would have been beside myself seeing that. By the time I knew about it I knew he was in fact fine. Not completely happy with him being cantered back – would have preferred a walk back in-hand – as who could say in such a short time that he was 100%? What worries me is how he missed that fence by so much – it wasn’t just hitting the top – he completely misjudged it … and for a horse with so much experience hat’s a concern – his famous blunders at the last fences were completely different to what he did 4 out yesterday – he got up straight away so he wasn’t exhausted – I wonder if Ruby has an explanation?

nelson72
    • Total Posts 11

deleted

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.