The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cultural Traits

Home Forums Lounge Cultural Traits

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kotkijet
    • Total Posts 226

…..cultural trait and a racist stereotype?

I have no opinion or hidden agenda on the question, I’m just after people’s thoughts here.

Ta.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

…..cultural trait and a racist stereotype?

A "racist" stereotype would suggest either some level of dislike or some degree of disrespect.

For example "xxx are lazy/dishonest".

On the other hand, a "cultural trait" is an observation that doesn’t have the same level or negativity.

For example, I may observe that "Swedes are reserved" or the "irish love to have a good time" or that "italians are very expressive", but that doesn’t give the message that I dislike them or regard them as inherently inferior beings.

Steve

Kotkijet
    • Total Posts 226

Hi Steve

Could it perhaps give the message that you regard certain people as inherently superior beings?

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Kotkijet,

I lived in Africa  for a while and regarded the locals, both black and white, as being different to Europeans. It would be easy to pass judgement on which culture was better, or served the overall population the best, but it is wiser to accept and acknowledge the difference, in my opinion.

On a personnal level, I try and not stereotype anyone, in any way, because everyone is different. It is harder to not have an opinion than to have a poor one.

I also think that the use of the word rascist is perhaps one of the most mis-used words around at the minute. Do you think that the estimated 900,000 illegal immigrants in the UK are all criminals ? Is that a racial stereotype, or is it a fact ?

Kotkijet
    • Total Posts 226

Hi dj

Your first two paragraphs are sound. To answer your questions, the 900,000 odd immigrants are criminals by virtue of a name given to them by the government and media. Given that immigrants from some countries are more welcome here than others then by strict definition, our current immigration policy is racist.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Why is our immigration policy rascist .. it doesnt seem to exclude anyone, as all appear to be welcome.

The sad and sorry state of affairs for the illegals in this country is basically a disgrace. Illegal immigrants are 100’s of times more likely to be a victim of crime than someone who can go to the police if they get into trouble. They are also 100’s of times more likely to get ripped off with slave wages than other people. They also cant pay tax and contribute to society like everyone else. The government should either have an amnesty or start gathering people up and sending them back. Yet if you were to say that in some places you would be called a rascist, because the folk in charge dont want a proper debate.

It seems to me that anyone who disagrees with the government is either a rascist or a terrorist.

A rascist is basically someone with too much time on their hands, theres too many things to do in life than worry about other peoples ethnic origin.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Excellent post Dave

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

"Illegal immigrants are 100’s of times more likely to be a victim of crime than someone who can go to the police if they get into trouble."

Have to dissagree with you on that quote Dave.

Have you not seen the amount of illegals who have been raping and murdering lately?

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

:)  Welcome back Lolly’s Mate.

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

If people come here illegally then they shouldn’t be let in, whether they’re black, white or green. In my book there’s nothing remotely "racist" about having a sensible immigration policy, especially in a country as small as Britain which is bursting at the seems as it is. And I also believe "racist" is often used out of context, along with other words that have "phobia" tagged onto the back of them. "Islamophobia" – what’s all that about? Do people suffer from "Jewohpbia" and "Christianphobia"? You could go on all day. "Islamophobia" has only originated from the recent spate of terror attacks made in the name of Islam, partly paranoia of some muslims who think everyone’s against them, and that’s due to the small minded individuals who tar them all with the same brush.

As for the culture and stereotype question, there is never getting away from stereotypes, but as dave jay says, it’s good to acknowledge differences without getting personal about things. No culture is better than another, we are all different, and what I love about going abroad is sampling different cultures. It’s good when a nation can take the p*ss out of itself as well…the British have a reputation for being reserved and uptight and (compared to the Americans anyway!) it’s probably true.

Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 656

Unfortunately it appears to me that "Islam" wants to take over and make us all kowtow to their way of life. I believe they should either integrate or p*** off

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.