The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

THIS WEEKS GOLFING ROADSHOW ROUND 2.

Home Forums General Sports THIS WEEKS GOLFING ROADSHOW ROUND 2.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

A good evening to my fellow Golfing Compadres Swallow Cottage & MikkyMo, think iv’e got it right this week mate :) also a warm welcome to to last weeks new entrants Crizzy, Grey Desire and Stable Star, apologies if i have left anybody out.

Well after the heroics of SC last week :D maybe we should leave the stage to Pete, but i think we are made of sterner stuff :) and as i have said before i class it as a team effort.

So enough of my wafflle, let’s get down to Businness.

Will begin this week with the SONY OPEN.

A good field for this me thinks, i see you can still get some fancy prices for Daniel Chopra but i think i will pass him over again.

Of the Fav’s i am going to take a chance and put them to room 101 as well, brave or daft only time will tell :) .

I am going to take a chance and have 4 E/W those being,

Sean O’ Hair, Boo Weekly, Kenny Perry and completing the voting here Vaughn Taylor, there were a few others but can’t bring myself to do them all.

We now move to the JOBURG OPEN, will be concentrating on two here, those being Raphael Jacquelin who just about sneaks into an E/W, the other being Anton Haig, as above there were a couple more but have decided against them.

Well that’s all for Now.

Whatever your picks as always BE LUCKY

Cheers.

Adrian.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

We are both on early this week Adrian :) The Sony Open is the first full tournament of this year’s pga tour and I’m going to bet again on Steve Stricker who came so close to winning last week. My other selections include Charles Howell III who last week showed a sign of a return to the good form he produced in the early season of the 2007 pga tour which included a 2nd at this event. I’ve also bet on Heath Slocum who looks to have a decent outside chance at odds of 80/1 and this course should suit his style of play.

Down in South Africa, I’ve not heard of about 75% of the players and I’ll just have the one bet on the Italian Edoardo Molinari and hope for the best :)

Good luck everybody

Pete

wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

Morning Pete, yes we are on early this week, my reasoning is that hopefully the early bird catches the worm, will try anything once :lol: .

Will be back later as the office requires my attention today, hopefully Crizzy can sort his problem out.

Cheers for now.

Adrian.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Greetings Early Birds :lol:

Two tournaments this week I see, so first to my favourite tour – The European Tour – where ‘proper’ golf is played. Tough courses, deep rough, wind and rain, slow greens, fast greens, sand storms, trees, real bunkers etc :lol:

I’m only messing, it’s just that sometimes I feel the PGA Tour is 90% played on ‘birdie buffet’ courses with the person who makes the most birdies/eagles winning, whereas on the European Tour, the courses are set up as such that it’s the player who makes the least mistakes that wins – anywhere, it could be an interesting debate for you extremely knowledgable guys.

I believe this is only the second year that the Joburg Open has been played and there isn’t much course form to go on. Is it me, or does Darren Clarke being favourite in some books show how weak this field is? Granted, Clarke would have been 4/1 in this field 3 years ago, but the poor chap has gone through all sorts of problems in recent years and his golf has suffered because of it. I would love nothing more than to see Darren Clarke back in the winners enclosure, but until he shows some really good form he is definitely one to swerve.

My first selection is Hennie Otto at 28/1. He is on home soil this week and hopefully last years 3rd in this event showed a liking for this course. Another golfer on home soil is the current South African Airways Open Champion James Kingston. I’m hoping that the 4 weeks break since that victory hasn’t took the shine of his game – if it hasn’t then 22/1 could be quite a decent bet in a field that is arguably weaker than the one he beat last month.

There’s a few 3-figure golfers that might have been worth a little investment each way, but as I’ve decided against punting them, I won’t put them up here. So it’s just the two selections for me in South Africa, Otto and Kingston – and as always, I have backed these each way.

And so to the Sony Open. Having said that the PGA Tour consists of ‘birdie buffet’ courses, I do admit that the courses played around this time of the year are usually played in some tough conditions (strong winds etc) and this should be no different in Hawaii this week.

My first selection is Aaron Baddeley at 22/1 who will have experienced similar conditions on many occasions during his upbringing in Australia – whether that will stand him in good stead 15 years later is another matter :lol: – on a positive not, he has finished runner up in this tournament previously.

I must give KJ Choi another chance at 25/1. This certainly isn’t a chasing money or sentimental selection, it’s based on the fact that after a very disappointing first two rounds last week, he shot two very good rounds at the weekend – hopefully a sign that his game is coming together – and believe me, if this tournament does turn into a ‘birdie buffet’ one, few will have more helpings of birdies than Mr Choi.

