The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Hobbs chasers

Home Forums Horse Racing The Hobbs chasers

Viewing 4 posts - 18 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

The Times reports today that Fingal Bay is out for the season with a tendon injury, although Phillip Hobbs insists that there is "no relation at all" between this news and the strange jumping performance at Exeter.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Shame to hear about Fingal Bay. Here’s hoping he won’t be another one constantly on the sidelines and that he can someday reach his potential.

del_boy
    • Total Posts 386

Johnson is very strong in a finish, but it’s the previous few miles that bother me !

I think Johnson’s chase stats are bolstered by riding for Tim Vaughan in non competitive races.

Over fences, Johnson is on 18% for Hobbs. Geraghty on 31% for Henderson, Walsh 27% for Nicholls.

Henderson and Nicholls have better horses Mark, so Ruby and Barry will have a better strike rate than Richard. It is the chase stat to hurdles that should tell the story. Was a time, after coming back from a bad fall/injury Johnson had a worse SR over fences than hurdles, which suggested wasn’t as good at fences. However, that’s changed and there’s little or no difference now; with a 5 year record 1% higher over

fences

than hurdles. Ruby Walsh is 2% better over

hurdles

than his fences SR; Barry Geraghty 2% better over

fences

than hurdles.

Geraghty and Walsh are better jockeys. It’s not just about the horses. Geraghty and AP are better jockeys than Mick Fitz, so Hendersons stats and prize money have improved in recent seasons.
    ( Still wish he’d send more horses over staying trips )

This is why it pisses me off when reporters say that a jockey has missed a win whilst being banned because the horse he would have ridden won under another jockey. The banned jockey might have rode a different race and lost.

disagree with geraghty being a better jockey than mick fitzgerald. in his prime, i would have fitzgerald any day. geraghty is blessed with the quality of horses he rides now. most jockeys would have a similar strike rate riding for henderson today.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

" Most jockeys "

Nah. Most jockeys would have fallen or given up on Riverside Theatre at Cheltenham.

Geraghty is a brilliant jockey.

Viewing 4 posts - 18 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.