The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Killing – BBC4 Saturday night

Home Forums Lounge The Killing – BBC4 Saturday night

Viewing 7 posts - 52 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Recently watched the second of the Italian detective 2-parter, Inspector Montalbano, Matron and Moehat, and the difference between it and the Scandinavian detective series is hilarious.

Right at the end of this one, Montalbano pretending to be a hitman quietly breaks into this sinister doctor’s house and points a gun at him, hoping to get information from him he couldn’t have got in a legal way; when lo and behold, his subordinates burst into the room and pretend to arrest him.

When he asked why they had taken it upon themselves to do that, his young side-kick said words to the effect that they knew what he was up to, and took it sorely amiss that he didn’t take them into his confidence!!! Absolutely hilarious. Anything but the "Yes, Guv, no Guv, three bags full, Guv," either, that we get here. And Montalbano didn’t seem to take that amiss at all, either! Priceless!

My wife found the first couple of instalments of The Killings too bleak, but I think the thing she probably missed (but not in Wallander) was characters among the police she could empathize with, relate to. Wallander’s characters ARE characters, not least Wallander, himself.

My favourite line was when Wallander expressed amazement that someone could do such and such a crime – relating to illegal immigration – I think a batch of them died in transit from cold or suffocation – and mad Stefan blurted out, "He’s a professional ‘f’ing criminal for ***’s sake!"

And then there was the time when the new girl put them all on the right track when they were ‘up a gum tree’, patiently explaining certain common-sense aspects they had overlooked.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6853

I must admit I did watch "Inspector Montalbano" as well and the only thing I liked about it was the inspector’s flat on the coast!

"The Killing" did take a few episodes for me to really get engrossed – and, to feel empathy with the characters.

Regards
    :cool:

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

I expect you’re right. I could have got into it. I thought the ending of the second episode was very tense and gripping – when the boss woman was sitting in her car, taking out what looked like an uzi from its cover, and you saw a shadowy figure, presumably of matey loping past the rear window. Though I can’t imagine them using uzis. Must have been my imagination.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

I dont watch a lot of Tv and most of the Uk output is desperate (excpet for some one off dramas on BBC 4). Martin Clunes or professional northerner Christopher eccleson with stephen fry narrating would be the BBC’s idea of gripping

But The Killing is different class. Like The wire, its taken drama to a different level. There isnt a wasted line. the acting is superb and the characters multidimensional with relationships superbly explored.

Faultless and gripping

yorkiedips
    • Total Posts 95

Hi all

Just wandered if anyone else has ben watching the Killing II that started last week. Only 10 episodes and 4 in already.

Must say I’m hooked. More engrossing that American version of series 1 but still not seen original Danish version of said Series.

Hope to read some of other peoples thoughts

yorkiedips

Participant
    • Total Posts 6853

Oh, yes!

This series is at a slightly faster pace than the original but, still thoroughly enjoyable: highlight, of the week for me!

We can look forward to "series 3" next year as well!

You can purchase the original series on DVD.

Regards
    :cool:

RedGrumbler
    • Total Posts 15

I think it’s great that a subtitled series is being shown on British television, we should have more of this, it is not just films, but there are some great European series that we never get to see because they are not in English.

Agreed! There are so many great films and series that come out of Europe only for us to miss them because they are not in English.

It’s really nice to watch something that is shot in a different style to the usual American dross that gets pumped into our TV sets.

Really great show the Killing! Looking forward to some more!

Viewing 7 posts - 52 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.