My final seletion will be Sean O’Hair. This guy has shown bags of promise in the past without really fulfilling it. There isn’t really anything to recommend him this week, other than the fact that his price is starting to expand for one of his ability, and 50/1 is quite tempting in a field that is nowhere near as strong as he will face as the season hots up.

So that’s it from me folks. Sorry for the long, boring post – I just never shut up once I start :lol:

I wish you all a very good week personally first of all, and a very good week punting wise also.

Mike

wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

Hi all, Firstly a cracking write up by Mike, is he after Chappers job me asks :wink:

On a downward side have just read the article at the bottom of page 83 in Todays RP and to my amazement the Golf Channel has Closed meaning that we will get Limited sightings of the Fillies until further notice :cry:.

One reason that i can put forward for this, going back to Mike’s request for some Golfers to Follow this year from Myself and Pete i mentioned at the end that one Lady who i will be following closely would be Linda Wessberg. maybe her Solicitor’s took exception to this :lol:.

Hopefully it won’t last for too long.

Cheers for now.

Adrian.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

On a downward side have just read the article at the bottom of page 83 in Todays RP and to my amazement the Golf Channel has Closed meaning that we will get Limited sightings of the Fillies until further notice :cry:.

Yes that is a pity especially as I am planning to bet more on the lpga this year and it can be a big help to watch the golfers play. Hope Sky grab the rights for it as they have limited golf on their channels now outside of the European tour

it’s just that sometimes I feel the PGA Tour is 90% played on ‘birdie buffet’ courses with the person who makes the most birdies/eagles winning, whereas on the European Tour, the courses are set up as such that it’s the player who makes the least mistakes that wins – anywhere, it could be an interesting debate for you extremely knowledgable guys.Mike

Firstly Mike I want to say that your write up was very good. Re the above quote, I will give you my opinion before the extremely knowledgable guys come on here and give theirs.

I much prefer the USA tour for betting purposes and for viewing but this is partly because a lot of the better players compete there and also I prefer the Setanta commentary team who cover the USA tour and I like to watch golf in the evenings.

I agree with your comments about the golf courses though and one punter once described the typical pga golf course as being a ‘ whack it, chip it and putt it ‘ golf course which I thought was quite accurate. I have heard some experts say that this is why the USA do not win the Ryder Cup nowadays. They are not used to playing on difficult courses which the europeans are because the golf courses in europe are more difficult which I agree with.

As you say the Sony Open is not one of those easy courses and could be quite difficult especially if the predicted strong winds blow on Sunday………could play havoc with the in running betting :)

Interesting you have chosen two of my favorite players in Baddeley and O’Hair. Both have a good future ahead of them in the sport of golf in my opinion. Sean O’hair has been in the gym over the winter to strengthen his upper body so I will be noting how he gets on during the early season.

Good luck

Pete

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Thanks Pete,

Nice assessment of the USA courses and you’re probably correct about the impact it has on the Ryder Cup teams – though I believe that Americans not playing well as a team and Americans being individualists to have an equal impact :lol:

I would say Sean O’Hair definitely needed some gym work :lol: . Sometimes this can have an adverse affect on your game – I really hope it hasn’t with this guy as he seems a nice chap and like you say, has a great future.

Mike

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

Blimey Chaps!! You don’t half know your golf. I am going to put my two pennies worth in. They are not tips :D They are just where my money is going this week :?
    Having said that, Copying some tips on hear last week nearly netted me some decent cash (Watney, Weir). Looked promising after 3 rounds.
    Anyway what about this lot?
    SONY
    Howell 28/1
    Stricker 11/1
    Mc Neill 125/1 EW

So.Corals 28/1 is now 20/1. How come? Did they know I was coming in with my £5 EW? :D

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

“MikkyMo73”:2zs39g4b wrote: I believe that Americans not playing well as a team and Americans being individualists to have an equal impact

You’re probably right about this Mike as the americans are renowned for being too individual and not good as team players.

