The most shocking ride of the meeting goes to…………..

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2015 The most shocking ride of the meeting goes to…………..

This topic contains 28 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Shack1 Shack1 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    grey dolphin
    grey dolphin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 653

Carberry had just about everything he rode this week right out the back. See also Monbeg Dude and Run Ructions Run.

The Ante-Post King
    The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8707

We all tend to notice poor rides when its our own money on and I’m no different.Paul Carberry rode Eastlake badly from the off,had ‘Next Sensation’ came back to the field we would be applauding Paul but I’m afraid why he feels the need to be detached last when ‘Scudamores’ horse was up front from the off only emphasises how you just cant give that sort of ground away.Of course ride of the week imo goes to AP on Uxizandre the most over-priced horse of the week at 20/1.

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

I don’t think Eastlake would have won that race no matter what jockey was on board. I would nominate Sam Twiston-Davies for the ride on The New One (tried to keep tabs on the favourite instead of riding his mount to the best of his abilities) and subsequently costing it a place or two, and that’s the opinion of someone who won a lot of money on Faugheen.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26219

I don’t think Eastlake would have won that race no matter what jockey was on board. I would nominate Sam Twiston-Davies for the ride on The New One (tried to keep tabs on the favourite instead of riding his mount to the best of his abilities) and subsequently costing it a place or two, and that’s the opinion of someone who won a lot of money on Faugheen.

So what you are saying Charles is… You believe a horse generally considered outpaced when pace increased off a truer run race last year – should’ve been further behind off a slower pace dictated by a better horse this time around. :unsure: Why?

Had The New One been initially ridden further back this week – then there’s no doubt in my mind he’d have been beaten a lot further. imo TNO just was not at his best, which is not that surprising considering well below form when winning at Haydock.

Not as if Sam/TNO had not run well with similar tactics before – tracked pace in every race this season and almost beat My Tent Or Yours in Christmas Hurdle last season. If anything Sam should have pressed Faugheen more strongly, to encourage Ruby/Faugheen to go a faster; so the change in speed when it did happen would not have been so great (with TNO less outpaced).

value is everything
    grey dolphin
    grey dolphin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 653

To my mind Twister is a very streaky trainer and by and large his horses generally seem to have been running below their best of late.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

It think the Twiston-Davies stable just generally had a meeting to forget Charles.

They had nine runners and they ran:-

5th, 6th, 6th, 7th, 22nd, 11th, U, PU, 11th

The New One’s 8 and 3/4 length defeat was the closest any of their runners managed.

The New One competed in races in the build up to the festival where he started 2/11, 1/3, 4/7 and 1/6. Looking through his eleven starts, he has lost on the three occasions where he wasn’t odds on. It just doesn’t seem coincidental that he doesn’t win when he’s up against better horses.

The way the horse jumps at some of his flights and his tendency to hang suggests to me that he may have a physical problem. Maybe he can get away with it to some extent when he is outclassing lesser horses and it becomes more of a problem for him at Championship level.

I suspect the horse may be quite a difficult ride and, for me, he wouldn’t have won this year regardless of how he was ridden. He is 20/1 for next year’s Champion Hurdle and that seems to sum up the situation the team find themselves in.

Interestingly, Faugheen was a generous looking 2/1 for next year’s race for a fair while in the aftermath of his win but varies from 6/4 down to Evens now.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

grey dolphin
    grey dolphin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 653

Obvious place for TNO to go next year is stayers

strawbear
    Participant
    • Total Posts 216

For all the problem TNO may or may not have, he’s still bagged close on 210k in prize money this season. Cheltenham does not have to be the be all and all. If i was the owner i’d be pretty happy with that.

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

I knew I’d be in for trouble with my comment but then the great thing is that everyone has different opinions. All I know is that as I was cheering home Ruby on Faugheen the person next to me was having a right old dig at Silly Twiston-Davies for the ride and at the time I tended to agree with him. I think if The New One was further of the pace he’d of finished much closer. But to be honest the horse simply isn’t good enough to win a Champion Hurdle, never was and never will be. He needs further and is beaten as soon as the pace quickens in these championship races. He’s the new Oscar Whiskey in my opinion in that he’s seen to best effect between 2 and 3 miles. 2 miles is too short and I don’t think he’ll stay 3 so the obvious plan is to train him for all the 2 and a half mile races (Aintree) but where’s the glory in that? The New One ran how I expected him to and as for the deluded few who backed him big time? Well, I was telling a lot of people a lot of I told you so’s.

And I don’t think I backed a single Nigel Twiston-Davies horse all week. Lucky eh?

Train The New One to win a World Hurdle next season. If he comes up short then just accept it and spend the next couple of seasons mopping up Relkeel and Aintree Hurdles.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

For all the problem TNO may or may not have, he’s still bagged close on 210k in prize money this season. Cheltenham does not have to be the be all and all. If i was the owner i’d be pretty happy with that.

Oh No, the money’s nothing in this equation.

Cheltenham Champion Hurdle Winner 2015 is forever. Money is temporary

Cheltenham is where legends are born and then live on in the memory.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Shack1
    Shack1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 513

Katie Walsh – Champagne James – Kim Muir. Yes, talking through my pocket, on decent money at 25/1 EW, backed down to 4s FAV and she didn’t pass a horse on the first circuit laying way out of her ground. No chance of pegging back the leaders, her ran on steadily never nearer. Shocking ride. Not saying he’d have won, but, hell, he was never given an earthly of a chance and for such a huge gamble that was rancid.

grey dolphin
    grey dolphin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 653

Can’t disagree with that one. At the end of a day in which the benefits of lying close to the pace had been amply demonstrated, this one was covered up right out the back. Particularly risky in an amateur’s race that typically has it’s fair share of incident.

What drove the gamble though? I reckon it’s pretty easy for the bookies to set the snowball rolling and hope it gathers momentum!

yeats
    yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2896

Easy one this. If possible I like to go for a ride that probably made the difference between victory and defeat and how appropriate, in view of the lengthy bans he picked up during the week that it should be Bryan Cooper on No More Heroes.

Shack1
    Shack1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 513

Easy one this. If possible I like to go for a ride that probably made the difference between victory and defeat and how appropriate, in view of the lengthy bans he picked up during the week that it should be Bryan Cooper on No More Heroes.

Yes, Cooper made a right Horlicks of this one. I bet Russell had a wry smile to himself whilst O’Leary was having to cool his jets ;-)

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.