The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheltenham Five Days?

Home Forums Horse Racing Cheltenham Five Days?

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

It would dilute my wallet too much Richard.. They could of course join up to the rewards for racing scheme and my tickets were paid for.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 2976

Absolutely. I have been saying this for years. Something like the old Ascot “Heath” day

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Aintree will be chuffed I should imagine. I already prefer the National meeting to Cheltenham since the fourth day spoiled it, once this happens plenty more will follow suit.

The ‘Rich Ricci Mares Champion Bumper’ (Grade 1) will be highlighting day 5 no doubt, with Ruby Walsh (of Closutton :wacko: ) giving his unequivocal seal of approval.

Noel Meade with an excellent opinion, whilst the likes of Hendo and Jonjo rub their hands.

‘Noel Meade, whose winner in the Fred Winter was one of 23 for Irish-trained horses at the festival in March, said: “As far as trainers are concerned, we should be delighted but, for me, I think it’s stretched out enough as it is.

“I think less is more. I would prefer if the meeting stayed at four days. I have always thought of Cheltenham as the championship meeting but, the more they dilute it, the less it becomes that. There are races there already that probably shouldn’t be there. It should be about champions and we don’t want to dilute the product any further.”

Well said Noel.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

We’ll be having a “Ryanair” Hurdle. Odds-on Champion or Stayers Hurdles or both.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

They might add a Tote Cheltenham Silver Cup for past winners of the GC that can’t win it anymore combined with novice chasers that aren’t good enough for the RSA.

But hopefully no 2m4f G1 Championship Hurdle race. I still like my idea about the 2m4f Bumper which should allow runners from Irish of British farmers.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

I have long thought what Cheltenham lacks is a selling handicap hurdle and a Mascot’s Grand National over real fences.

I hope both contests are under consideration for the extra two races.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I think there is room for a mares novices cross country handicap chase for amateur riders.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

We need an intermediate Novice Chase for horses whom are not mares, do not stay 3m, but are not fast enough for 2.5m. Why should they miss out at Chelters?

The ‘Paddy Power Who Cares Novice Chase’ (Grade 1, natch) *Registered as The Superfluous Chase*

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

I was thinking about a hurdle race for entires.

The “EBF Coolmore National Hunt Derby Also Rans Novices’ Hurdle”…. Might end in a walkover, though.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

And a legover for the winner, Ruby.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Agree with the idea of having the dross on the Saturday. That way any clash with the football and rugby will not matter so much. Keep the Gold Cup on the Friday and have the Ryanair as the Saturday feature.

Plenty of other festivals do not have their biggest race on the last day, so I see no reason why Cheltenham should.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 2553

Grey Horse Handicap

Captain Robbo
    Participant
    • Total Posts 929

CHAMPION CHASE -CHAMPION HURDLE- GOLD CUP

The only races of interest- FACTS

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Some ludicrous suggestions here – particularly from me.

What is needed is thinking outside the box.

Can’t it become a mixed meeting?

Maybe with a Tapeta track laid?

And does it have to be purely horseracing?

As the drainage system further deteriorates, isn’t there scope to move the Boat Race from The Thames to Prestbury Park?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“And does it have to be purely horseracing?”

There used to be a greyhound race there, before the Thursday card started I think. I remember backing the winner once: Liketheclappers, trained by Carly Philpott.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Superb – love it.

Louise12
    Participant
    • Total Posts 372

A grade 1 bumper for fillies by Galileo, sponsored by Coolmore. First prize is a covering by a son of Galileo.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 116 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.