The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tidal Bay

Home Forums Horse Racing Tidal Bay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

Probably one of the most talented horses in training but a complete barmpot. First run for Mr Nicholls, maybe they are training him for the National though who in the right mind would want to be a passenger while he ponders those fences I cannot imagine. I backed him in the race last year knowing full well he was as likely to deposit his rider in one of the fences as win on the bridle, sadly his pilot baled out at the first opportunity but who could blame him!

Definitely not one to back with any confidence and best watched today to see whether his enthusiasm has been rekindled.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

The horse simply can’t jump fences, and is quite capable of blowing these away over hurdles.
    At 8/1, and with the dead 8, looks almost a bet to nothing e.w.

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

Eclipse,you have chosen to highlight another one of ‘my’ horses and again like you say if this fellows in the mood he’ll carry this lot,8/1 is a solid e/w price and compared to the stables odds-on fav who’s beaten nothing to date i cant see another danger.I would like to think Paul Nichols has him pretty straight for this as the Wylies like a winner at Cheltenham.The only thing that puts me off is the fact reet fancies him too and i cant remember him ever putting up a winner! :lol:
    Are you doing a write-up on

Calgary Bay

by any chance next? :wink:

Gazs Way De SolzenGazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2441

Looks like he is being strongly supported in the betting too, although may be influenced by the withdrawal of Get Me Out Of Here and also No Secrets.

From 10/1 into 6/1 with Stan James.

Should run well.

BosranicBosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

One of my favourites. Beats Challenger Du Luc by a head in the race for ‘Most Talented Rogue’ in my lifetime.

In my opinion, only a handful of horses could boast superior talent over the past few years. If his application matched his ability – and he could jump – he would have been a threat to all over fences.

Always entertaining to watch.

BosranicBosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

Looking at Tiday Bay on the run-in, I would estimate he gave about 70% effort. Even that maybe generous.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

I would say 70% was indeed generous, the key to getting some of his real ability to show through would be jockey that could play him at his own games. Makes you wonder how good those that finished behind him today really are. Possibly one of the few horses that could beat Big Bucks come March if he were to run in the race, though perhaps they may send him chasing again.

It will be interesting to see where he heads next apart from the psychiatrists.

Seven TowersSeven Towers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 607

He seemed to be looking into the sky for divine inspiration between the last 2 flights :shock:

obiwankenobi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 339

He seemed to be looking into the sky for divine inspiration between the last 2 flights :shock:

Runs like a horse with a back problem.

ajiaji
    • Total Posts 470

Either

– he has a physical problem and is too brave or nice to complain
    – he is more intelligent that most of the people who have ridden him and is crying out for another intellectual to play with him

He looked nice in the parade ring today, could have won.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

One of my favourites. Beats Challenger Du Luc by a head in the race for ‘Most Talented Rogue’ in my lifetime.

In my opinion, only a handful of horses could boast superior talent over the past few years. If his application matched his ability – and he could jump – he would have been a threat to all over fences.

Always entertaining to watch.

How about Maylane?

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

I’ve been convinced since he ‘went wrong’ that something is ailing him. Some of you might recall Bird’s Nest a top class 70s hurdler who got called various names for his habit of hanging severely under pressure. A post-mortem revealed a serious heart problem.

Horses with form figures like TB’s in his early days do not suddenly become rogues imo.

22/111221/111211

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4609

Bearing in mind who used to train him – anything is possible.

BosranicBosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

I’ve been convinced since he ‘went wrong’ that something is ailing him. Some of you might recall Bird’s Nest a top class 70s hurdler who got called various names for his habit of hanging severely under pressure. A post-mortem revealed a serious heart problem.

Horses with form figures like TB’s in his early days do not suddenly become rogues imo.

22/111221/111211

His form figures strongly suggest that he’s a bit too smart for the game now. If, indeed, he does suffer from a physical problem – John Francome has always insisted it could be his back – I doubt he would have held his form quite so well over three years in three serperate disciplines.

In my opinion, Brian Hughes handled him beautifully. I had never seen a jockey tweak his mounts ears just to humour him until the Cleeve Hurdle in 2010. It duly worked that day, with Tidal Bay hammereing Time For Rupert. Unfortunately, Tidal Bay worked that one out pretty quickly and hasn’t won since. Imagine his horror when realising he’d been had!

I hear he was bit of bully at Howard Johnson’s, liking nothing more than torturing his stable lass by dragging her around his box should she dare to enter.

How about Maylane?

Ah, I remember Maylane. Would always swerve coming out of the stalls and realised that was one nifty trick to try and get rid of his jockey – dumped Michael Roberts on more than one occasion, if memory serves me well.

I thought it was thing of beauty when they tried the old bugger’s hoofs at hurdling. Lined up a couple of times – yet never jumped one hurdle in public! He was far too smart to fall for that one.

Maylane vs Green Green Desert. Now that would have been interesting…

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

Bos, TB’s form comments are peppered with ‘ran on’ kept on’, ‘stayed on’ ‘rallied’ – hardly the life story of a horse with character problems. For some reason he simply cannot jump well enough to keep himself in contention.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.