The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Champion Hurdle 2013

Home Forums Archive Topics The Champion Hurdle 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 215 total)
  • Author
    Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

Hurricane Fly: To write off Hurricane Fly after this years debacle would be very foolish. There must be a question about his actual well being on the day as his run was too bad to be true.

However a lot will change between now and next season and backing him AP would be the last thing on my mind.

The best time to back him for those that want to is the minute he is confirmed to run somewhere pre-Xmas. I he follows the same route as this year I wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole.

Binocular: Shocking ride this year but even with the best will in the world I couldn’t fancy him to win it again. I hear Nicky is very likely to step him up in trip next season which could be interesting if he does.

Rock On Ruby: One of one time winner if ever I saw one. Wouldn’t back him to win the race again at 20/1. NO one is going to let him out of there sights next year and there are better than him around.

Grandouet: When watching him and Sprinter Sacre as novices you could swear they both fell out of the same melting pot. The long loping stride and the ease in which they both traveled caught my eye and led me to believe both could end up being a bit special.
    A bit special would be the understatement of the year if said now about Sprinter Sacre now whereas Grandouet has still to prove he is top notch at his chosen event.

He went a long way towards doing just that when slamming Overturn in the International Hurdle. For me he won that race so easily had he been giving Overturn weight instead of receiving weight (4lbs) he still have beat him with ease.

If he is over his injury he must be a major player next season and I’d have him before Rock on Ruby and day of the week.

Spirit Son: I really took to this horse as a novice when he kicked Jonjo’s Palace Jester aside with so much ease I thought he must be something special. I was sick as a parrot when he was beaten in the Supreme but he didn’t half make amends at Aintree when slamming Cue Card and leaving Rock on Ruby over 20 lengths in his wake. It’s little wonder Nicky Henderson reckons he could be top class with a plus.

He was off for a full season and has a lot to prove but that said if Nicky’s judgement is right Spirit Son is probably the biggest danger to Grandouet next season

Cinders and Ashes: I got no qualms about him he did me a huge favour this season by winning the Supreme but the crop may not be good enough and I’ll be surprised if he ends up being Champion Hurdle class. It will be interesting to see what Donald McCain has planned for him.

Darlan: He had a pretty rough time of it this season for a young horse. He could improve immensely for the rest and end up overtaking Cinders and Ashes despite losing to him in the Supreme.

He looks another typical Henderson type who will be a much stronger horse next year and like Grandouet is a great traveler.
    I would expect him to take over where Binocular left off and be JP’s number 1 hope for next years race.

Boring as it may seem to others this will probably end up a case of Hurricane Fly bouncing back to his best and which of Nicky Henderson’s trio of Spirit Son Darlan and Grandouet is most likely to beat him.

I’ll stick with Grandouet who will be even stronger next season and the perfect age for the race.

Grandouet 14/1

Euro
    • Total Posts 404

Certainly looks a better race to get stuck into than this year’s renewal. Missed the initial 20s but have got 16s about Spirit Son. Not too bothered about the season off as I don’t think it was anything serious and of course the trainer has previous with getting fragile animals to win a Champion Hurdle.

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Good write up ‘Hurdy’but you are on the wrong Henderson horse here my friend!

Spirit Son

was my ‘Ante-Post Banker’ of all bankers for this years festival,I fancied him big time,I haven’t been put off him one bit for next years race and will certainly snaffle what double figure prices I can before then.(He owes me)! :twisted:
    However my number 1 selection for the 2013 Champion Hurdle is without any doubt

Darlan

,I just see so much scope in the horse its unreal,his improvement over the past 4 months is quite phenomenal and with natural mental and physical development to come I see him being trained with the race as his prime target,(Always a good sign)! I’ve taken 20/1 3 times already and keep topping up on the machine,he’ll get the ‘Binocular’ treatment from now on though so dont expect to see him at his best till the day in question,bit like most of my Ante-Post wagers do! :wink:

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

My worry with Darlan is how highly does NH rate him and does he see him as a Champion Hurdle horse. If he does I would imagine he’s 3rd on the pecking list at best.

It slightly concerns me he was thrown into the Tote Trophy and then the Supreme. The question is would he have done that if he thought the horse did, as I suggested, would benefit a lot for another year.

By running him in two such tough races it’s almost like he was saying he’s matured already.

I’d reckon he’s sure to go for the Tote Trophy again like Punjabi did while the other two will go the usual trial route. Darlan could end up more of a Get Me Out of Here than a Hurricane Fly.

I think any of the Henderson Trio are capable of chancing any of our minds before next March and we might still get in wrong.

Some eejit was trying to tell me Oscar Whisky would have won the race this year and he’s the on for next season…….there’s one in every village :lol:

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1792

I fancied Spirit Son for this year’s race, and the second Rock On Ruby romped away with it certainly made me raise an eyebrow with him in mind for next year. Given a full year of health and the right amount of progression he will surely prove that he is overpriced at the moment. He’s the one for me.

@TheTomBarkley87

JJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2033

Can already predict the tricast!

Grandouet – Darlan – Spirit Son.

Hednerson 1-2-3.

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

I was really hoping to see a sparkling return from Hurricane Fly but I have to say he disappointing me big time.

He won ok the ground was awful but even at that he just doesn’t look the same horse.

I keep thinking back to Willie Mullins saying how worried he was and the big market drift on his first run of the season.

For sure he’s still very good but I fear he’s lost some of his sparkle, is not the same horse he was, and may never be again.

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

BB – were you and Zarkava separated at birth by chance?! Your post is uncannily like his; that unflinching arrogance….welcome back!

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5551

Is there any way of preventing the above rot? :|

Billymag
    • Total Posts 39

Simonsig for me think he will start a short price fav come the day and Im happy to take the risk that he stays hurdling at 12/1.

SolarEclipse
    • Total Posts 59

Not ready to right off Hurricanr Fly just yet but I`m a big fan of Grandoute so I`ll be having a bit of both An Post. :) not convinced on any of the newcomers but wary of spirit son.

darranm3
    • Total Posts 121

Overturn is going chasing im told.

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

I would hold back on those best from those of you who fancy Spirit Son. I took the liberty of contacting Nicky Henderson and he said he isn’t even back in training yet and it could be a long time before he sees a racecourse again. Grandouet on the other hand is in fine fettle and is his best chance by far of winning the race again………..take that 12/1 lads :mrgreen:

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

I think this years Champion Hurdle was one of those odd ball ones that are thrown up every so often. The winner has run the race of his life never to be repeated again.

So I certainly wouldn’t be knocking Hurricane Fly as we saw last time out he has obviously retained that ability to quicken like most horses simply can’t match.

However he is getting older and WM was very concerned about his well being for most of last season so we can only hope he comes back in fit and well.

That said when you see the likes of Thousand Stars losing 5 consecutive races you get the feeling he’s coming to the end of his tether then he bounces back like a 2yo and wins 2 top notch races in France it send a clear message. "Never underestimate Willie Mullins"

Perpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

Spirit Son out for another season :(

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/horse_home.sd?horse_id=766508#topHorseTabs=horse_stories&bottomHorseTabs=horse_form

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1792

Spirit Son out for another season :(

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/horse_home.sd?horse_id=766508#topHorseTabs=horse_stories&bottomHorseTabs=horse_form

Horrible news that, the horse was carrying my first bit of ante-post money for the season ahead. Such potential as well, hope he gets back and fulfills his promise someday.

@TheTomBarkley87

JJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2033

Lump on Grandouet and don’t look back.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 215 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.