The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tubed?

Home Forums Horse Racing Tubed?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    dandan
    • Total Posts 199

Reading that sprinter Raccoon has been "tubed", but what exactly does that involve?!  

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

I think its something to do with putting a tube into a horses stomach to treat the likes of colic.

naps
    • Total Posts 159

This is when a tube is inserted in its trachea to artificially assist the horse’s breathing…..nothing to do with colic or his stomach.

beauzam
    • Total Posts 80

Inserting a rubber tube with a rounded end and an opening adjacent to it,into the nostril of a horse,down the digestive tract which you monitor visually so as not to mistakenly go down the lung.Once in place a funnel is attached to the external end into which you pour the desired liquids wether they be electrolytes or deworming agents,and the funnel is raised to create maximum downward flow.The advantage of this method over orally ingested preparations is the gaurentee of delivery to the gut.It is also the means by which you milkshake a horse using bicarbonate of soda.

beauzam
    • Total Posts 80

naps is probably correct in this context as both practices share the same name.

naps
    • Total Posts 159

The tubing is done as a last resort….after a wind op has proved unsuccessful. You won’t find too many cases of a horse suddenly improving as a result, so it’s doubtful Raccoon’s tubing will have much of a positive effect.

nore
    • Total Posts 151

Party Politics was a famous horse who was ‘tubed’. Apparently made a noise like a train whistle when running.

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

Isn’t "tubed" the dumbed-down version of "hobdayed"?

non vintagenon vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

From the extract reproduced below, it would appear that hobdaying is an internal procedure to try and open up the windpipe around the larynx, as opposed to an external tracheotomy (as Raccoon has).

What treatment is available?<br>Horses used for hacking or less strenuous jobs can cope without treatment.  It is important to keep their respiratory tract healthy from infections and allergies with good management (i.e. low dust, good ventilation, proper vaccination regime etc.).<br>In moderately severe cases, it may help to do a ‘Hobday’ operation in which a piece of laryngeal tissue (laryngeal saccule) is surgically removed to encourage a scar to form to ‘tighten’ the larynx in a more open position.  In more severe cases a ‘tie-back’ operation is often recommended.  This more elaborate operation places sutures in the paralysed side to pull and hold it open.  The ‘Hobday’ operation is often performed at the same time so that the resulting scar also helps to hold the paralysed side open, even if the sutures fail to retain their strength over time.  In horses where a tie back has failed or is not an option for other reasons, a brass or plastic tracheotomy tube may be inserted into the windpipe to allow air to bypass the larynx completely.  The tracheotomy tube and wound must be carefully managed to prevent infection and secondary complications and this method is very invasive and many people understandably find it unacceptable for aesthetic reasons.

non vintagenon vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

(It can also be medical slang for a procedure occasionally carried out on pretty ladies attending hospital…)

racinggirlukracinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

I hope this helps..

Problems with getting air to the horse’s lungs can be caused by damage or malfunctioning tissue obstructing the airways at some point. There are various operations that can be done to stiffen up the muscles, connective tissue etc. in the Pharynx or Larynx to ensure they are held open fully (if not correctly). For instance if an area of paralysis means the muscular flap is not retracting correctly it can be ‘fired’ to stiffen it so that it does. This can be done in either area.  <br>   In the most severe cases a tracheotomy is done where a plastic or brass tube is put directly into the windpipe and out through a valve on the underside of the neck (i.e. bypassing any of the compromised nose-pharynx-larynx route). A bung will normally be placed into the tube in everyday conditions but removed when the horses is exerting itself to allow clearer breathing.

A hobday also takes the vocal cords out, so a horse cannot whinney after the op, A tie back is the simplist op…

A tubed horse needs to be kept in a dust free envirioment, has the tube gets messy…..

beauzam, your answer would more likely kill the horse lol! I think your are confusing your self….tubed and tubing…easy mistake to make tho…

(Edited by racinggirluk at 6:38 pm on June 9, 2007)

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

I believe that, many years ago in a Grand National, a tubed horse drowned after ending up in the canal.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3089

<br>I once owned a horse that was tubed – backed him in a novice hurdle at Towcester and he was four lengths clear at the third last but a piece of mud had got into his tube and he choked on the uphill run and was pulled up before the second last!

The horse was later claimed by Martin Pipe (long before he was famous) and on it’s first run for him was backed from 4/1 to 11/8 in a novice hurdle at Exeter. Unfortunately for his backers, it started to rain heavily while they were circling at the start and the water getting into his lungs ended his prospects of winning the race.

I remember his lad telling me that cleaning out his tube when the horse had a ‘cold’ was the least popular job in the yard.

Btw, tubed or not, he won a selling hurdle for me, a point to point for Johnny Gamble and a novice chase for David Barons over a period of three years, so it does work for some horses.

AP

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

beauzam, as they say on TV, don’t try this at home!!!  Your description is way off the mark.

A tubed horse has a hole cut halfway down its neck and a tube with a brass ring is inserted to aid breathing.  A plug is normally inserted into the brass ring when the horse is not galloping to prevent dust going straight into the lungs.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from naps on 12:28 pm on June 9, 2007[br]This is when a tube is inserted in its trachea to artificially assist the horse’s breathing…..nothing to do with colic or his stomach.<br>

I beg to differ, I think the tube is used to treat loads of horse ailments, Am I not right  Naps ???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.