The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Top Racecourses

Home Forums Horse Racing Top Racecourses

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

Is there anywhere on the internet which lists the uk racecourses in any particular order ie general public popularity, prestige, or by the type of top races they run, attendance etc, if not what do people on here think are the top 10.

These are what I think and I’m ready to be shot down by the rest of you who think different.

1 Cheltenham
    2 Ascot
    3 Newmarket
    4 Doncaster
    5 York
    6 Newbury
    7 Aintree
    8 Epsom
    9 Sandown
    10 Goodwood

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

Is there anywhere on the internet which lists the uk racecourses in any particular order ie general public popularity, prestige, or by the type of top races they run, attendance etc, if not what do people on here think are the top 10.

These are what I think and I’m ready to be shot down by the rest of you who think different.

1 Cheltenham
    2 Ascot
    3 Newmarket
    4 Doncaster
    5 York
    6 Newbury
    7 Aintree
    8 Epsom
    9 Sandown
    10 Goodwood

These things are always open to question because everyone has their own personal tastes. That said, no one on this planet could put forward an argument to convince me that Epsom is better than either Goodwood or Sandown – I don’t expect it will be after the changes, either.

I’d go

Ascot
    York
    Cheltenham
    Chester
    Newmarket (Rowley Mile)
    Newbury
    Doncaster
    Goodwood
    Sandown
    Haydock

Btw, Aintree must have changed in recent years if it is top ten material.

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

In order of the prize money of it’s biggest race (in 2006):

1. Epsom (Derby)
    2. Ascot (King George)
    3. Aintree (Grand National)
    4. York (Juddmonte International)
    5. Sandown (Eclipse)
    6. Cheltenham (Gold Cup)
    7. Newmarket July (July Cup)
    8. Newmarket Rowley (Champion Stakes)
    9. Goodwood (Sussex Stakes)
    10. Haydock (Sprint Cup)

Had Doncaster staged the Leger, it would have been in between York and Sandown.

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

In order of total prize money given out per race last year:

1. Ascot
    2. Aintree
    3. Epsom
    4. Cheltenham
    5. York
    6. Newmarket (Rowley)
    7. Kempton (Jumps Only)
    8. Goodwood
    9. Sandown
    10. Newmarket (July)

and in total prize money:

1. Ascot
    2. York
    3. Cheltenham
    4. Newmarket (Rowley)
    5. Lingfield All-Weather (!)
    6. Sandown
    7. Wolverhamption All-Weather (!!)
    8. Newbury
    9. Haydock
    10. Goodwood

Hope that’s of some interest…

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

It has improved with new stands etc Clint.

Always rate Haydock as one of the top courses – well set out, great viewing, good facilities and one of the few tracks that stages Group/Grade 1’s on the flat and over jumps

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Always rate Haydock as one of the top courses – well set out, great viewing, good facilities and one of the few tracks that stages Group/Grade 1’s on the flat and over jumps

I did, but recent “developments” concerning the jumps course, plus the evident pandering to the beer boys, have both worn my botty paper-thin with the place. As I may have mentioned once or twice already on these pages!

I’d be interested to learn what the top 10 average attendance per meeting lines up as, if only to see if little ol’ Cartmel’s nigh-on 20,000 attendances for four of its six racedays per year can guarantee it a berth (possibly not quite).

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

In order of total prize money given out per race last year:

1. Ascot
    2. Aintree
    3. Epsom
    4. Cheltenham
    5. York
    6. Newmarket (Rowley)
    7. Kempton (Jumps Only)
    8. Goodwood
    9. Sandown
    10. Newmarket (July)

and in total prize money:

1. Ascot
    2. York
    3. Cheltenham
    4. Newmarket (Rowley)
    5. Lingfield All-Weather (!)
    6. Sandown
    7. Wolverhamption All-Weather (!!)
    8. Newbury
    9. Haydock
    10. Goodwood

Hope that’s of some interest…

Certainly is I remember reading some stats on money but cant find it now it showed Hexham and Kelso at the bottom. I was wondering because people say Racing UK has the best courses what do people mean when they say best courses is it top horses peforming, group 1 races, actual race course facilites etc

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

But for Derby day and National day skewing attendance figures for Epsom and Aintree respectively, thne I guess the highest average attendance at courses would be:-
    1) Cheltenham
    2) Chester.

Given that in comparison with the top courses, Chester has no real feature races (how can a course with such great attendances have no Group 1’s? ), this might suggest that Chester racegoers are the most loyal / fanatical.
    However, I think it’s more because it’s such a "social / chav / top-totty / boozy hen-party" place. The average Chester racegoer, when sober, knowing bugger-all about horses but plenty about getting bevied and laid.
    It is undoubtedly the best course in the UK for anyone hunting beaver.

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

All good courses for racing and prize money, without a doubt they are all worthy. Can’t disagree. But I simply like Fontwell! Have had some wonderful days out there in the winter. Something about it..I You can go on to the centre of the chase course being a figure of 8 and see the horses close up then return to the stands in little time.Any comments!? Some people say negatine comments..Don’t know why. Have I missed the point of this chat………

perks
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28

You can always make a wedge @ Sedge

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.