The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Racing Channel closes today?

Home Forums Archive Topics The Racing Channel closes today?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

I have heard the Racing Channel is closing after this afternoons output?  I have also heard that GGMedia are also about to close?  If this is correct what happens to coverage from the GG courses?

Surely what we need is all UK racing on ATR and a subscription to get rid of the adverts and the doomed pool betting.

It looks to me as if the media rights cock up from football is now having similar effect in racing and the rights are not worth anything like the fees charged.  I still cannot understand how the executives at ATR who prepared a business plan based on pool betting, especially via the Red Button can be so wrong.  It is so obvious these plans cannot work.

Keep it simple, racing fans will easily pay £20 per month for uninterupted racing with no frills, no adverts and rid us of most of the overated pundits.

W.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Without Irish racing, they were always going to be a spent force.  But i’m against a subscription for ATR.  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£20pm may not be a lot for some, but on top of the £35pm Sky already charge, it’s a substantial increase.  Now if they included it as part of the Sky Sports package that would be another matter.

Tony25
    • Total Posts 327

Wallace……I thought you where bringing bad news until i read it was the racing channel….who will miss it?

Has for ATR offering full coverage……..it would be logical and whilst you will happy to pay 20 quid a month for an uninterupted service i will pay 100 if they get rid of all the muppets.

ps….Offer doesn’t stand whilst we have no real racing!!

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

It’s official …<br>Afternoon coverage gone from tomorrow<br>PM (USA) coverage gone from 31/01/03

Can ATR please start showing the US coverage in 16:9 format now!<br>The 4:3 picture on a 16:9 screen is bloody annoying LOL<br>At least TRNI show it in 16:9 ratio.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Yep, we’ll call him ‘Scoop’ from now on LOL  Well done Wallace :)<br>I suspected TRC would go down the tubes as soon as I heard they had lost the Irish racing.  It unfortunately just had to be.  Unfortunate indeed, but market forces don’t have boundries.

The Judge
    • Total Posts 74

Happy New Year everyone.<br>  I have to say the a most telling remark came when The Racing Channel opened for business on Tuesday, when Dave Compton informed "us" (or should that be "me"?) that we "only had to wait 3 and a half hours" before the first live action from Greyville I think. <br>  The Racing Channel had made scary, perhaps cult viewing for some since Attheraces launched- it has had the look of a Marie Celeste for some time. Its only saving grace was its TRNI service, which was gaining popularity before Attheraces ruthlessly jumped on the American bandwagon. The loss of Irish racing was the final nail in the coffin. <br>  So what for the 10 courses who steered clear of ATR? Difficult to say, but one must hope that ATR keeps its head above water for the well being of the sport. Let’s also remember what a groundbreaking concept The Racing Channel was at the time- the forebearer to… better things? Time will tell. Meantime, R.I.P. T.R.C.

phunter
    • Total Posts 125

I think most folk seen it coming..hopefullty ATR will ask Dave Compton to join them as he is better than some of the presenters ATR have.

Daylight
    • Total Posts 369

Nice on Wallace as it’s always good to land a scoop for the forum!

What will this mean for GG.Com and will the 12 breakaway courses now panic by going begging to let them back in to the fold? Those 12 must be kicking themselves for choosing the betamax as I read there races will only be shown on SIS now in the country.

THE ROOK
    • Total Posts 21

I’m very sad its going, though hardly surprised.

A lot of the people who didnt susbscribe didnt see the channel at its peak, when it took to the time to concentrate on the Athletes – horses and riders, and trainers rather than ATR which in my view is far too punter biased (I mean by this betting)

I miss the stable tour features, the reviews which included head on replays (which were very useful), and they can take credit for introducing UK punters to point to pointing,  US racing and South African to "stay at home" or less abled punters like myself.

I like ATR, however whenever I watch it I do get he impression that if they had the choice they’d concentrate on whatever gained them the most revenue, rather than focusing on the sport as a whole –  Sometimes  I feel they need reminding that the stars of the future could be racing in points and hunter chases but the "ordinary punter" won’t even know because these horses wont even get a mention…. For a while they did on The Racing Channel.

<br>P.S.   If ATR is really interested in broadening its appeal, they should consider employing Dave Compton, even if its to cover the US angle  <br>

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Quote: "If ATR is really interested in broadening its appeal, they should consider employing Dave Compton, even if its to cover the US angle"  <br>———————————————————

"Now, TRNi is going into partnership with Attheraces, and will be responsible for its US coverage from February 1, using the data and graphics presentation so far seen on the Racing Channel. <br>    <br>   Hogwood said: “Attheraces approached us and we’re setting up a joint venture, in which wewill handle the signals and transmission, while Attheraces does the production. We will also provide the gateway to co-mingle bets into the pools in America.â€ÂÂ

RichK
    Participant
    • Total Posts 201

Rook – I’d forgotten about the Point to Point on TRC. I remember watching one of their presenters at Tweseldown – it was amazing, he was doing all his work on his own, with just an automatic camera pointing at him!

The end at about 3pm today was quite sad really, I felt very sorry for the people there. Richard Pitman was wibbling away as usual, and a few minutes from the end he inexplicably put a wig on.

At the end he whipped the wig off, said "goodbye" and the screen cut to black, and then a caption saying "The Racing Channel has Ceased Broadcasting" came up, together with some moody classical music. A real shame.<br>

RichK
    Participant
    • Total Posts 201

I thought it would take off too. I much prefer point-to-point to attending a stuffy regular NH meeting. I bet the pointing purists loathed the idea of television sticking their beaks in though.

Monkey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

Wouldn’t you rather be sussing out the Irish horses for Cheltenham over the next few Sundays?

The Judge
    • Total Posts 74

What will happen in the summertime, what will get shunted- the American or dare I say it, the evening racing?<br>  The "Racing Review" segments on Attheraces, particularly over the jumps, seem to be getting thinner and thinner, more so now the American racing has kicked off.<br>  And what has happened to the coloured caps during the Lunchtime races? Such a simple yet effective idea out with the washing already.

RichK
    Participant
    • Total Posts 201

Hi Judge,

I share your concern about the UK coverage.

I hated the idea of single coloured caps, for the following reasons:

1) it might work when there are always six runners, ie in dog racing, but I don’t think it helps much in horse racing, where there could be loads of runners, and there’s no way I can remember the cap colour for (say) number 13.

2) I don’t find it very easy to identify caps on TV anyway; it is more the combination of all the colours, plus the colour of the horse (except for Chestnuts of course), and the horse’s headgear.

3) It is moving dangerously towards the idea of uniform colours for all numbered horses; "come on the 4 horse"!

4) It’s just plain dumbing down.

5) If I were an owner who had carefully chosen a really nice set of silks (like Daylight has!), I’d be bloody annoyed when a red and green striped cap gets stuck on the top of it, just to help some "novice punters" who are supposed to be watching on channel 4, but aren’t because neighbours is on BBC 1 (probably).<br>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.