The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tralee Racecourse Sold Off and Closing

Home Forums Horse Racing Tralee Racecourse Sold Off and Closing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

At The Races have just reported that it will be announced tomorrow that there will be no more racing at Tralee

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4811

They can close them all down, The Curragh, Leopardstown, Fairyhouse and Punchestown excepted.

Perpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

Was there a reason given?

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

I don’t see a projected last date of racing given in the article – is there likely to be one last Festival next year, say?

I haven’t been racing in Ireland yet, but it’d be a bit remiss not to take in a meeting there before it closes, assuming that isn’t already Game Over.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

ATR said no more racing at Tralee wether they will do a farewell i dont know its business no sentiment where business and money are concerned

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

The North Kerry Foxhounds are bringing racing back to Tralee for the first time since the racecourse closed in October 2008 and the hunt host a point to point at the venue on Sunday.

Local rider Gerry Mangan, who rides with the hunt, knows the track better than most and partnered his first racecourse winner on Skidroe Joe at the course in September ’08. Mangan stated “the North Kerry Foxhounds, and its Chairman Mike O’Sullivan, decided to stage a meeting at the track this year and it goes ahead on Sunday with the old racecourse and facilities being used.”

He added “the track itself has been farmed with cattle since the racecourse’s closure but it is in smashing condition for Sunday where they will race over the old chase course, with 13 fences and two and a half circuits to complete. Frost would be the only worry for the meeting but hopefully we’ll avoid it.”

“The old weighroom, parade ring, stable-yard and car-parks are in full use on Sunday so there will be no tractors pulling cars out of fields!”

Mangan is a well regarded rider on the southern circuit and has 65 point to point winners (23 wins in the ‘07/08 season) ridden. However, the 26 year old has yet to make the breakthrough on the racecourse and states “I don’t have any good Open horse to ride this season but I do ride for Robert Tyner and Sean Ahern.

"I’ve no Cheltenham ride lined up at this stage but I am available to ride whenever anybody wants me in point to points or on the track. I work full-time for John Thomas McNamara’s breaking and pre-training yard in Co Limerick.”

http://www.irishracing.com/v5newsitem?prid=50696

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Great news IC – hope they get a good attendance for the meet :)

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Just think how many homes can stand unsold on a piece of land that size! They could build a

whole estate

of empty, unsold houses.

grey dolphin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 653

Only went to Tralee once and it already had the axe hanging above then. Had something of an unloved feel about it and I just don’t think it was well supported by the locals for whatever reason. Unlike Listowel and Killarney.

But it’s a shame it’s going.

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

Look at the dates lads.

The Austin Stack Park development never went ahead for obvious reasons so Ballybegan is still exactly how it was two and a half years ago. Great to hear that the old course will see some racing again, albeit only a p2p meeting.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Builders and banks go bust but racing goes on forever.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

The Irish P2P Spring fixtures were released today and there’s another meeting scheduled at Tralee for the end of January.

Looks like there’ll be racing at the track in 2012 too :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.