The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tiger Roll

Home Forums Horse Racing Tiger Roll

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

Honestly, they may as well aim him at the July Cup this year!

Mike

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1087

Interesting horse really. Clearly very sound and durable. Fair play to Gordon Elliot who has managed to win 3 different Cheltenham races with this horse, a grand national and now a grade 2 open hurdle. All this after a disasterous 4/5 year old season and almost a year off subsequently. He’s still a 9 year old. If I were Gigginstown I’d supplement him for the gold cup just because he’s won the cross country already. Gold cup on the way to the national is the way I’d go, followed by next season the stayers hurdle on the way to the national. He’s fit and we’ll, might as well try their luck in the gold cup.

Probably the most interestingly campaigned horse of his era, it’s a pity other trainers won’t try similar things.

Nothing to beat the feat of Flyingbolt though. Won the Thyestes off top weight by over 30 lengths in January 66, in March 66 won the champion chase on Tuesday, came 3rd in champion hurdle the following day, then less than a month later won the Irish grand national carrying 12stone 7.

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17530

He’d piss it Mike.

Easily my favourite horse of all time, I’d love to see him in The Gold Cup one day, but no idea if they’ll ever consider it.

It was the manner today, travelled like a dream the whole way, unreal. I did mention this morning that he seemed a lot more forward last time, but even I was surprised at that.

Ex RubyLightEx RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1535

I like the way he takes his racing. Only one unseat in 32 jumps races and that was when badly hampered in a Galway novices chase. He should be considered for the Gold Cup as he clearly thrives in March and loves the course.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2742

Arkle historically, however, Crazy horse despite weighing less, took a few more scalps. :whistle:

befairbefair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1133

Amazing little horse; has come from back rorm the seeming dead a few times!! Of course, I’ve never backed him, always thought he lacked ‘scope’ whatever that is.

• Total Posts 17530

Legend

Ghost of Rob VGhost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 742

I had the pocket rocket in a double with If The Cap Fits :yahoo:

Tiger Roll should have a constellation named after him. He’s one helluva stellar racehorse!

GladiateurGladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1266

Let’s hope they go for Gold next season. The little fella certainly wouldn’t be out of place in the field for the festival showpiece; would it be too much to ask that he end his career with a Gold Cup- Grand National double?

:yahoo:

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26575

Quality of performance in the Grand National would’ve seen him at least placed in this year’s Gold Cup. However, Grand National fences – like Cross Country – are different to normal fences. Very few are equally effective at all three. By no means certain he’d be able to convert the standard of form. Also, running in the Gold Cup would be a far more competitive race than the Cross Coutry. Therefore much bigger chance of having a hard race… and in turn, a bigger chance of not showing his form at Aintree. Gold Cup second, third, fifth and sixth were all below form at Aintree (first and fourth didn’t run). Indeed, only Gold Cup runner to show his form was Kemboy, who didn’t get any further than the first fence at Cheltenham. Personally, I hope Tiger Roll does not go for the Gold Cup.

value is everything
    He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 406

What if Tiger Roll had ran in the 2019 Gold Cup

Ok guys looking at the way he has beaten anibale fly twice in the gn and the fact he loves Cheltenham where do you think he would have finished in this year’s gold cup , I know it’s not an exact science and he isn’t/wasn’t a horse who would have been rated as night as NR , presenting , bristol de mai etc but given how he can travel and stay would he have been in the first 3 ? ….more to the point will someone ask davy Russell the question

GladiateurGladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1266

“His primary target will be the cross-country and if he won, we’d make a decision after that.”

Michael O’Leary after the race, according to the papers.

Boo-urns. :negative:

• Total Posts 17530

HDLG,

I’ve bet Tiger Roll for last three renewals of The Gold Cup, and although the bet for 2017 was a bit “out there”, based solely on his Munster National win as a Novice, certainly in the last 2 renewals, he would have went close. It was clear from that day at Limerick that he was a machine, and I just wish he had been given his chance.

I’m reluctant to bet him for next year, considering the crazy odds I’ve had him the last three years, but he wouldn’t be out of place in it again, but he’ll be ten, and the chance may have gone now, and you also have to factor in that he has to return in the same form, and we know how difficult this is for horses. Personally, and this is just my view, but I’d love to see him retired right now, but I’d settle for another Cross Country. If he did go for The Gold Cup, I’d have more than a couple of pounds on though.

I’m absolutely delighted that he’s been every bit as good as I though he would be, and for the first couple of years, I’ve been a bit of a one man band for him, but it’s just fantastic to see him performing as he has, and he’s now a proper superstar.

befairbefair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1133

I remember him winning the Munster National at 20-1 and being pleased he’d picked up one nice prize on what seemed to be an inevitablt downwards trajectory!!!

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

Shame they ran him in November in a way, otherwise (assuming, of course that the November run wasn’t vital to success in other races) he’d have the glorious and surely unbeatable record of:

Grand National
    21f G2 Hurdle
    Festival X Country
    Grand National

Surely O’Leary will change his mind and bring him back for a third National? They can’t give him any more than another 5 pounds.

Mention of the wee horse on here must come alongside that of Bobby (VTC) who picked up on him a long time ago on what was, to my mind and that of many others, pretty scant evidence. Wonderful eye for the Tiger, Bobby.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.