The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

War of Attrition

Home Forums Horse Racing War of Attrition

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Story here

dave 22
    • Total Posts 339

I very much doubt whether he or or Kicking King will ever be back to be honest

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

true

WOA was a decent horse i suppose, but KK has been sorely missed.

I would hope that the connections of WOA (and others) perhaps reflect on tiresome business of gearing the season around one race and have alook at the professional, rewarding and exciting campaigns experienced by the likes of Kauto, Brave inca and Katchit

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I very much doubt whether he or or Kicking King will ever be back to be honest

Me, too.

How many chasers really return to previous form after missing more than a season?

Steve

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Yes this is sad to see. I was looking forward to WOA, KK & Trabolgan all coming back for a shot at Kauto Star. I just hope the other two make it, but like others here I fear the worst for them all.

dave 22
    • Total Posts 339

i think your right clivex. some trainers seem to run horses ‘half’ fit, leaving enough to work on for the ‘big day’, and i think this has alot to do with there injuries as they are not fully prepared to take the run.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Don’t agree with you there dave22. Horses can get injured when working as well as racing.

I think clivex’s point is that it is frustrating to see top class horses wrapped in cotton wool only to get an injury just before the big day (usually Cheltenham) when there are plenty of big prizez to be won from November to February.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Thats right David and I do wonder if (unless the horse is a fragile See you then type) whether it is really the best method of training..which leads me to wonder about Dave’s point too. Could be something to that…

I think its tiresome for the public too to see "champions" toiling around some totally unsuitable course/trip/going/fences just in the supposed aim for fitness

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

I fear we are going to see a similar campaign for Sublimity as well.

It will be interesting to see how Kauto Star performs next year in the context of the arduous campaign he had this year. Could well prove you dont need to molly cuddle to chasers to keep them going.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Yes Aidan. A real shame too, because hes an exciting horse

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Quote: from clivex on 3:46 pm on April 25, 2007[br]true

WOA was a decent horse i suppose, but KK has been sorely missed.

I would hope that the connections of WOA (and others) perhaps reflect on tiresome business of gearing the season around one race and have alook at the professional, rewarding and exciting campaigns experienced by the likes of Kauto, Brave inca and Katchit<br>

How about the unrewarding and exciting campaign that led to Azertyioup’s retirement…. Not all horses have the same constitution Clive, and yes I would like to have seen WoA campaigned more often than he was…..but c’est la vie, can’t see him returning.

JohnJ.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

John

Not defending that seemingly silly decision to run azerty that last time, but WOA could surely have been better primed for top prizes rather than "getting fit" in unsuitable conditions?

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

It seems unreasonable to question connections handling of a horse when he’s a Gold Cup winner but……<br>

dave 22
    • Total Posts 339

davidbrady i am quite aware that horses can break down at home, but this can be due to running in a race when not fully fit.<br>Im my opinion horses should be trained for there next race, the next one is a bonus

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

That Henrietta Knight is some trainer, eh?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.