By the way, I’d be interested to hear your selections for the challenge that you set last week……………….can’t believe you’re too shy to post them :)

quote=”crizzy”]
    Anyway what about this lot?
    SONY
    Howell 28/1
    Stricker 11/1
    Mc Neill 125/1 EW

Good luck crizzy with your bets on Howell III and Stricker but as I’ve also bet on them then their chances are slim. I like your selection of McNeill who won at the end of last season and finished in the top 20 at this course last season as you probably know. I’m surprised his odds are as big as 125’s which looks value imo so the best of luck with it……….beers are on you next week if he wins :)

Pete

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

Yes NcNeill has a good stroke ave (only four rounds though) and I believe he did well last year. 125/1 seems HUGE! Good luck every one! By the way well done to whoever got the one-two last week. I can’t get the one-two in a three runner horse race :(

Stable Star
    • Total Posts 10

3 ball betting
    Brandt Snedeker @ 11/8 im taking the youngster to beat Flesch and Calcavecchia,chancy as Snedeker started with a 74 last season in this comp,but im looking for a good round to beat the old horses.

[b:2vlgw2eb]Chad Campbell[[/b:2vlgw2eb]@ 5/4 is a fast starter in this tourney last three opening rounds in the sony have been 67-67-66 has hit 62 on this course,Bateman last round here was a 72 in 2005,Boo Weekley did start with a 69 last year could pose a threat,but he can be wild and needs everything to go right for him.

Daniel Chopra @ 13/8 looks a very nice bet against Zach Johnson who starts slowly and last played here in 2005 and posted a 76,Shaun Micheel is nothing more than an also ran on form although he did post a 69 in the first round last season.

Steve Stricker@ Evens looks the call against seniors tour player
    Fred Funk and Mark Wilson he has never played in this event,finished 38th in the fed ex cup rankings a doesnt look anything special.

Longshot – Jeff Sluman @ 100/30 looks very good value when you consider
    hes first round scores of 67 – 2005, 67 – 2006 and 66 2007 gives him every chance to win hes 3 ball, negatives are hes best days are behind him

In the singles ive opted for in the Sony are
    Charles Howell IIIand Vaughn Taylor just on the basis I backed these players last season,although my main bet is Angel Cabrera he
    looks like a man on a mission.

Good luck with your bets guys.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

:lol: Sorry Pete, I forgot.

In the Order of Merit I’ve backed Nick Dougherty each way at 33/1 (now best priced 25/1). He had a very good second half of the season and constantly finished in the top 10. His prominent finish in the US Open seemed to give him some much needed belief. I’m just hoping he can ‘push on’ and grab a place at least.

You won’t be surprised by 1) I’ve shirked the US Money List and instead gone for the US Money List without Woods, and 2) I’ve gone for KJ Choi at 25/1, again e/w. This guy really does know how to string birdies together when he is on form and I believe he has the ability to finish in the top 5 of the money list no problem.

My one to watch on the US Tour is a guy who is not so much a new face, but a guy who was touted as a wonder kid in his younger days and has been largely disappointing. His name is Charles Howel III, and like your friend O’Hair, he has apparantly been working very hard at his upper body strength and his game during the winter. Early season might be a decent time to catch him at decent odds. I’d just like to see him play well first though before I start putting him up in my weekly selections.

I very nearly cheated in picking my one to watch on the European Tour as I nearly put up Lee Westwood. I think Lee is about to hit the big time again and he will have a great 2008.

But for my main selection, I’m sorry, but it’s not very original as every man and his dog seems to have put him up – but it’s Rory Mcllory. This guy looks to have a huge talent and is spoken about in the highest regard amongst those in the know. Look for him to make his breakthrough in a low profile tournament. I do accept however, that he is usually way too short in the betting for what he has achieved so far.

All the best,

Mike

wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

Morning all, well not to bad a day yesterday, hopefully we can continue so that we are not looking to plan B for the weekend ,( not that i have one :lol: ).

Have a good day for me going to Huntingdon, given the Weather outside a swimsuit might be the order :lol: it is absolutely booting it down.

Cheers for now.

Adrian.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Good start for Mike’s pick K J Choi so maybe it’s his turn to win this week.
    Hope you have a good time at Huntingdon – I’ve always wanted to go there. I will be having an e/way bet on The Vicar in the 1:50 so I’m praying that he will win :)

Pete

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Yes I hope Choi can keep up there for a few reasons. First of all from a financial point of view this week, and secondly to get a good start in the order of merit (without Woods).

Annoyingly though, I activated Baddeley in our fantasy competition as he had an early tee-time – and even more annoyingly is my internet was down this morning so I missed the deadline to swap Baddeley with Choi :x

To be honest thought, the Sony Open is so bunched up with practically all the field still in with a chance – being 8 shots behind with 3 rounds to go is nothing to these guys.

Good luck at Huntingdon Adrian and good luck to everyone else with your bets.

Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.