The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

weight and distance

Home Forums Horse Racing weight and distance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 84

Hi Folks,

More damn fool questions.

Does anybody have any view as to how one might assess weight to distance, in terms of, for example, the following scenarios.

1. I am running in an 8 furlong race, carrying 8 stone 7 pounds. What weight would be to the same effect if I were in a 7 furlong race? What about if I were going 10 furlongs?

2. I am running in a 2 mile 4 furlong chase, carrying 11 stone. What weight would be to the same effect if I was going 2 miles? What about 3 miles?

As usual, all contributions gratefully received.

Brian

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

Can you clarify what you mean by ‘to the same effect’ ?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 84

Something like this.

Horse thinks "I see they want me to run 8 furlongs today. They’ve put 8 stone 7 pounds on my back. Well, I can do that. If I can get past that bruiser in stall 2, I might even try to get my nose in front, if the foreman wants me to. If they’d have put me in a 7 furlong race, though, I’d have happily carried

x

stones for them. They can forget next week’s race, though. They want me to run 10 furlongs with

y

on my back. What do they think I am, a carthorse?"

b

kiwibloodstock
    • Total Posts 54

This would be a hard question to answer, because of all the factors ivolved in the race. Colts and geldings carry more than fillies, Old horses and higher rated horses would carry more than say 3y olds or lower class horses. Horses running over fences can generally carry more weight because they are older and can cope with greater distance.
    I dont think you could say 8:7lb over 7f is the equiv of 8:10 over 8f because it depends on how fit, strong, age, sex, suited to the distance the horse is.
    Does this make sense to you?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 84

Thanks kiwibloodstock,

Yes it does.

b

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.