The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Top Weights in Grand National

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks Top Weights in Grand National

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Would he have the class? Doubt it. Concentrate on horses that have been competitive in Class 1 over fences (you can make an exception for those with good Aintree fence form)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9062

think I’ve gone full circle and come back to Point Barrow!

batman
    • Total Posts 489

was having another look Hi Cloy has won the Melling chase before, he’s 11years old and Ginger Mccain tried to buy him of MH just like he bought Amberleigh House…….intresting

Participant
    • Total Posts 31540

With thanks to Andy Mount, Parson’s Legacy is someting like 0-18 in big fields (haven’t got his book with me at the mo)

L’Ami looked like a non-stayer in the race last year.

Agree L’Ami did look like a non stayer in last years race but prior to that looked as if it would suit. There may have been another reason for his below par display last term.

Could not give a ….
    Parsons Legacy may not have won any Carvills, but doesn’t it mean something that his best performance (better form than any race he won) was over 4m on good ground in the Scottish National.

How many runners in that race Carvills eh?

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31540

was having another look Hi Cloy has won the Melling chase before, he’s 11years old and Ginger Mccain tried to buy him of MH just like he bought Amberleigh House…….intresting

Hi Cloy barely stays 3m let alone 4m4f. Save your money batman.

Value Is Everything
    carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Parsons Legacy may not have won any Carvills, but doesn’t it mean something that his best performance (better form than any race he won) was over 4m on good ground in the Scottish National.

How many runners in that race Carvills eh?

No need to be snippy mate, we’re all on the same side……

It just worries me that his wins both over hurdles and fences have all come in small fields, but I take your point about the Scottish National. I mean to look at that race again- I had a feeling his jumping wasn’t great that day but I may be wrong…..maybe you’ll convert me!

On L’Ami I find it doesn’t pay to forgive a previous poor performance in this race- I can’t remember a horse flopping one year and subsequently winning.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31540

Carvills,
    Sorry did not mean to sound narky,
    Of my four bets in the National it would be Parsons Legacy who’s jumping worries me most. I don’t think he is a poor jumper just not as good as the others. Anyway, I think at the price it is worth taking a chance with.
    Probable runner, stays well, acts on the likely ground, good record in the spring and well handicapped. Slight doubts about his jumping and current form but can’t have everything in my favour for a 35/1 chance.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 2440

Looks like Beef or Salmon won’t be running in the national.

The trainer wants to send him to the Irish Grand National at Fairyhouse on Easter Monday.

batman
    • Total Posts 489

Hi Cloy barely stays 3m let alone 4m4f. Save your money batman.

Just a thought each to their own and all that….still like the look of Chelsea Harbour, Bewleys Berry, mckelvey

Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

I think Mckelvey is one to avoid this year. A lot of horses get ruined by the National and I think he may be one of them. Bewley’s Berry comes alive at Aintree but his run at Haydock was dire.

In the Slim Pickings camp myself. Reasonable weight, great run last year and another year older and wiser. Has shown himself to have suffered no ill effects running some sound races this year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31540

Ante-post betting is always a risky buisness but can be rewarding.
    If you look for horses known to be intended runners it can reduce liabilities.
    Everything depends on the price, if a horse looks over priced then why not back it? If you are a good judge there will be other good judges who will back it even if you don’t, and the price is reduced so possibly becoming unbackable.

Ginge

Value Is Everything
    batman
    • Total Posts 489

Ante-post betting is always a risky buisness but can be rewarding.

Ginge

i dont normally back ante-post once in a blue moon but my mate got a tip the year Monty’s pass won it we backed it at 25-1 which was great as we had a nice punt on it but his owner had got him 100-1 & 66-1 and won close to a million on him if i remember correct….

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9062

Eddie the Shoe in the Observer tipped Monty’s Pass the week before the National so I had, by my standards quite a big bet on him; unfortunately my partner did the same but did it as part of a double with Newcastle to beat Leeds – …..they didn’t…..

guesty
    • Total Posts 8

Do yout think the national winner will come from these shores this year or will be going back over to ireland again. Once again the irish have a strong team heading over with the likes of Snowy Morning, Slim Pickings, Hedgehunter, Point Barrow, Chelsea Harbour and Dun Doire!

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Just reading on racing post site and beef or salmon has been pulle out, thus everyone else is going up 2 lbs

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

It was pretty short odds-on from the start that Hedgehunter would be shouldering top weight IMO, so that’s no surprise.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31540

I want to forget Montys Pass, and I suspect AP does too. Had the second Supreme Glory at 50/1.

Good news about Beef Or Salmon, he is not a good enough jumper for the Grand National.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.