The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Pope's a Protestant

Home Forums Lounge The Pope's a Protestant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Andrew HughesAndrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Have you ever noticed how cats have five legs? It was whilst I was picking my nose on the top deck of a number 17 bus that I watched a five-legged moggy chasing a purple marshmallow hippo down a sidestreet. Nowadays, our streets are crawling with flourescent hippos and gingerbread elephants, but no-one ever mentions them. And this got me thinking. What other obvious patterns were people missing and how could I use this to fill a weekly column?

It was around the time they were choosing a new Pope. Having watched some of the television coverage, I started to think about Il Padre. Everyone says he’s a Catholic. Wherever you go, that’s what people always say, it’s the perceived wisdom. But I didn’t get where I am today by going along with perceived wisdom. Or wisdom of any kind. I was sure there was an angle here and I set about investigating. My enquiries at my local church met with blank stares. A visit to a mosque proved similarly unproductive.

So I tried a different tack. I fired up my copy of Raceform Interactive. Sadly, there was almost a complete lack of ecumenical data. Undaunted, I went on to the Vatican homepage. I was delighted to find they had an archive containing every single speech made by every Pope since the Reformation. I set to work, using a Latin translation software package I had recently aquired.

Seven months later, what do you think I had found? I was astonished to discover that not once in all that five hundred years or so had any Pope actually uttered the words, ‘I am a Catholic’. I was so surprised, I ran the search again. Another seven months went by with the same result. I was onto something. But how to use it?

Well, I suggest you follow my usual tactic of backing the next three Popes to announce that they are Protestants. A quick call to Corals established the rather generous price of 33-1 for this bet. That buys a lot of Lithium!

<br>

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

… so long as you maintain your enthusistic mindlessly optimistic view on everything you write, I’m sure you’ll be get years out of it.<br>:biggrin:

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Should this not be in the lounge?

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

No

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

We are amused, Aranalde.

You are commanded to bring more revelations to the court, to cheer us on cold and wet December days.

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Top stuff sir.

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

You’re supposed to finish with a reference to the start of the piece!

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Surley you must also have a straight forecast!

Disclosure Protocol [ON]

Andrew HughesAndrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Next week’s article will exploit the public ignorance over the existence of lavatories in the woods and the fact that bears are actually toilet trained at birth.

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

All

What you need is a copy of my new e-book:

THE PAPAL BETTING CODE: <br>Proof of winning foreknowledge of the next Pontiff secretly hidden inside bookmakers’ betting odds <br>by Alan Diddley <br>ISBN 1-8986-2702-9 <br>Published November 2006 <br>http://www.thepapalbettingcode.co.uk

"It certainly had me scuttling around Paris in a Smart Car" – Dan Brown

"I’m going to bounce up and down on my spring" – Clodagh Rogers

Mike

Kevin
    • Total Posts 295

PMSL Aranalde/Mike :giggle:

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

TDK, after reading todays Weekender article and pages 1-3 of the PDF, I am now convinced that "Mr Ridley" is actually Mr Nick "Maudlin" Mordin posting under a nom de plume randomly selected from the Yellow Pages.

The evidence is compelling.

Funny stuff guys;:biggrin:

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Pleasing work.

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6940

LMAO

Post of the Week, Aranalde, and betlarge’s reply isn’t too far behind, either!

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.