The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tom Costello RIP

Home Forums Memorials Tom Costello RIP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

I think Tom deserves a thread of his own on the main board, rather than being consigned to the memorials section. He had a huge impact on the highest level of National Hunt racing over the past two decades.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

From irish-racing.com:
    Famed horse dealer and producer of Cheltenham Gold Cup winners Tom Costello passed away at his home in Co Clare during Saturday night, at the age of 78.

Costello was a well known producer of point to point winners and sold numerous top class jumpers over a career which spanned five decades. The Co Clare native’s most notable achievement as a trainer was when his Tartan Ace won the 1973 Irish Grand National, under the late Jackie Cullen.

Costello’s eye for potential stars saw him pass The Thinker (Cheltenham Gold Cup winner in 1987), Cool Ground (’92), Imperial Call (’96), Cool Dawn (’98), Best Mate (2002,3,4) and Champion Chase winner One Man through his hands.

Tom Costello is survived by his wife Josephine and five sons John, Tom, Adrian, Dermot and Tony.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Well this is one of the unsung National Hunt heroes and what a shame he’s passed away, particularly so soon after Vincent. He performed some miracles for racing, gave us some wonderful days and even better horses.

Thanks for the memories, Tom.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

Tom’s setup is just 10 mins down the road from my home place in Clare, the locality has always been very proud of him. A lovely man, who was liked by all. His achievements and contribution to National Hunt racing are enormous. He leaves a legacy that will long endure, his 5 lads will see to that.

R.I.P Tom Costello.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Great trainer, hope the legacy will continue.

RIP Tom.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

How sad; what a legend. When someone like him is gone I can’t help but think of the overwhelming amount of wisdom and knowledge that goes with them. Condolences to his family.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.