The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

U.S Presidential Election

Home Forums Lounge U.S Presidential Election

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4706

“I’ve backed Harris and Mrs Obama to be the Democratic nominee.”

You are Mike* and I claim my five pounds.

* especially if you cash out on 4th November.

Participant
    • Total Posts 13241

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

griff11
    Participant
    • Total Posts 302

I’ll have to take issue with this BigG if you don’t mind.

“To hit a target, even though it was his ear from 130 yards is something Olympic shooters do.”

Once dialed in, I can hit a coke can consistently at 150 yards, less consistently at 220 yards and I’m only using my .22, this lad had a proper gun.
    AND for the record, I’m not an Olympic shooter, or even close.

While not wishing to be some sort of conspiracy theorist, there are a few points with this incident that I can’t quite come to grips with.

1. How did a young guy get a gun from his car onto the roof? A rifle, covered or otherwise is pretty conspicuous. I understand he was stopped at the check in because he had a rangefinder, twice!! How did he get his gun past the checkpoint?

2. What about getting up onto the roof with the gun, did he carry a ladder? (He was supposed to have bought one a few days earlier at Home Depot – similar to your B&Q).

3. A sniper team was set up above and behind Trump and I’ve never been able to understand why they didn’t get eyes on any movement on a roof only 135 yards away. Since I have read that their view was obstructed by trees. From what I saw, half the roof could possibly be obscured.
    However, with the effort that goes into securing somewhere like this, I find it hard to believe that this wasn’t covered beforehand. Somebody mentioned that another sniper shot the lad, so they must have had a good line of sight. Didn’t they monitor the roof as well as the other team? He was allegedly spotted on the roof 20 minutes beforehand……….and nothing was done???

4. I believe a few minutes before the shots were fired, the photographers were all moved to the exit side of the stage, why?

5. The reports say that he was actually injured by a fragent from the teleprompter glass shattering and not directly from a bullet. Perhaps I’m wrong, but aren’t teleprompters set up in front of the speaker? At the time of the ‘impact’, he was facing 90 degrees to the teleprompter, with his head shielding his ear from a direct line of sight.

6. People react differently to situations, but I find it difficult to believe that his security detail allowed him to stand up and do his fist pump thing, because they (or Trump) wouldn’t have known whether there was a second shooter……….or did they?

Perhaps it was all above board and genuine, if it was, unfortunately it was an opportunity missed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4158

Joe Biden – PU

Participant
    • Total Posts 8916

If Harris wins the Democrat nomination, Trump will be an even greater certainty.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

Harris’s polling may not be much better than Biden against Trump at the moment, CAS. But she has a much better chance of changing those polls between now and election day than an apparently increasingly senile Biden. It’s probably something between 30% and 25% chance Harris has right now, but that could change. In his speech at the Republican convention Trump looked a bit confused too.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4158

Harris is just one of the names at the moment. I hope the Democratic Convention will provide us with a “surprise” name that will swing the momentum towards their party. Not sure about Michelle and I wouldn’t want Hillary either, but there could be one or two names with some White House potential. At least that’s what I’m hoping for.

Participant
    • Total Posts 13241

You may not be an olympic shooter Griff, but you’re an exceptional good shot.
    The question is, could you do it knowing the police weRe climbing up behind you
    and that a sniper was going to take you out within a matter of seconds. It’s
    one thing to hit a coke can from 150 yards, what about the assassination of
    an ex president. As good a shot as you are, I think there’s a bit of a difference.

I do agree with you that a lot of questions still have to be answered and no doubt
    heads will roll.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8916

“But she has a much better chance of changing those polls between now and election day than an apparently increasingly senile Biden.”

I am not sure about that, Ginger. Harris is not popular. She polls poorly even with black voters.

It seems fairly clear that Biden has been in no fit state to be President for months, possibly a year or two. He could be protected for a while but he was always going to have to face Trump in a debate. Then his aides would no longer be able to shield him from scrutiny.

There was no way back for him after that disaster. His incapacity was all too clear.

Trump is certain to accuse Harris of being a big player in the cover up of Biden’s mental state. I don’t see how she can answer that.

“In his speech at the Republican convention Trump looked a bit confused too.”

He has just dodged death by a matter of an inch or two. I think he can be forgiven if he is not quite composed at the moment.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8916

Only last week, Sir Keir Starmer told the press that President Biden was “across all the detail”, had “gone at pace through a number of the issues” and “was on good form.”

Perish the thought that the saintly Starmer might have been economical with the truth!

Participant
    • Total Posts 13241

Politics aside, I’m glad that Biden has decided to stand down. He needs to spend more
    time in his house by the sea and not embarrass himself further as his mind is surely
    slipping. A lot have got behind Kamala Harris, but not Barack Obama. Is he holding a
    torch for Michelle :unsure:

Participant
    • Total Posts 13241

Harris is as low as 1/10 but she isn’t liked by all and Michelle
    Obama is Mrs popularity. It’s likely to be Harris but at 12 /1
    I don’t mind risking a few quid on Michelle.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6009

Only last week, Sir Keir Starmer told the press that President Biden was “across all the detail”, had “gone at pace through a number of the issues” and “was on good form.”
    Perish the thought that the saintly Starmer might have been economical with the truth!

I’m sure he had with him a copy of ‘International Diplomacy for Dummies’. Really, what else could he have said?

Anyway, someone whose mind is – shall we say – not as sharp as it was, will find one-to-one conversations with a largely kindred spirit rather easier than when having to think on his feet behind a lectern up against an antagonist while being watched by millions

As for Trump, his latest speech just struck me as the same ol’ same ol’ rambling, circuitous mumbo-jumbo we’ve grown used to

What’s happened to Elizabeth Warren? She struck me as a decent sort when she briefly stood as Democratic candidate for the 2020 election, or was it 2016, can’t remember

Participant
    • Total Posts 8916

Fair enough but I still think claiming Biden was “across all the detail” stretches credulity.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

Of course it was, CAS, but Starmer is being as diplomatic as possible. I don’t blame him for that.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1509

What does “across all the detail” actually mean?

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
    I've walked and I crawled on six crooked highways
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

BigG,
    The fact all donations towards Democrat election funds (when it was a Biden / Harris ticket) will need to be refunded if Harris is not the nominee… Has led me to Lay / reduce my Mrs Obama nominee bet back now to just a saver at the same price I backed her. Leaving my Harris wager as the main bet. Harris is not a certainty yet, but is only 1/6 on the machine. :-)

I think Mrs O is the only other candidate who could push her, as with so little time until the election it’ll need someone well known to the whole of the USA.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.