The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The most under-rated horse of all time

Home Forums Horse Racing The most under-rated horse of all time

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

Now, I know that this question will elicit many different responses (anyone who knows what they’re talking about will find it almost impossible to answer), but I’d like to ask the TRF "cognoscenti" if they can think of any horse which has been as under-appreciated by the racing media as has Voy Por Ustedes.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Would that have anything to do with his connections?

Robert Ogden and his manager Barry Simpson don’t seem that popular with the press.

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I agree wholeheartedly with the thrust of the first post; VPU is an absolute superstar who somehow doesn’t register on the superstar radar. Never mind ~ those who appreciate him know better.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I agree wholeheartedly with the thrust of the first post; VPU is an absolute superstar who somehow doesn’t register on the superstar radar. Never mind ~ those who appreciate him know better.

Totally agree – but it looks as though our "secret" is finally out – hopefully he will now get the wider recognition he deserves.

GhostofTheFellow
    • Total Posts 410

THE FELLOW-

1994 Gold Cup winner

1991 1992 King George winner

Bagful of wins in France and numerouse place money in grade 1’s in uk all that with in my opinion a second rate jockey Mr Kondrat on his back!!!

WHAT A HORSE

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Not wishing to rain on anyone’s parade, but Voy Por Ustedes – though undoubtedly a very good racehorse – is by no stretch of the imagination a superstar.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9229

The Fellow is a good shout. VPU is a good horse but Master Minded kind of put him into context.

Spitfire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 184

Yes The Fellow is an excellent choice and I shan’t try to top it. Wasn’t he also beaten a short head in in two other Gold Cups?

GhostofTheFellow
    • Total Posts 410

Thats right spitfire..i bet that horse blind everytime the horse ran in the Uk,In my opinion he was a Gold Cup champ waiting to happen..lump in the thraot stuff when he did!!!

He was such a tough horse,think he wore blinkers the year he one it.

Another horse who was pure class but had a tragic end was STRONG PROMISE sheer class,jumped and traveled bet him in the Gold cup and was counting my money 100 yards from the line!!!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

"Strong Promise" was one of the most handsome chasers i have ever seen,so too was "Superior finish"! On the flat "Chief Singer" was something else also! so too was "Diktat"!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

"Strong Promise" was one of the most handsome chasers i have ever seen,so too was "Superior finish"! On the flat "Chief Singer" was something else also! so too was "Diktat"!

You’re a mug for a pretty horse, aren’t you GW? :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

You’re a mug for a pretty horse, aren’t you GW? :D

I LOVE my horses Rory, but i wouldn"t say No to "Jasmine Harmon"
    she is Oh so Sharp!

The Dice Man
    • Total Posts 85

I hope VPU continues to be as underrated as he is, he has been one of my most profitable horses for the last few seasons!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    • Total Posts 54

I hope VPU continues to be as underrated as he is, he has been one of my most profitable horses for the last few seasons!

Really? I don’t doubt you’re telling the truth, but he seems to have lost a LOT over the last few years. And more often than not at fairly short prices (well, not backable e/w anyway). I can think of many, many horses who would’ve been more profitable to follow over the last few years

• Total Posts 1688

The obvious: Sham. One of the fastest Kentucky Derby runners in history but overlooked since he was second fiddle to "Big Red".

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Sakhee and Giant’s Causeway always seem to be a little hard done by to me.

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

VPU has won an Arkle a QMCC and is now favourite for the Ryanair.

His Arkle win and Queen Mother wins however were overshadowd by the fact Kauto Star put him firmly in his palce in the Tingle Creek between the two races. There is also the fact that the favourite for the Queen Mother, Well Chief fell and the horses who finished 2nd and 3rd were moderate and finished only just behind. I would say he’s been fairly lucky to be where he was at the time.

Combine that to the fact VPU has lost half the chases he has ran in and it’s understandable why he is not that highly regarded.

Yesterday the fact is he did what ou would expect him to do. He was by far the highest rated horse in the race.

Again he was put in his place when Kauto Star beat him as he liked in the King George.

It could be he is a better horse at 2m4f plus which would be great but unless he wins the Ryanair with his head in his chest I doubt if there will be a very big corner laid out for him in the Hall of Fame. Nice horse though and great to watch when he’s on song.

I would go with See You Then as the most underated NH of recent times.
    If he’d been blessed with 4 good legs he would have no doubt won even more races than he did. How on earth Nicky Henderson managed to get a horse who was basically cripple to the CH 3 times and win it 3 times is beyond belief.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.