The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Turf Tv vs SIS

Home Forums Horse Racing Turf Tv vs SIS

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1921

I am confused by what’s happening I was under the impression some bookmakers like Paddy Power had signed with Turf Tv and others Ladbrokes, Coral etc had signed with SIS, but listening to a piece yesterday it seems that Paddy Power, Tote etc must have signed upto both Turf TV and SIS or at least that’s what was implied. Is this the case?.

Colin Little
    • Total Posts 338

I hear today that Coral have signed up with Turf TV. Not sure if they have accepted the original deal, or managed to re-negotiate it. I’m sure that will become clear when their parent company announce it to the LSE tomorrow.

Think that leaves the the bookmakers who have an interest in SIS (the likes of Ladbrokes & Hills). They have not yet signed to Turf TV, but they are now in danger of being left out on their own. I’d bet they are a bit fed up with Corals at the moment.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Think along the ATR / RUK split for the public and that about sums up the SIS / Turf split for bookmakers.

That’s the simple comparison but it ain’t that simple as both Turf TV and SIS carry very high subscriptions charges.

Of course there is yet another complication in that the major shareholders in SIS just happen to be the very same high street bookmakers who are resisting the new boy on the block.

In other words our dear big bookmakers have held the monopoly on the supply of pictures, so the "cost" has been mainly a paper pushing exercise. Now they are in the real world and their cosy set up has been messed up by competition – so they are now throwing their toys out of the pram.

Welcome to the real world boys.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1921

Now i understand I origianly thought the bookmakers had chosen one over the other so eg Paddy power had turf tv and Ladbrokes had SIS but now i see that Paddy Power and Corals have signed for both. I wonder why Ascot chose Turf Tv when they are signed tv wise to ATR? I think Ladbrokes and William Hill are going to have to give in now.

So SIS provide the service for Corals and use Turf Tv pictures am I right?

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news … Coral.html

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Following Coral’s decision to sign up with Turf TV today, I will be very surprised if all major high-street bookmakers haven’t agreed to broadcast their pictures by January 1st. They will still be taking them to court however, making a claim on ‘monopoly-like’ behaviour. the claim itself is possibly vaild, but is a bit rich considering the actual monopoly SIS have had for 20 years! Paul’s point is also true, that Hills, Ladbrokes & Betfred (the 3 who are resisting the move to Turf TV) all own shares in SIS, making the prosperity of SIS obviously beneficial to them.
    Interestingly enough, the bookmakers are also making a trip to court next year about their levy payments, which they wish to cut as a result of having to pay the extra subscription fees for Turf TV on top of the existing ones for SIS. This means that the bookmakers are blaming Turf TV for forcing them to take money out of racing. Basically, the last 6 months has been an exercise by the big bookmakers to get everyone else against Turf TV and run it out of town, although as January looms and Alphameric (one of the forces behind Turf TV) look less likely to struggle financially as the bookmakers had been holding out for, the pressure is on Hills and Ladbrokes to bite the bullet, sign up with Turf TV and hope that it is temporary.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.