The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Jockeygate Tapes

Home Forums Horse Racing The Jockeygate Tapes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

It seems the Racing Post will name the two jockeys caught on tape discussing race fixing and run a story tomorrow.  This may be a very quick case to move along with suspensions by the end of the week.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2152

newswire just picked up this from Colin MacKenzie in tomorrow’s Daily Mail:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Leading young jockey Philip Makin has admitted that he is one of two riders under investigation in the latest scandal to hit racing.

Together with fellow northern jockey Lee Enstone, he is alleged to be involved in trying to set up a betting exchange account, through a driver, on which to lay horses to lose. Both riders deny the claim.

This follows a report in a Sunday tabloid in which professional tipster Kevin ‘The Watchman’ McDonnell, who claims to have 3,000 clients, said he had taped a conversation with the driver of one of the jockeys who wanted to open an account to lay horses to lose on their behalf.

McDonnell, who has since passed the tape recordings to the Horseracing Regulatory Authority to be examined, has expressed his horror that such things should happen.

<br><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a … ge_id=1967

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

Wit, <br>Thanks for that, you are a star!

<br>Does anyone think jockeys are being persecuted, because you can get more in a cell?:o

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

This should shock racing fans but now, its like a normal racing week.

A friend of mine in America told me tonight that a small time jockey that rides her horses has just been banned for suspected race fixing and was all shocked…….. we all know jockeys do it over here, its just finding out which ones do and which ones don’t

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

The story is now on the RP website.<br>Needless to say Makin denies any knowledge.<br>As has been said ,corruption allegations are a weekly event in racing.<br>This one looks like it could be resolved expeditiously one way or the other.

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

I think it is quite funny that the Watchman has reported this alleged incident, he is coming over all moralistic in the RP today " I get paid for tipping winners and for horses to be stopped is, to me, unbelievable "<br>The same gentleman has horses in training with Brian Ellison along with fellow tipsters Rix and Carr

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4562

BC

Spot on!

The passage,

"McDonnell, who has since passed the tape recordings to the Horseracing Regulatory Authority to be examined, has expressed his horror that such things should happen."

made me think, ‘yeah, yeah, I’m sure you were horrified!’

Rob

(Edited by robnorth at 2:06 pm on Feb. 1, 2007)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

The fact that the tapes were passed to a tabloid newspaper before they made it to the HRA tells you all you need to know about the morality crusade the tipster was on.

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

Wise man once say: you don’t need brains to be a jockey – you just need to be short!

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

…and preferably not 25st…..;)

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

Not that much to do with the lack of brains in a jockey, Mounty; more to do with the lack of integrity that’s been allowed to fester within the racing industry. Plus greed.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Lack of integrity + greed + the belief that they won’t get caught = lack of brains   QED!!;)

Colin

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

Seabird, for me the result of your equation = cockiness and complacency. Some members within the racing community must be wondering if the HRA is serious or whether ‘normal’ practises can continue. Time will tell.

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

Not defending the idiocy of these boys, but surely a tape would not be accepted as sole evidence, only as an indicator. The tape "evidence" would need supporting.

God, consider some of the things we all have discussed at one time or another that could easily be misconstrued when listened to via a tape.<br>Also, besides being very easily edited, if the jockeys in question had partaken in drink, any diatribe should be instantly ignored !1;)

I have said, in drink, " Someone should shoot that b*st*rd so and so…..",<br>Surely this cannot be forwarded to The Murder Squad!!

Especially if I hadn’t shot him yet…:cheesy:

regards,

doyley

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I think if you said to a known hitman "I’d like so and so killed; here’s a large wad of used notes", then you might just be on a charge of conspiracy to murder.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.