The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

What A Load Of Cobblers. Football Season 1

Home Forums General Sports What A Load Of Cobblers. Football Season 1

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Aug 24 Barnsley V Cobbs, Odds 3/5 Home 11/4 Draw 7/2 Away.

Barnsley had a good win at Lincoln the previous Saturday and Cobblers were fortunate to beat Exeter.
    At Oakwell Northampton have lost 5 times and won 4 with there being 3 draws. Last time the Tykes beat Northampton at home was August 30th 1975, although there have only been 5 meetings since that game, 2 draws and 3 aways.
    So over the cliff we go, 4 to win at 7/2 and John Guthrie to score anytime 1.75 at 16

+11.75

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Nice 2-0 win for KSV 1919 tonight, early goal and the second score just after half time. Thought is was very sporting of the SK Poelten Capt to walk off the pitch after fouling the forward through on goal in the last 5 minutes, the ref did show him the red card after. KSV even missed a penalty in injury time, but generally looked the better team. The connection between them and the Cobblers for me is the Hotel at one end of the ground.
    Locals in Kapfenberg are beginning to dream…I might have to get a ticket for the last home match of the season :yes:

2.75 @ 11/5 returned 8

Running at +19.75

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

So Barnsley still cant beat the Cobblers at Oakwell, fortunate draw or not, not sure.
    Now that the loan market is about to close, Cobbs have bought in one from Brighton, Samy Couchene last Thursday to go along with Luke Mbete from Manchester City and a permanent signing of Tariqe Fosu (former Brentford player in the Championship). Samy went straight into the team against the Tykes and impressed until he ran out of gas in the second half. Tariqe is also struggling with fitness as hes not played for over one year. Luke is looking like a good signing, plenty of pace for a centre back and looks like he will score a couple at set pieces this season.
    Compared to last season, it appears that we will score more goals, far more pace and skill upfront to compliment Sam Hoskins (top goal scorer for the last two seasons). The striker Callum Morton is on loan from Salford City, but was with us previously and is being used upfront to chase anything and everything.
    Next match is Burton Albion at home, they score and concede, maybe just maybe this is the 4-1 home win.
    Im optimistic that we can compete this season for a top half of the table finish and SKY are offering 5/1 for that. Yes the budget is around 19th this season, but apart from the obvious likes of Birmingham etc, I believe this is obtainable.
    After Burton, the fixture list is not kind, with matches against the big guns.
    So for know 4.75 @ 5/1 for a top half finish and will go in again if the price drifts after the end of September.

Next KSV 1919 match is Sept 1st away to a newly promoted club ASK Viotsberg, 9:30am K.O UK time. I fail to understand why in Austria League 2 they have local matches at 10:30am..Its shown on SKY Bet..Should be a Away win, just how many KSV score. Hmm singles and a double for 4-1 Cobbs V Burton 1-4 ASK V KSV is going to be tickled.
    -4.75 for the top half finish

Now +15

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

OFB Cup tonight KSV 1919 home to ASK V, whom they play away in the league Sunday morning 8 to win at 21/20.
    Not had much time to check out the teams for tonight 6pm K/O..
    Now +7

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Well that was a stupid bet, reserve team played against ASK V. Note to ones self, dont rush in.

Today see’s The Brewers vist Sixfields, with two draws in the League so far. Cobblers need to win these home matches to stay in the Division and achieve a top half finish.
    A very late loan signing yesterday saw former Leeds striker Tyler Roberts arrive for the season from Birmingham City. Unlikely to start today, but a bench possible.
    As usual the 4-1 home win 2 at 40/1, Guthrie to score anytime, 2 at 10/1.
    Guthrie seems to score his share of goals for a centre back especially as Cobblers like their set piece plays.

Brackley at home to Hereford, too win this.
    So a Brackley and Northampton double at 3 at 3.4/1

Now 0

Participant
    • Total Posts 8913

Sorry, only caught up with this thread again just now.

Hereford are a decent side. I saw them defeat Southport 4-1 at Haig Avenue last week. I think the scoreline was a bit unfair on Southport but Hereford were the better side and deserved to win. I reckon they have a chance of winning the division and will be in the play offs for sure.

At least Southport got back into the winners enclosure today after three straight defeats with a 3-2 victory over Buxton. That scoreline was very kind to the visitors. Southport were much the better side but their vulnerability when trying to defend against set pieces is a real concern.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Cork, agree about Hereford after yesterday, still unbeaten after 6 games.

No joy yesterday, Cobblers hit the post twice, but thats life and a 0-0 draw, with Brackley loosing 1-2.

9:30 am today KSV 1919 away to ASK V.
    After the midweek cup loss to ASK V, they should be up for revenge and hopefully maintain their unbeaten start in the Austrian Bundesliga 2. Reading the report from the cup match, one penalty and a 60 metre shot for the second, won the match for the visitors.

