The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Derby 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Derby 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Trendsman
    • Total Posts 206

i will stick to Masterofthehorse as it will be staying on, for value this is the one for me

• Total Posts 203

I think this race will be very different to that of the Epsom Derby. It will be run to suit Fame And Glory.

Whether Sea The Stars withdraws or not, I shall be on Fame. I think the ground will be to his liking, the more testing pace will play to his stamina. I am hoping Seamie rides him though as I think he got a real tune out of the horse in the Derrinstown and he now knows what to do differently after the derby.

My free bet from winning the ascot competition is certainly going on him to win if I can get 7/2 or 4/1!

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

When Velasquez got off henrythenavigator at the BC he said if he had ridden the horse without instructions he would have won the race. Now Jeamie Henderson said if he rode Fame and Glory again (he rode him at Leopardstawn)he would ride him differently and maybe beat Sea the Stars. Perhaps top class jockeys can figure out a three y.o. during a mile race?A well known jockey once told me that it takes two or three races to figure out a chaser but a three year old flat horse is relatively easy to figure out. Maybe it depends on how smart the jockey is.Since you only get one chance to ride a Derby winner you might need the best jockey available to win such races and not loyalty to certain work riders.From what I saw at Ascot it seems a shame to leave out certain French jockeys when looking for Group One jockeys.They certainly have proven their mettle at the BC over many years.I just don’t believe that Heffernan or O’Donoghue are world class jockeys comparable to the best of French jockeys. Why did they not take over at Ascot when Murtagh was not available? Purely theoretically but if Kinane was not available to ride Sea the Stars in a classic would his trainer call upon either of those jockeys. I don’t think so.

• Total Posts 1415

I’m amazed it took till after the Derby for Heffernan to realise you can’t try and do a Guineas winner for speed in a slowly run race. Its commonsense how much working out does it take? I’m not a great jockey basher but sometimes they amaze me they really do. He threw away any chance he had of winning the race the moment he decided he was going to come from behind Sea The Stars (under orders or otherwise).

The Curragh is not as stiff a track as Epsom over 12 furlongs (I know some will disagree but look at their average times) so unless its soft ground and a franetic gallop Fame And Glory will struggle to beat Sea The Stars on Sunday.

• Total Posts 1415

Duplicate post again :roll:

dostoy
    • Total Posts 23

I was amazed to see Heffernan (who I don’t rate at all) ride Fame and Glory as surely Soumillion would have been much better.

I expect at least one pacemaker on sunday as well as Golden Sword to set up the race for both Fame and Glory and Masterofthehorse with both of them sitting in front of Sea the Stars.

I very much want a AOB win with any horse and expect Fame and Glory to be much better with Murtagh on board as opposed to Heffernan.

Come on Aidan !!!!!

• Total Posts 203

I’m amazed it took till after the Derby for Heffernan to realise you can’t try and do a Guineas winner for speed in a slowly run race. Its commonsense how much working out does it take? I’m not a great jockey basher but sometimes they amaze me they really do. He threw away any chance he had of winning the race the moment he decided he was going to come from behind Sea The Stars (under orders or otherwise).

The Curragh is not as stiff a track as Epsom over 12 furlongs (I know some will disagree but look at their average times) so unless its soft ground and a franetic gallop Fame And Glory will struggle to beat Sea The Stars on Sunday.

If that is to do with my post I apologise I wasn’t clear enough. I meant that Ireland has a lot more rain than Surrey in general and that is why it is more of a stiffer track.

• Total Posts 1415

If that is to do with my post I apologise I wasn’t clear enough. I meant that Ireland has a lot more rain than Surrey in general and that is why it is more of a stiffer track.

I was just commenting generally Young Mick I wasn’t refering directly to your post.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Murtagh to ride Fame And Glory according to O’Brien.

• Total Posts 2184

Glorious day in Kildare today with a nice breeze. The ground should be drying out nicely down the road on the Curragh. Should be perfect for Sea The Stars unless the heavens open over the next few days.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

4/6 Sea the Stars looks unbackable.

You would have to think he would get the trip even with a strong pace but there is a huge difference between Epsom and the Curragh to think about as well. I certainly wouldn’t be risking my cash at that price.

Golden Sword at 16/1 ew could just sneak a place if setting a strong pace.

• Total Posts 1537

I’ve opted for Fame and Glory because i think it will be pissin down at the weekend. Apologies for the lack of technical analysis. i haven’t had a proper look at the card with regards to outsiders, but Recharge at 25s looks reasonable.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7872

Fame and Glory for me.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Surprised no one mentions Gan Amhras. He’s run a cracker in the 2000guineas for a horse who needs much further but no one seems up for a little bit of forgiveness. His Derby run was too bad to be true and if coming back to his best surely must have a good chance of a place?.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

4/6 Sea the Stars looks unbackable.

Surely six thousand to four is nothing to a man of your means, Fist ? :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

colinf
    • Total Posts 144

12 mml overnight now Good – G/S in the straight.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

The Curragh is now soft on the round course, sunny weekend.

Sea The Stars is very likely to miss the race accoring to Oxx.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.