The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The final whip thread?

Home Forums Horse Racing The final whip thread?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

Have just come in and am catching up but can find no evidence of any whip bans today, despite one of the ‘worst’ six racing on easy ground – Carlisle.

2.6 Racecourse: Six racecourses had
    a significantly high rate of whip
    offences to performances – Kelso,
    Hexham, Carlisle, Cheltenham,
    Aintree and Hamilton. Each of these
    has characteristics that could at
    least partly explain this high rate

In the extended 3m chase, 11 finished, 1 UR, 4 PU. I was restricted to the view of RUK cameras but saw no evidence, in that race, of horses needing to be driven to jump by anything other than a legal slap down the shoulder, hands-on-reins.

What I did notice was that no rider ‘wasted’ any strokes. Seeing a horse getting a couple of backhanders after a fencing error has been a fairly common sight (and probably a pointless exercise). I think such chastisement will be rare from now on.

So it is a bit early to draw definite conclusions but my instinct, expressed on other posts in the past 24 hours, that jockeys are quickly adjusting suffered no setbacks today.

Forecast NH carnage on stiff tracks/soft ground might not arrive at all and I hope the doomsayers will not be disappointed.

Again, I haven’t seen all coverage/comment on Carlisle but can, so far, see no complaints about lack of competitiveness or excitement.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Signs look good for NH racing re- whip compliance.

Which is great news for UK racing.

PompetePompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Steeps, may you please refain from posting actual facts.

The ‘End of the Worlders’ will be jumping up and down on their hats, screaming and screaming until they are sick and on their knees praying for a jockeys’ strike.

Let us show them some compassion.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

Steeps, may you please refain from posting actual facts.

The ‘End of the Worlders’ will be jumping up and down on their hats, screaming and screaming until they are sick and on their knees praying for a jockeys’ strike.

Let us show them some compassion.

:D Pinza will be along directly . . .

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Facts. Yes. If you insist. Here’s the

5 DAY WHIP BAN

for John Winston at Huntingdon this afternoon:

The Stewards held an enquiry into the use of the whip by John Winston, the rider of PILLAR OF HERCULES (IRE), placed second, from the last hurdle. Having heard his evidence and viewed recordings of the race, they found him in breach of Schedule (B)6 Part 2 in that he had not given his mount time to respond. As the offence warranted a suspension at the upper level, the Stewards suspended Winston for 5 days as follows: Sunday 13, Monday 14, Tuesday 15, Wednesday 16 and Thursday 17 November 2011.

PompetePompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Pinza, as you are keen to talk about facts, wouldn’t he have been called in under the old rules?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

Facts. Yes. If you insist. Here’s the

5 DAY WHIP BAN

for John Winston at Huntingdon this afternoon:

The Stewards held an enquiry into the use of the whip by John Winston, the rider of PILLAR OF HERCULES (IRE), placed second, from the last hurdle. Having heard his evidence and viewed recordings of the race, they found him in breach of Schedule (B)6 Part 2 in that he had not given his mount time to respond. As the offence warranted a suspension at the upper level, the Stewards suspended Winston for 5 days as follows: Sunday 13, Monday 14, Tuesday 15, Wednesday 16 and Thursday 17 November 2011.

And was the young 10lb claimer Winston ‘convicted’ for exceeding the 8 strokes decreed in the new rules?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Thanks for your swift apology and admission that you were wrong about there having been no whip bans today, "Steeps". But that would be a bit "steep" for you, I expect. Don’t bolt your tea, dear heart.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

Thanks for your swift apology and admission that you were wrong about there having been no whip bans today, "Steeps". But that would be a bit "steep" for you, I expect. Don’t bolt your tea, dear heart.

I’ll take it from that the young fella stayed within the new strokes rule :D

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4609

Total of six hits, four of them delivered in rapid succession giving the horse absolutely no time to respond.

Would have been a ban under the old rules and absolutely nothing to do with the new whip rules.

An open and shut case and he deserved the ban.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Thank you Paul –

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4576

Re thread title…

eddie case

just managed to rain on your parade…

Ho, hum

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4609

Thank you Paul –

I have to say we were, initially, surprised with the ban having automatically assumed it was to do with the new whip rules.

So we replayed the race from the start, waiting for him hit the horse and ready to count, but when we got to the closing stages and began counting, it became obvious what the ban was for and that was subsequently confirmed by the Stipe.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4576

Peter Buchanan got a ban for a similar offence on Pena Dorada at Uttoxeter on Friday. Sentence – Three days due to good behaviour over the previous 12 months.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26574

Wasn’t it great to see Maurice Linehan, a 10 lb claimer, ride a horse with plenty of "character" to victory at Huntingdon today? Last to first! Hope those who thought it would be impossible for this type of horse to win within the rules TAKE A LOOK!

You could just feel David Yates squirm with disappointment as he realised Linehan had kept to the rules.

Well done Maurice!

value is everything
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.