The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Towards a better racing srvice

Home Forums Horse Racing Towards a better racing srvice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

Services to punters seem stuck in the past. What things do punters really want and why? Is it extra information; time saving to enable own selections (do databases actually achieve this for you?) or just profitable tips?

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

I voted ‘other’ because I want to see horses’ weights published as well.

empty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

sectional timing along with proper course info, rail movements ( particularly how much is added to the race distance) and going descriptions etc, though the latter would not be essential

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

With GH and Maurice. An on-going database of horses’ raceday weights would be a most useful guide to fitness/readiness, particularly for mature NH horses. With colts and fillies on the Flat not convinced it would be so valuable as they are still growing (at various rates) so historical weight data on an individual wouldn’t necessarily mean much if it’s x pounds heavier y weeks/months later. Though no doubt useful generalised trends could be gleaned.

So ‘other’ it is. ‘Paddock inspection’ would be second choice or if I were primarily a Flat bettor ‘Sectional timing’.

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

I agree with Maurice too.

robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

Yes some good replies. I did think of a few other categories but there are only 10 lines available.

In the 1980s when they remeasured all the flat courses the clerks were instructed by JC to give out information on any and every distance change. This has never happened.

Last year we were told that owners and trainers were being instructed to cooperate to provide sectional timing on all courses by June. Never happened.<br>(Would people like the horse raced distances as well – that Turftrax do not make available?)

Horse weights are an integrity issue for non-trier evidence as well as general fitness. Hong Kong, Japan and soon Australia will manage to record and communicate horse weight data. In UK the trainers do not like that information being made available so I suspect it has to be an over-riding racing integrity issue.

Easy to be defeated but does anyone support providing the authorities with polled data on what punters actually want from the sport, and what is the best way to go about that for a positive result?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3106

<br>Robert,

Please get your facts right – the conditions of almost all races now include the fact that runners will be required to carry speed sensing equipment. Owners and trainers have no say in this matter.

If the sectional timing info isn’t in the public domain, it’s not the fault of connections.

AP

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

What I would like to see is download-able racecards and results that would bump into excel. I have been trying for age to work something out for myself but it means cribbing and re-formatting cells and data. I have surrendered.

I dont know if it would be profitable but its the sort of thing I like doing.

empty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Robert

If your designing your own racing DB, i’d make everything exportable (like DJ states) to programs like Excel, very useful for analysis imo

(Edited by empty wallet at 7:22 pm on Aug. 18, 2006)

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

Dave – I had a macro which extracted info from the RP results screens but, alas, they changed the format and that was that. I dare say I could resurrect it and I might do. If I do I’ll give you a shout. (It did mean re-formatting, etc, but I used a macro to do most of it.)

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Sounds great Corm .. better jump to it .. :biggrin:

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Jockey’s mobile phone bills? :o

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

What would be good would be a database of horses who’ve sweated up/misbehaved in the paddock. This info is sort of available but if someone summarised it in one tidy document it’d be good.

John Francome once said on TV that horses sweating up between the hind quarters in the paddock who went on to  win could be counted on one hand in a season. I dismissed the remark as a soundbite but recognised that there might be something in it so made a point of keeping an eye on it. Since then I’ve seen many, many horses sweat up in that manner at the races and NOT A SINGLE ONE HAS EVER WON. I readily dismissed Horatio Nelson as a potential winner on seeing him in the paddock before this year’s Derby, for example.

Also lots of horses sweat up, run poorly and then are back to form next time.

Important info and not widely available without extensive trawling.  

robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

Quote: from apracing on 6:05 pm on Aug. 18, 2006[br]<br>Robert,

Please get your facts right – the conditions of almost all races now include the fact that runners will be required to carry speed sensing equipment. Owners and trainers have no say in this matter.

If the sectional timing info isn’t in the public domain, it’s not the fault of connections.

AP<br>

Alan,

That was what owners and trainers were being told last year, as you will be aware certain parties were refusing to cooperate even at Newmarket. The full provision of sectional data from all courses, which is the promised service we are discussing (not the rules of racing) has never happened.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

Horse weights also – vital stuff. I’ve been banging on about that one for years. A set of scales can’t be that expensive surely.<br> <br>Should the trainers  be required to publish results of blood tests also (or indeed should it be mandatory for vets to do so)?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.