The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Champion Hurdle 2013

Home Forums Archive Topics The Champion Hurdle 2013

Viewing 11 posts - 205 through 215 (of 215 total)
  • Author
    RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Id say they are up there, Rock on Ruby produced one of the fastest ever Champion Hurdles, not near Istabraqs but fast none the less definitely a vintage crop.

Although Hurricane Fly definitely needs soft to be at his absolute best no doubt, found it hard to brush Rock On Ruby off even on his ground, would have Rock On Ruby anyday on decent ground.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3360

"Hurricane Flyer" on the BBC 10 o’clock news last night :roll:

Do any of their sports reporters know much about sport?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

"Hurricane Flyer" on the BBC 10 o’clock news last night :roll:

Do any of their sports reporters know much about sport?

:shock: If they can’t get that name right, imagine if Arvika Ligeonniere had won the Arkle!

The Humpty Dancer
    • Total Posts 45

Great win from HF. Don’t think that he was at his best either. Ruby went too soon but once he had niggled him to get closer it would have been daft to hold him back up. But as suggested, they had cut each others throats upfront.

Would love to have seen both Darlan and Go Native in the race, it could have been something special.

Participant
    • Total Posts 648

Shabby, Shack, hope you enjoyed that as much as I did? :D

• Total Posts 638

Very much so Pants, very much so.

• Total Posts 2440

Just watched the race again, what a great performance from Hurricane Fly. I thought when I watched the race initially that he wasn’t racing that well, and from viewing the replay, my opinion doesn’t change.

However, what a gutsy horse, and a great finish in the race from the first 4.

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Indeed Pants, we gave him a great reception. Got a few strange looks off people who’d clearly not backed him :mrgreen:

I still sense he’s not been given full credit for the Champion he is by the press, all because he put in one below par effort in last year’s champion, which is totally unjust.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

It wasn’t below par, I think he ran even better in 2012, Rock On Ruby put up a very fast time and Hurricane Fly put up a faster time than his 2011 effort.

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

It wasn’t below par, I think he ran even better in 2012, Rock On Ruby put up a very fast time and Hurricane Fly put up a faster time than his 2011 effort.

According to Ruby And Willie he was below par. Time isn’t everything – the going and wind factor wasn’t the same each year.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Hindsight they said, beforehand not one Mullins would have defeat for him and neither Walsh.

Times are very consistent with how good a horse is imo in the Champion, best two runs from Istabraq, worst Punjabi and Katchit.

I’d be surprised if he can hold on to his crown next year if the going is good, maybe a bit unfair with him being 10 next year.

Viewing 11 posts - 205 through 215 (of 215 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.