The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Champion Hurdle 2013

Home Forums Archive Topics The Champion Hurdle 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 215 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

I know My Tent Or YOurs gave him a sound beating there but would it put you off backing Cotton Mill?

25/1 seems massive since he isnt keen on heavy ground (maybe the shorter 2m helped him cope), so with better ground, being off that long and the hill also a help I can see him running a massive race.

You would have to doubt whether he could reverse the form but in my opinion he enhanced his prospects of running a place. Obviously, he does need the ground to dry but on the plus side he did enough last year to show he acts on the track. Supreme or Champion Hurdle we don’t know how well or otherwise My Tent Or Yours will handle Cheltenham.

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Grandouet misses the Kingwell and heads straight to the CH.

Ground concerns rather than the ‘injury’ apparently.

I was a lot happier with my AP bet a week ago :|

Lee

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

As someone who has his absolutes on him, just happy he is still a possible for the race. As long as he turns up, should at least place.

Participant
    • Total Posts 89

Grandouet misses the Kingwell and heads straight to the CH.

Ground concerns rather than the ‘injury’ apparently.

I was a lot happier with my AP bet a week ago :|

Lee

Me also Lee. Definite concern that he goes there not only with an interrupted preparation but lack of race fitness too :(

Participant
    • Total Posts 32979

Grandouet has a good record fresh SYT, so I don’t see the lack of a run as a problem. However, it would concern me that he’s fragile and may get another slight injury, ruling him out of the big day.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

I wish I shared your optimism Ginge but I see nothing in his profile to suggest he goes well fresh.

Yes, his form has been accetable but other than looking like the winner of a weak Eilte hurdle back in 2011 (in receipt of weight from Celestial Halo) he has never won first time out.

The ‘1’ at the beginning of last season being misleading as at came in the Champion 4yo at Punchestown in May.

As I said, it’s not bad – just not that good either.

Lee

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

I think it’s clutching at straws to think a horse can go there on the back of one run in December (when not 100% ready), having had an intrerrupted preparation and be able to run to his full potential.
    He may yet win, which would be one hell of a training achievement and performance from the horse, but now I rate his chance 4th of thebig 4,which is a shame because I am sitting on a very nice payout if eithe The Fly or Grandouet win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

Agree Shack, he was the big danger to The Fly for me but this preparation leaves me cold for his chances now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Agree Shack, he was the big danger to The Fly for me but this preparation leaves me cold for his chances now.

Yes Pants, 26 days and counting ,slowly, however i’m sure there’ll be more twists and turns along the way before post time!

Participant
    • Total Posts 32979

I wish I shared your optimism Ginge but I see nothing in his profile to suggest he goes well fresh.

Yes, his form has been accetable but other than looking like the winner of a weak Eilte hurdle back in 2011 (in receipt of weight from Celestial Halo) he has never won first time out.

The ‘1’ at the beginning of last season being misleading as at came in the Champion 4yo at Punchestown in May.

As I said, it’s not bad – just not that good either.

Lee

I don’t judge "running well fresh" on the Punchestown run at all Lee, as you say that was effectively the last run of his first season. Coming only exactly one month after his Aintree fall.

The Elite was one race when "fresh". Where after 6 months off didn’t just look like beating Celestial Halo, he looked like cruising to victory before falling 2 out.

It’s also imo far too simplistic judging a horse’s form solely on the number 1 finishing position. Grandouet’s 2 lengths second, giving Zarkander 4 lbs on reappearance this season (with 6 lengths back to an admittedly below par Rock On Ruby (levels)… was

at least

as good a form performance as anything he’s achieved previously… And that run came after a whole year off :shock: .

So imo Grandouet can with great confidence be said to be "fully effective fresh".

Value Is Everything
    harvey2000
    • Total Posts 133

Can’t say I saw anything today that would enhance Zarkandar’s claims to win the Champion. Ok, he has won as a 1/3 chance should, but in all honesty, if Khyber Kim hadn’t landed on all four’s over the last two hurdles, it’s quite possible he could have beaten Zarkandar after 600 and however many days off the track. Clearly Zarkandar needs a sterner test or a quicker pace, but the fact Khyber Kim was going almost as well as him two from home, must say something.
    This year’s race is becoming a bit of a conundrum, considering the doubts surrounding all the main protagonists…..
    Was Rock On Ruby a fluke? Or is he that underrated?
    Will Grandouet get there in one piece?
    Is Hurricane Fly a small field Ireland bully and last year was an off day? Or is he the short price favourite he deserves to be?
    Does Zarkandar need further, does he have the pace for this race?
    Is Binocular the horse he was?
    All things considered, if you take literal form through Khyber Kim, can Zarkandar beat an in form Binocular after Khyber Kim’s effort today after nearly two years off?
    It’s a tragedy Darlan is not here, because he is starting to look like the good horse people were claiming, especially as now, Rock On Ruby is the one with the form in the book, against the good thing that is Hurricane Fly.

It’s late, hope I don’t sound like I’m rambling!

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Can’t say I saw anything today that would enhance Zarkandar’s claims to win the Champion. Ok, he has won as a 1/3 chance should, but in all honesty, if Khyber Kim hadn’t landed on all four’s over the last two hurdles, it’s quite possible he could have beaten Zarkandar after 600 and however many days off the track. Clearly Zarkandar needs a sterner test or a quicker pace, but the fact Khyber Kim was going almost as well as him two from home, must say something.
    This year’s race is becoming a bit of a conundrum, considering the doubts surrounding all the main protagonists…..
    Is Hurricane Fly a small field Ireland bully and last year was an off day? Or is he the short price favourite he deserves to be?
    All things considered, if you take literal form through Khyber Kim, can Zarkandar beat an in form Binocular after Khyber Kim’s effort today after nearly two years off?
    It’s a tragedy Darlan is not here, because he is starting to look like the good horse people were claiming, especially as now, Rock On Ruby is the one with the form in the book, against the good thing that is Hurricane Fly.

Valid questions Harvey, but have you got an opinion on the outcome?:-)

harvey2000
    • Total Posts 133

I backed Binocular some time ago, but the way events have turned out, at the prices, Rock On Ruby has done nothing wrong since becoming champion last March.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Zarkander won easy I thought, Jacob should of left the whip alone cause he didn’t need to use it.

Can never ever back Hurricane Fly at the price, would only get into him that price if the skies opened and it came a bog.

Will probably back Cotton Mill nice big price and will probably run well if given the chance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32979

:(

Value Is Everything
    harvey2000
    • Total Posts 133

It looks as though connections prefer sticking to the novice route for My Tent Or Yours. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that will happen.
    If Binocular is not showing much at home, then he could well be switched last minute. If Binocular is the only one to show up in the Champion and MTOY runs in the novice, then could be a tip in itself as to Binocular’s well being.

harvey2000
    • Total Posts 133

Just read my last post again, and I was stating the blindingly obvious. What I mean is, they have an exciting prospect in MTOY who looks as though he could cope with the step up to champion level, but would they do that if Binocualr is firing at home?

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 215 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.