KSV 1919 Away win 4 @6/4 and a 1-3 away win 1 at 18/1.

Ongoing -5

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

KSV 1919, managed to somehow grab all three points. After conceding in the 4th minute, equalised 20 minutes later, half time being 1-1, although I thought KSV deserved the lead, but the ASK keeper made a couple of very good saves.
    Didn’t see much of the second half, but checked at around the 80th minute and the score was still 1-1. And then the excitement started, one KSV player getting two yellow cards (80 and 88 mins) and his marching orders. In the dying embers of the game KSV managed to score a last gasp winner and secure the 3 points. So played 5 won 5, second on goal difference to SV Ried who have also had a perfect start with 5 from 5. Goal difference for Ried is +11 and KSV is +7, Reid have yet to concede a goal so far.
    So a 4 @6/4 returns 10
    Ongoing +5.

Not much coming up, Cobblers V Lincoln is postponed due to international call ups for the Imps.
    There are no fixtures in Austrian Bundesliga 2, due to the international break.

Non league next week will be the only action, with some matches Tuesday night. If Brackley are defeated at home to Chorley, suspect the managerial exit door will be unlocked.
    Banbury United have had a good start to the season in the Southern League central and yesterday beat Dorchester Town in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8913

Chorley beat Southport 4-1 on the Bank Holiday. I did think about going and glad I didn’t!

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

National League North:
    Brackley suffered another home defeat Tuesday, 0-2 to Chorley.
    Today a trip over to Cambridgeshire playing Peterbourgh Sports. Both teams have 7 points so far with Sports playing a game less. Brackley need to win this to overcome such a poor start to the season.
    Southern League Premier Central
    Banbury Utd home to AFC Stamford. Quite an interesting fixture as AFC Stamford were in first place until Stourbridge’s victory last night over Barwell and are now second on goal difference. If Banbury were to win today they would join the party at the top on 13 points.

Brackley to win @23/20 and Banbury to win @11/10
    5 Double @3.51/1

0 ongoing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8913

Good luck with Brackley – at least for today!

On my way to watch Southport v Radcliffe. Our third home game in a week. After today, due to the intervention of the FA Cup, the next home game in the league is Brackley on 5th October.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Hope you enjoyed the match CAS, it certainly gets the adrenalin pumping coming back from 2 down.
    October 5th, Ill be checking me diary to see where Im working, possible its Saudi, so its limited internet there.
    If not, like you said, its a busy day for racing, but Ill look at some interesting bets for that. I do like to play the lower leagues for bets.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

Another lucky day with an injury time goal for Banbury to beat AFC Stamford 1-0. Dispute the Puritans missing a penalty in the 16th minute, which the radio Puritans commentator described as..WTF, why do the stop start run up in the Southern League..Just blast it!!
    Brackley Town a comfortable 0-2 away win against Peterborough Sports, so a nice double landed when there was no Cobblers match.

Was 0
    Now 22.58.

Just need to have a few good weeks, will look at opposing the Cobblers in a few of the up and coming matches.
    But next up is Wycombe at home with a 12:30 KO next week, could be that elusive 4-1 with our amazing new strike force.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8913

“It certainly gets the adrenalin pumping coming back from 2 down.”

Too right it does!

We were dire in the first half. Jim Bentley clearly thought so as well, because they were back on the pitch five minutes before the second half kick off.

It didn’t look like getting any better but a Route 1 goal via a goal kick which the centre forward latched onto made it 1-2 and a well worked goal from a corner made it level. And then we hit the post in the last minute!

I am not sure what to make of it. On the one hand, as you say it is a good result to get a point from 2-0 down. On the other hand, I have little doubt Radcliffe are a poor side. Southport should be taking 3 points against a team like that.

I genuinely don’t like criticising officials but the referee and one of the linesman are the worst I have seen for years. I know it is not an easy job but they were both dismal.

But overall it was it was good, entertaining game. Non league football at its best.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8913

Well done with your bets. :yahoo:

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 800

CAS,
    ”I genuinely don’t like criticising officials but the referee and one of the linesman are the worst I have seen for years. I know it is not an easy job but they were both dismal.”

They dont get a lot for it, other than the usual verbal’s from supporter’s and players, plus a few quid in transport fees. I remember playing local Sunday Morning league footie and Dermot Gallagher was refereing on the next pitch. He did it for the fun of the banter.. but obviously was respected by all those that were playing.
    Not an easy gig for refs these days. But they aint great and theres no VAR to help, so yes I share your opinion, they can be hit or miss or crap.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8913

I fully agree. As I said, I recognise it is not as an easy job and I don’t like having a go at them – I genuinely don’t. But the lad on the line had a first half to forget. He got at least three calls wrong. Fortunately for him he had a bit of a quiet time in the second half and the crowd left him alone.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.