The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Where is the "star" jockey racing needs

Home Forums Horse Racing Where is the "star" jockey racing needs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

Racing needs a star to get its image back into the public attention at the moment the sport is full of people with no personality, in a 21 century media driven world racing is falling way behind.

Where is racing’s equivalent of Wayne Rooney, Freddie Flintoff, David Beckham, Lewis Hamilton even John McEnroe or Alex Higgins. Where is racing’s version of Robbie Williams whether you like Robbie or not he gets people talking.

When was the last time you picked up a Sunday Newspaper and saw papparzzi pictures of a jockey, the current jockeys avoid publicity and when they get on tv are so shy or moody and just wanna get away racing needs someone who falls out of a nightclub drunk or takes the odd illegal substance but can still get on a horse and ride winners the next day, where is the good guy who everyone likes and wishes to be.

You ask people in the street who Ryan Moore is I could guarantee few would know he may well ride horses better than anyone else but if he had rode every winner at Goodwood for the last two days would the media have been interested would the public be talking about it. if Beckham scores a goal for an american soccer team its on every news bulletin, racing needs someone at the moment the horses are not getting the public talking and neither are the jockeys.

The only news publicity was when Kieron Fallon and others were investigated by the police, Moore, Spencer, Fallon and McCoy come across and dull and moody when interviewed and they will not get the public talking and racing will get left behind like Snooker.

Snooker everyone knew the snooker players of the 80’s the characters then in the 90’s they all got serious and snooker fell out of public favour until Ronnie O’Sullivan livened it up, racing is going the same way

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5123

racing needs someone who falls out of a nightclub drunk or takes the odd illegal substance but can still get on a horse and ride winners the next day,

Terry Biddlecombe?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

I’d suggest racing really doesn’t need someone who as you put it "takes the odd illegal substance but can still get on a horse and ride winners the next day".

I believe we’ve had a few of those failed drug/drink tests and the media weren’t exactly covered in pics of it.

What racing needs is a number of top quality jockeys who keep themselves to themselves but are at least confident and friendly in front of the camera – 10 Belinda Gravity’s wouldn’t go amiss.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

Fallon, McCoy, the Hills twins, Pat Eddery, Piggott, Spencer, are just a few jockeys I can name who fit into the nondescript po – faced personality group. McCoy is by far the most eloquent of that bunch, and that isn’t saying a lot.

Counter that with other top jockeys like Messrs Carson & Dettori, who although not in the Stephen Fry category of eloquence themselves, at least displayed a bit of light-heartedness and humour.

The most eloquent of all the jocks, and one who had a pleasing personailty, was American, Steve Cauthen – a breath of fresh air when he was over here riding.

And no, being a "character" doesn’t mean you have to get drunk and fall out of taxis – or worst of all, act like Pete Doherty.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

LOL. A thought provoking post, Himself.

I think you’re being a bit unfair on racing though – characters appear to be in short supply in all sports. Pasta-eating metrosexuals the lot of them. :D

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

Where is the star racing needs?

He’ll be at Sunbury this afternoon. More deity than man, he has an entire religion behind him. Another 60/1 winner on Saturday, scooting home by half the track and a shoe in for highest strike rate and level stakes profit at the end of the season. What more do you want?

Who am I talking about?

Sir Richard Hills[/color:1g76iux0][/size:1g76iux0]

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

What about Fallon?

He pulls jockeys off horses, has affairs with trainers wifes, is accused of corruption, gets banned for taking illegal substances, punches a jockey from time to time, – yet is quite brilliant in the saddle :lol:

I would say Fallon is box office and a lot of non racing fans will have heard of him in my opinion.

Mike

*may I add, some of the above is only alleged 8)

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

Failon box office?

Compare and Contrast:

1) 16,503 go through the turnstiles to watch Richard Hills ride some non-thoruoghbreds at Newbury yesterday.
    2) 16 men and a dog turn up for Failon’s long and unawaited return to the sand at Dundalk yesterday.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Failon box office?

Compare and Contrast:

1) 16,503 go through the turnstiles to watch Richard Hills ride some non-thoruoghbreds at Newbury yesterday.
    2) 16 men and a dog turn up for Failon’s long and unawaited return to the sand at Dundalk yesterday.

16,503 didn’t go just to see Richard Hills 8)

16,503 didn’t have to pay to get in 8)

Many thousands turned up at Dundalk yesterday and had to pay 8)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Lester Piggott was hardly the most talkative jockey ever, nor was he renowned for his post race antics – he just did the job and went home, and everybody knew who he was.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

I don’t think we need any more human ego merchants in racing. The name of the sport in horse racing and let the horses be the celebs.

Moore, Fallon, McCoy or Nijinsky, Desert Orchid, Red Rum I’d rather have equine stars any day.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Attempts have been made to create some degree of fandom for jockeys in the past which didn’t amount to much. Remember in the mid-90s how certain tracks would, at their Sunday fixtures, issue “autograph cards” with around a dozen jockeys depicted on them, the aim being for anyone so inspired to flag down said jockeys and get a squiggle off and a few words out of them? I seem to remember that Uttoxeter was particularly keen on pushing these.

However, not only was this scheme compromised by the cards being printed before certain of the listed jockeys had been mangled in injuries the previous day / night, and were therefore obviously not in attendance, not all the jocks were always that happy to be flagged down by spotty, pen-wielding herberts in the aftermath of a poor ride.

I wish I could remember which rider it was who I saw tell a plainly distressed kid of about eight to go away, expletive (4,3) after a pretty inauspicious ride on Summer National day at Uttox around 1998ish. It was certainly one of the more famous ones of the time.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Some of the guys that Steve mentions may be in the papers a lot but are laughing stocks in the eyes of many people. Anyway I agree with Wallace – the public go to watch the horses and not the jockeys and star racehorses such as Dessie, Red Rum or Best Mate ( unfortunately most flat horses do not stay in training long enough to become well known ) is what racing needs.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

I disagree most people go racing for a day out now which is now drink fuelled look at Goodwood yesterday poor John Hunt having to battle to commentate over some women who were pissed next to the commentary box before the first race had begun. If Newmarket and others didnt have some desperate for publicity pop star like Ronan Keating or an x factor contestant playing after racing would there be as many people go.

Betting shops dont make a profit from horses anymore they need game machine and virtual racing the sport needs a face the public can asscoiate with.

Not just racing though at the England game last week half the seats were empty at start of 2nd half becuase people were still in the hospitlaity areas so perhaps its just modern society who just care for food and lots of drink

rainbow-promises
    • Total Posts 126

Tony McCoy a true legend! Frankie Dettori seems to be the personality of racing. and Lester Piggott will be remembered by all with anyone with an interest in sport, nine derbys! There are plenty horses that people have heard of that don’t have a clue about horse racing!
    I think horse racing just needs more young people to be involved. None of my friends seem to be interested despite taking them racing :?
    Days at the races perhaps a little too expensive maybe? Or perhaps it’s the commentators that make it sound boring who knows

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.