The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Cross Fence/Hurdle

Home Forums Horse Racing The Cross Fence/Hurdle

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

This is something I should know and may have forgotten. I know I’ll get a quick answer from the brains trust here, it’s been bugging me for the last few days…..

What exactly do they mean by the cross fence or hurdle? If the chase course runs outside the hurdles course why do they need to cross?

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Is it the fence / hurdle that they jump as they cross from the back straight into the home straight?

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Well according to ebay…. The cross fence is in an expanding fence available in two diffrent heights. Gates are also available to match.
    They will email you with cost of delivery dependant on quantity of order, :lol:

Think your right mate :wink:

EDIT: I just looked up Newbury The cross fence stands alone on the side of the track just before the turn into the home straight.

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

This is something you normally only hear about in Ireland but what is a regulation fence?

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

A ditch

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

Newbury not been the same since it’s cross hurdle was moved. :(

Bring it back!!! :D

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Cross fences for me are at Aintree on the Mildmay course,Newbury on the run from the back to the home straight,Wincanton for the same reason also Sedgefield has one.

Ten Plus
    • Total Posts 812

The open ditch is called the "regulation" because in the regulations/rules there has to be an open ditch – why don’t we use the term in UK??

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Funnily enough Carvills (and perhaps sadly), I was wondering the same myself on Saturday

Anyone got the answer?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’ve always assumed it to be any fence where they pass from one straight to the other, putting the fence at a right angle (or cross) to all the others – on a conventionally shaped course that is?

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Thats what I had thought.

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

As has been said, a cross fence or hurdle is the one on an oval course that is on the section between the straights like they have at Aintree and Newbury. A regulation fence is the Irish term for an open ditch because steeplechasing regulations say there should be at least 2 ditches per circuit.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Finally some useful replies, thanks Reet and MCFC.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.