The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Turf Husbandry

Home Forums Horse Racing Turf Husbandry

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Okay, I was going to call it Watering Policy, but Turf Husbandry sounds more pretentious.

Also, this has been mentioned on numerous occasions before, both here, and elsewhere.

Couldn’t help but notice today that despite the going being described as Good to Firm at Doncaster, that divots were being kicked up.

The good thing about this thread is that both NH and Flat people can contribute to it. :wink: 8) :lol:

My View
    Chuck an inch of water on the course 7-10 days beforehand, and then let nature take its course.

The problem with doing little and often is that you might end up with a firm base and a soft top. Apparently, this might affect a horse’s footing? Also, the top gets kicked off, and you’re left with something that is shitty.

By watering earlier, the top might be firm, but there is still some sort of give a few inches below.

Hopefully, there is someone here who went to the Wye College of Agriculture.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Had an interesting interview with Hughie Morrison on Timeform Radio this afternoon, when he made a similar point, going on to bemoan that watering to avoid firm ground was undermining the breed. He may have a point, although I must say that Doncaster seem to do an exceptional job managing their turf as a rule.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.