The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

TimeForm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    carlislecarlisle
    • Total Posts 772

Hi

<span style=”font-size: 12px;”>Have you ever bought a TimeForm Annual?</span>

I have never bought one.  Shame on me! "sorry…."

If you do how do you put it to good use?

byefrom<br>carlisle<br>

(Edited by carlisle at 8:19 am on Nov. 27, 2006)

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I’ve got them all back to 61 and a few earlier ones as well.  I eagerly await their arrival and avidly read the essays on the leading or more controversial horses.

I like to go back over them from time to time and it makes fascinating reading to look at a young horse who later becomes a champion racehorse or influential stallion.

However I cannot say that they have made one jot of a difference to my betting with the exception of my 40/1 bet on North Light for the Derby.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Limited use as a betting tool but, as Adrian says, fascinating reading both at the time and for many years afterwards. Expensive, but very much value for money.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Stopped buying them in 2004. Will occasionally look at some of my old ones and find them great for bringing back memories of years gone by.<br>Stopped buying flat form books in 2005. If anyone desperate for some 1971 to 2004 flat form books (in varying conditions), let me know.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Quote: from Grasshopper on 2:20 pm on Nov. 27, 2006[br]<br>Some of the short commentaries are picquantly observed though. :biggrin: :cool:

If I knew what ‘picquantly’ meant, I would fully concur. :biggrin:

Zebra
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

I used to get them each year but haven’t for 2 or 3 years now. Main reason is that I never really got round to reading them!

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

No. I personally don’t rate anything Timeform does. If I used their figures I’d be a tramp in a gutter by now.

Still can’t get over their 138 for Celtic Swing lol I will never get over that till the day I die. ;)

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5112

I find the annuals little more than a thoroughly enjoyable review of the past season; one that revives memories good and bad in an incomparably lucid, rational and objective manner with a little gentle humour thrown in for good measure. It’s probably due in some measure to the world-weariness that accompanies the passing of the years but I do find the essays – in general – are a tad more prone to cliche and sensationalism than in days of yore but that’s nit-picking really.

As an aid to betting/form study I’d echo Grasshopper’s comments about the opening of eyes for the novice; but racing, particularly on the Flat, is too dynamic for the supplied ratings to be of much use months down the road.

The annuals themselves are a pleasure to own, admire and handle being most tactile, sensuous and aromatic. Robust shelves a must for storage.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Quote: from The Market Man on 4:35 pm on Nov. 27, 2006[br]Still can’t get over their 138 for Celtic Swing lol I will never get over that till the day I die

Don’t we know it.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Just a quick look at the RP website shows a topspeed for Celtic Swing at 135 and RPR at 133.

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

Quote: from davidjohnson on 5:12 pm on Nov. 27, 2006[br]Just a quick look at the RP website shows a topspeed for Celtic Swing at 135 and RPR at 133.

<br>Still way too high.

I won’t go on about it, I do have a tendancy to rant I know lol.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

It’s a no for me .. I’m not really interested in what other people think, I’ve got plenty of opinions of my own which I hold in the highest regard.<br>:biggrin:

carlislecarlisle
    • Total Posts 772

Hi dave jay

why am I not surprised.  Sorry mate you asked for that one.

byefrom<br>carlisle

"No man is a cottage pie"

(Edited by carlisle at 8:41 am on Nov. 28, 2006)

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Cheers carlisle .. the only thing this publication would be good for is generating a list of horses to lay or levelling up a table with a short leg.

This book is by far more useful, in my humble opinion.

carlislecarlisle
    • Total Posts 772

<br>humble pie!<br>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.