The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Triple Crown

Home Forums Horse Racing The Triple Crown

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

Fantastic to read today that Jim Bolger is thinking in terms of the Triple Crown for Teofilo.

One of my greatest racing disappointments was when Nashwan by-passed the Leger when on the brink of immortality and, with fashions changing and the Arc de Triomphe now the preferred end of term target for top middle distance horses, I never thought I’d have a chance to see a winner in my lifetime. <br>  <br>Of course, there is a long winter ahead and a million things to go wrong but what a winter of dreams it’ll be at the Bolger yard and I, for one, will be dreaming with them.<br>

Lovely Lady
    • Total Posts 160

makes a pleasant change to the general run of things these days, but Cormack, Nashwan wouldn’t have won the Leger now would he?  only managed 3rd in the Prix Niel, clearly trained off – and you don’t remember Nijinsky and Oh So Sharp ?    yes we should include the filly here, it’s high time her exploits were better recognised in this sphere as it wasn’t so long ago.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

No, he may not have won LL, but how lovely it would have been to see him try.

Alas, I was too young to have enjoyed Nijinsky, but you are correct about Oh So Sharp. Her’s was a great achievement and does deserve recognition.

I stand corrected!!

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Refuse To Bend had the same path as his target after winning the Guineas, a half-brother to Media Puzzle that couldn’t fail to stay 12f+ on pedigree. Trouble was he didn’t and proved best at shorter. I think Teofilo is a very similar type and as a 20/1 backer for the Guineas am glad to hear that Bolger is making that race a priority.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

That’s a rather negative approach, TDK. :o  

Because the TC is over three different distances, it clearly tests a 3-y-o’s ability to quicken, to quicken and stay, and to stay, over a period of five months in their most important season.  

Because recent breeding trends dictate that stamina is less important than speed, the final attribute is less lustrous than it ought to be and thus, the Leger has been devalued.  

But it may only take one horse, (for example, Teofilo), to win the TC for the idea to come back into fashion. Trends are temporary. Tradition is permanent.

Lovely Lady
    • Total Posts 160

no probs. Corm  I agree it would’ve been good to see him go for it, like so many others who never get given the chance.  Motivator would be another that springs to mind in recent times.

I can’t help but get rankled though about this Triple Crown business as the filly is rarely mentioned.  It’s an aspect of this male dominated sport that needs correcting.     <br>I’m not being politically correct or anything, far from it, but it’s just as much a Triple  as Nijinsky’s.    Why shouldn’t it be? yet if you ask so many people they will always say Nijinsky was the last one.  <br>It discredits the filly, it’s connections and the race itself.

She was the last winner of it.  <br>Thanks for acknowledging..

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

And what a fantastic filly she was. Her 1000gns win was the first race I ever studied form for – and backed her.

She had all three attributes. And people remember her name, which they may not have done, (at least so clearly, if she went for the Arc instead of the Leger.

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

I’d love to see a horse do the Triple Crown and then retire unbeaten. I’d be brilliant for racing restore the romance to the sport.

It’s such a difficult thing to achieve to do it you have to be an all time great.

Taking on the best over a mile and a half can happen in the King George or if neccessary stay in training do the Arc the following year.

Beeswing
    • Total Posts 80

Totally disagree with you TDK. Winning an Arc doesnt even compare with winning the Triple Crown – and it would be just the shot in the arm the Leger needed.

Still think its a bit early to be suggesting he can do it, but hats off to the connections for considering it . They can but dream…

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

Have to agree that the St. Leger is under-valued severly.

After Motivator’s romp in the Derby last year, I really thought 5/1 was a great price for the Leger – unsuprisingly it was swerved.

And Sir Percy – his half-brother High Accolade came 2nd in the Leger, and he’s out of a Blakeney mare, impacting loads of stamina. But again, it was swerved (admittedly I’m not sure if this was due to him being jarred up at Epsom or not).

Youmzain was sent to the Niel in order to establish him as a sire, although I’m sure many would agree he would have come at least 2nd in the Leger.

And look last year – I was all ready to go to Donny for the Leger, but the moment I saw the final decs I didn’t bother. 6 runners. Would you find 6 runners these days in the Guineas or Derby?

I was so glad to hear Noseda’s comments a fortnight ago about saying that he thought a British Classic was worth 5 French Classics. At least someone is treating the Leger seriously.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

he thought a British Classic was worth 5 French Classics.

He’d give 5 Legers to win an Arc…

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

A Triple Crown is worth more than an Arc win, I think.

I suggest that if SP had won the Guineas, the stable would definitely had gone for the Leger. There is tradition there; Minster Son, Dunfermerline, amongst six wins in the Leger for Dick Hern, Tregoning’s mentor.

It was Sheikh Hamdan who overruled Dick Hern on Nashwan, btw. The trainer was desperate to win the TC and felt strongly that the horse could win both the Leger and the Arc.

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

TDK, can’t he do all four?

If the St Leger is that ‘easy’ to win, it should be an ideal prep race for the Arc.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

A Triple Crown is worth more than an Arc win, I think.

Some time ago it was, but not anymore. The Arc has surpassed the King George in my opinion as the most important all aged 1m4f race in the world.<br>

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Oh, taken alone, I agree with you, Aiden. The Arc is a superb race, probably the world’s best, though the Americans would, quite justifiably, argue with that.

Up till relatively recently, the King George, as EC states would be up there too.

But if you’re looking at the best horse, I would argue that a Triple Crown is a better benchmark of equine excellence than an Arc win. Judging by his remarks, Jim Bolger appears to believe so too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.